Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=973245)

hack 09-23-14 10:56 AM

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Didn't see a thread (yes there is a whole forum dedicated to it...but whatever) for pro cycling discussion.

With that, US Jr's did quite well in the world championship TT today with a 2nd and a 5th. Bay area kids, too.

Dolamite02 09-23-14 11:17 AM

This'll last long.

mattm 09-23-14 11:51 AM

Which Bay area kids?

Also just saw a replay of the/a crash in the Women's TTT at Worlds, yikes.. I forget which team but ouch! Broken pelvis.

Btw since I got Universal Sports back (via Dishworld) I can barely keep up with all the cycling that's on..

caloso 09-23-14 11:59 AM

I saw the video. Looked like the lead rider really overcooked the turn and her front wheel caught one of the feet of the barriers, which caused her to endo and take out a teammate. Clearly rider error but why in the world would you line a course, especially a corner, with barriers that have feet that extend into the road? The Amgen Sacramento stage this year had barriers for the last 200m but they had smooth signage boards all the way to the street surface.

hack 09-23-14 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mattm (Post 17155732)
Which Bay area kids?

Also just saw a replay of the/a crash in the Women's TTT at Worlds, yikes.. I forget which team but ouch! Broken pelvis.

Btw since I got Universal Sports back (via Dishworld) I can barely keep up with all the cycling that's on..

Costa got 2nd and Mostov got 5th.

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 17155755)
I saw the video. Looked like the lead rider really overcooked the turn and her front wheel caught one of the feet of the barriers, which caused her to endo and take out a teammate. Clearly rider error but why in the world would you line a course, especially a corner, with barriers that have feet that extend into the road? The Amgen Sacramento stage this year had barriers for the last 200m but they had smooth signage boards all the way to the street surface.

Not quite world level...but the Folsom Cyclebration uses those barriers and I clipped a pedal on one of them last year. Didn't crash but scared the crap out of me.

caloso 09-23-14 12:11 PM

That's my point. Clipped pedal (and pucker factor) v. endo (and broken pelvis)

Ygduf 09-23-14 04:15 PM

when I solo bridged for 15 minutes to zeke's break at Dunnigan hills he told me he was going to win the TT. Liar.

echappist 09-23-14 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 17155755)

essentially the same type of barriers that sent Stybar somersaulting at Eneco. They ought to get rid of these atrocious barriers.

valygrl 09-23-14 06:56 PM

And a 3rd and an 8th - Stevens & Powers.

Doge 09-23-14 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 17156493)
when I solo bridged for 15 minutes to zeke's break at Dunnigan hills he told me he was going to win the TT. Liar.

Wait till they start doing real P/1/2 races.

echappist 09-23-14 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by valygrl (Post 17156967)
And a 3rd and an 8th - Stevens & Powers.

or possibly a 2nd and 7th, if you catch the drift ;)

YMCA 09-24-14 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by echappist (Post 17156855)
essentially the same type of barriers that sent Stybar somersaulting at Eneco. They ought to get rid of these atrocious barriers.

It's what every Euro village owns. They are stable in the wind and useful for all kinds of events. The riders know they are there; it's what it is. Cost-prohibitive to make roads "perfect" for a race now and then.

YMCA 09-24-14 06:18 AM

Mens ITT today.
Wiggo and Martin are basically shoe-ins for 1-2 in some order.
Let's say Wiggo 1st; for something different.
3rd up for grabs.
I'll take Rohan.

abhirama 09-24-14 08:55 AM

Wiggins wins. It's interesting to see some change, heh. Also, he says he'll attempt the hour record next year.

hack 09-24-14 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by YMCA (Post 17157792)
Mens ITT today.
Wiggo and Martin are basically shoe-ins for 1-2 in some order.
Let's say Wiggo 1st; for something different.
3rd up for grabs.
I'll take Rohan.

Good call and impressive win by Wiggins. Close to 30 seconds is a pretty big margin over Martin.

echappist 09-25-14 09:53 AM

alright, more speculations for the upcoming weekend

For men

Caddy: GvA
Steakknives: Cancellara
Fired: Rui Costa
Top riders (no particular order) are: Gerrans, Evans, Valverde, Gilbert, Martin, Navardauskas, Mollema

Kwiatokowski seems too tired from a full season's racing, and Uran is probably still recovering from the sickness that made him withdraw from the Vuelta. No Degenkolb as he's recovering from an infection, and Sagan seems to be way out of shape. I'll eat crow if the pie-fueled Slovak wunderkind wins it.

For women

Caddy: Lizzie Armitstead
Steakknives: Shelly Olds
Fired: Pauline Ferrand-Prevot

Stevens, Powers, Vos, Johansson, Cromwell, Longo Borghini, Worrack

MDcatV 09-25-14 10:25 AM

I think Vos will win both the women's and the men's road race

hack 09-25-14 10:36 AM

For the men, I'm leaning toward Degenkolb. If not him, someone like Vanmarcke could sneak in a win.
For the women (they really only get to race 1/2 the distance of the men??), I'll go Vos.

Will be interesting to see how the US Jrs do. Pretty solid team of CA kids in the mix (Maddux, Costa, and Mostov).

echappist 09-25-14 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MDcatV (Post 17161557)
I think Vos will win both the women's and the men's road race

is that what the Vos says?

Doge 09-27-14 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by hack (Post 17155560)
Didn't see a thread (yes there is a whole forum dedicated to it...but whatever) for pro cycling discussion.

With that, US Jr's did quite well in the world championship TT today with a 2nd and a 5th. Bay area kids, too.

Got me thinking there would be benefit in our National RR courses having similar profiles to the World Championship courses.
The Bay area kids are great. This course, and the junior gears are not ideal for strong riders. While the USA took the deserving riders, on this course, maybe sprinters would have been a better choice for this WC RR. Junior road races really do need to have a finishing section that rewards power over aerodynamics and spin. All the US riders getting behind a crash, was one of those things, but again a tougher climbing course (like the US National course) might have helped a lot as they may not have been together behind the crash - at least if the ITT results, and earlier Euro RRs are an indicator.

hack 09-27-14 02:08 PM

Thanks for the video. German kid almost with an early celebration there.

Re: US selection, I'm surprised they didn't pick kids more ideal for the course. Unless they did and the race didn't play out as expected.

Doge 09-27-14 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by hack (Post 17167335)
Re: US selection, I'm surprised they didn't pick kids more ideal for the course. Unless they did and the race didn't play out as expected.

I don't think that comes into play at all. Any winner of a Nations Cup race gets to go, as well as the US National Champion. Then they pick supporting riders.

I would like to see a hill finish for RR and not a sprint. 2015 USA Nationals are in Tahoe. Not so much like Richmond, VA which looks more like a Euro Kermesse. Richmond at least has a 500m climb before the end.
Next year - Road Circuit (Note the term Circuit).

In my opinion the USA kids would do better in a TDF mountain stage race. We (USA) don't spin like most the other countries do and we tend to have harder (more up hill) courses in the US than the Euro juniors do. I think that's OK, as the big money comes later. But its hard to win a junior worlds RR living in the USA and racing under UCI gear restrictions.

abhirama 09-28-14 04:36 AM

Live stream from the men's race. Phil Liggett is being made to look like a fool by his co-commentator, Jose Been. I wish she talked more and he less (or even better, not at all).

ShutUpLegs 09-28-14 06:36 AM

Anybody watch the women's race yesterday? Armistead had the perfect move with 4 of them coming to finish and none of them worked. I guess they figured if they dragged Vos to the line she was the best sprinter, but can't was an interesting finale.

abhirama 09-28-14 07:18 AM

Rooting for Tony Martin although it's very very unlikely he'll make it the whole way. edit: ah, that lasted for much lesser than i thought it'd.