Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Paint Protectant for Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185292)

one4smoke 10-08-19 07:50 AM

Paint Protectant for Bikes

I'm surprised there's not a paint protectant, sealant or wax specifically designed for bicycles to protect from UV rays (first and foremost), dirt, grime, etc...

We have Bike Lust, but from what I gather it doesn't protect from UV. It's also silicone based, which I don't particularly care for. There are a few others from Finish Line and Pro Gold, but who knows which may be best?

Conventional wisdom would suggest that a company that has vast experience in this area such as Meguire's, HD or Mother's would be the way to go. After all, if it's good enough for a $300,000 Ferrari ...why not a bike frame? Unless... car paint clear coats are much tougher than those that Trek, Specialized or Giant might provide. Could car wax, sealants and protectants be too strong for bikes, and do more harm than good?

tagaproject6 10-08-19 07:55 AM

Too much had wringing over bike paint. Get the wax you want and use it. Where do you keep your bikes ? And what harm do you believe these waxes will do?

Koyote 10-08-19 07:59 AM

It's a bike, not the Mona Lisa. If you're using it correctly, it will develop some patina.

If scratches really bug you, buy some touch-up paint. Testor's model paint is fine, as is nail polish in an appropriate hue.

indyfabz 10-08-19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 21154845)
I'm surprised there's not a paint protectant, sealant or wax specifically designed for bicycles to protect from UV rays (first and foremost), dirt, grime, etc...

We have Bike Lust, but from what I gather it doesn't protect from UV. It's also silicone based, which I don't particularly care for. There are a few others from Finish Line and Pro Gold, but who knows which may be best?

The first two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

one4smoke 10-08-19 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21154862)
The first two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

Not really, as UV protection was what I was eluding to, and the bike specific products mentioned apparently doesn't protect from that. But, I suppose I should've also said "I'm surprised there's not a big brand name paint protectant, sealant or wax specifically designed for bicycles to protect from UV rays (first and foremost), dirt, grime, etc..."

And by big brand name, I'm speaking of the Meguire's, HD, etc... Companies that know what they're doing.

With the price tag on bicycles these days, you'd think there would be a market for it now.

I-Like-To-Bike 10-08-19 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 21154883)
With the price tag on bicycles these days, you'd think there would be a market for it now.

With the likely quantity of high priced bikes sold to overly OC types, I'm surprised there is any market for such a niche product.

m3tal070 10-08-19 10:27 AM

Mobile repair vans for bicycles are a thing, why not wax/detail services too? Maybe a little extra to touch up lettering on your tires tho...

BlazingPedals 10-08-19 10:54 AM

I've never visibly damaged my bikes by using car wax/protectant on them.

Koyote 10-08-19 11:36 AM

I can't recall ever seeing faded paint on a bike...Is this a big problem?

Ditto for the concern about dirt. On my bikes, it generally washes right off with soapy water.

pdlamb 10-08-19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21155190)

Don't think so.

My wife's car needs a new paint job after about a dozen years sitting outside in all weather. My oldest bike, about the same vintage, is protected at least half the time (inside a shed or garage). The bike's enamel paint has suffered more from dings and rubbing against fenceposts, light poles, benches, etc. than it has from the sun. If it were powder coated, it'd look much better.

But how many people will keep one bike for 12 years or more? To read these fora you'd think you needed to look for dinosaur eggs to find 9-speed parts that were state of the art that long ago.

Phil_gretz 10-08-19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21155190)

I have an orange road bike that I have ridden periodically to work over the last 2 1/2 years or so. I always park it facing the same way in our bike rack. It now has significant paint fading on the frame where the sun is most direct. It's considerable.

Do I care? No. Is it a big problem? It would be on a $150,000 sports car. On my bike? Nope.

I have restored several older bikes (most notably a yellow '72 Fuji Special Road Racer) where the fading made paint matching the chips an ordeal. I had to mix various amounts of white and yellow to match the gradations of color fade as I touched it up. It came out okay, but it became involved.

Flip Flop Rider 10-08-19 01:45 PM

pledge

Ald1 10-08-19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21155041)
With the likely quantity of high priced bikes sold to overly OC types, I'm surprised there is any market for such a niche product.

There is........https://www.bicyclearmor.com

one4smoke 10-08-19 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ald1 (Post 21155628)

Wow! I asked for it, didn't I? :thumb:

That's about the equivalent of a second clear coat, or more. Looks like you really need to be qualified to apply it.

Far cry from ...Pledge. ;)

Wilmingtech 10-08-19 06:52 PM

I use turtle wax T-96r protectant. Been using for years and it is fantastic. Nice shine on the paint and leaves a UV protectant. Also makes washing the bike a breeze (Prevents dirt and grime from getting a good grip on the paint)

It's great for shining up the tires, metal, all the black shimano components. If you like a nice slippery leather seat it will do the job there as well. It's great for a quick wipe down of the bike before heading out on a group ride.

If they come out with a specific "Bike Spray" it will be this or something similar with a different label.

wolfchild 10-08-19 06:55 PM

Bubble wrap it and don't ride it.

GlennR 10-08-19 07:48 PM

When you clean your frame, it will remove any wax.

Clean it, rider it... repeat.

This reminds me of the guys that lease Corvettes who go to cruise nights and spend the time dusting their car. They then turn them in after 2 years with only a few thousand miles.. Personally, if all I wanted to do was impress people, i'd get get huge implants for my wife. They'd last longer and are much more fun to wax.

coopman 10-08-19 08:02 PM

You crack me up, Glenn.

dedhed 10-08-19 08:03 PM

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ive-spray-wax/

one4smoke 10-08-19 08:13 PM

Geez, you guys can sure make a mountain out of a mole hill...

I just want a decent paint sealant to protect my bike paint from UV rays, dirt and grime! Yeah, who doesn't like their bike to look good, but my concern is to preserve my $5,000 investment to the best of my ability for a while. Maybe some of you don't give a rat's azz and just ride one until the wheels fall of ...then simply buy another. I don't know.

You boys sure can be absolute jerks sometimes.

one4smoke 10-08-19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech (Post 21155817)
I use turtle wax T-96r protectant. Been using for years and it is fantastic. Nice shine on the paint and leaves a UV protectant. Also makes washing the bike a breeze (Prevents dirt and grime from getting a good grip on the paint)

It's great for shining up the tires, metal, all the black shimano components. If you like a nice slippery leather seat it will do the job there as well. It's great for a quick wipe down of the bike before heading out on a group ride.

If they come out with a specific "Bike Spray" it will be this or something similar with a different label.

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 21155899)

Thanks, fellas for the info. I'm glad you guys have enough sense to not only help with the topic, but to also know your not a comedian. :rolleyes:

I-Like-To-Bike 10-08-19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by one4smoke (Post 21155909)
Geez, you guys can sure make a mountain out of a mole hill...

I just want a decent paint sealant to protect my bike paint from UV rays, dirt and grime! Yeah, who doesn't like their bike to look good, but my concern is to preserve my $5,000 investment to the best of my ability for a while. Maybe some of you don't give a rat's azz and just ride one until the wheels fall of ...then simply buy another. I don't know.

You boys sure can be absolute jerks sometimes.

Perhaps some of us boys consider a bicycle as something to enjoy by riding it rather than thinking of it as an "investment" that needs to be protected from loss in $ value. A better "investment" for your $5000 to avoid depreciation would have been to stuff it under your mattress; sunlight, ozone or rain wouldn't cause that $5000 "investment" to lose its shine.

one4smoke 10-08-19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21155921)
Perhaps some of us boys consider a bicycle as something to enjoy by riding it rather than thinking of it as an "investment" that needs to be protected from loss in $ value. A better "investment" for your $5000 to avoid depreciation would have been to stuff it under your mattress; sunlight, ozone or rain wouldn't cause that $5000 "investment" to lose its shine.

And then there's some that don't realize they're not...

Let me 'splain this to you... "Investment" is a term we use around here for something that costs a "pretty penny" ...another term we use.

Loose Chain 10-08-19 08:39 PM

Pure Carnauba wax.

one4smoke 10-08-19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Loose Chain (Post 21155936)
Pure Carnauba wax.

I hear this one is pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/P21S-12700W-C...52687044&psc=1