Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Hard to steer? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=444601)

Cheeto 07-22-08 07:04 PM

Hard to steer?

My bike is hard to turn now, it's like the headset is sticking now. Any ideas? Do I have to take it all back apart and clean it?

scrublover 07-22-08 07:15 PM

Yes. Don't overtighten your headset this time.

Cyclist30907654 07-22-08 07:15 PM

Is it "indexed"?

251 07-22-08 07:18 PM

Look here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

ed 07-22-08 07:26 PM

Cheeto, remember this:

Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 7113801)
And how do you know that I can't wrench a bike? Time have changed since I first started riding. Drive trains are no problem now.
Really, If I had the tools, I believe I could do it all.

This thread combined with your "new fork and headset" thread are both exactly why I KNOW that you can't "wrench a bike". It's good that you're learning how to do it, but don't claim to or insinuate that you know how to work on bikes if all you can do is adjust your RD. You have to know how to diagnose the problem before you can fix it. You have to understand the mechanics of what you're riding before you can learn to wrench on it.

Don't get offended by this post like you did last time. It takes time to learn. It takes humility which you obviously have b/c you're asking for help in this thread.

I'm just trying to diffuse a bomb before it actually becomes a bomb.:thumb:

When you say "hard to steer", what do you mean exactly? Does it feel tight when the front of the bike is off the ground? Does it steer slower than it used to when you're on the trail? Explain a bit more.

Cheeto 07-22-08 09:04 PM

It's tight, and god damnit scrublover, I'm not an idiot, Even if I loosen it up quite a bit its hard to turn.
It's just tight.

And, I can wrench a Bike, But I like to know what to wrench before hand.
Put it this way, I may not be able to Diagnose it, But I can perform the surgery.

I just want to know WHY it's not right before I grab the scalpel.

mx_599 07-22-08 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 7113801)
My bike is hard to turn now, it's like the headset is sticking now. Any ideas? Do I have to take it all back apart and clean it?

do you try to create problems?

mx

Trekbikedude 07-22-08 09:07 PM

yea

if you took the headset apart, I bet you put a race or something upside down so make sure everything is in the correct orientation I remember on my headset on my old trek, it self destructed if you can't tune it out, I suggest replacing the headset with a cartridge bearing model like an fsa or something like that or If you want the best in the industry, get a king.

Siu Blue Wind 07-22-08 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 7114404)
It's tight, and god damnit scrublover, I'm not an idiot, Even if I loosen it up quite a bit its hard to turn.
It's just tight.

Put it this way, I may not be able to Diagnose it, But I can perform the surgery.

Are you loosening the stem as well as the headset?

Cheeto 07-22-08 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mx_599 (Post 7114415)
do you try to create problems?
sometimes. Sometimes its funny to see people instantly go to their first impressions and opinions and are of no help..

Oops, causing problems again.

mx

Originally Posted by Trekbikedude (Post 7114430)
if you took the headset apart, I bet you put a race or something upside down so make sure everything is in the correct orientation I remember on my headset on my old trek, it self destructed if you can't tune it out, I suggest replacing the headset with a cartridge bearing model like an fsa or something like that or If you want the best in the industry, get a king.

the Cane Creek was an upgrade part, I'll have to double check, but the guy that installed it knows his stuff.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 7114457)
Are you loosening the stem as well as the headset?

the bolt in the top it what i loosend.
If I loosen the stem, wouldn't that just make the bars spin round

scrublover 07-22-08 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 7114404)
It's just tight.

I never said you were an idiot. However, evidence to the contrary is rapidly piling up.

Either you overtightened it, left out some parts, put in extra parts, or have something that is the wrong size in there. Take it apart, look at it, see what's up.

How the hell are we supposed to diagnose it based on your extremely limited description of things? :rolleyes:

I'd not let you near my bikes with a ten foot chain ring nut tool.

Cheeto 07-22-08 09:24 PM

It'd be your loss.
I ask a lot of questions, Even If I already think I know the answer, that way I confirm my thought.

Limited description? How much more clear is
"It's hard to turn, it feels tighter"

Cheeto 07-22-08 09:27 PM

forget the thread, I'll get to it later.
myself.

kenhill3 07-22-08 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 7114495)

Cheeto-

You really need to bone up on your bike mechanics knowledge before ya start wrenching on stuff you're not familiar with. Time for some schooling at Park Tool.

Edit- Just 'cause I thought you should know- you need to do your headset bearing adjustment with the stem bolts LOOSE. When adjusted, align the bars and tighten the bolts back up.

Not meaning to offend you here. I enjoy your participation on the forum.

Cheeto 07-22-08 09:32 PM

the headset is not that complicated now.
It was in a spare parts box, I'm willing to bet the bearings are a little gunked up or something, I'll pull it apart and check,later.
WHile I'm doing that, I'll make sure nothing is upsidedown or what not.

scrublover 07-22-08 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 7114560)
It'd be your loss.
I ask a lot of questions, Even If I already think I know the answer, that way I confirm my thought.

Limited description? How much more clear is
"It's hard to turn, it feels tighter"

Nooooo, I don't think so.

Yes. Limited. Based on your limited description, you have been given several options/scenarios by myself and other forum members. That's all we can do, since you haven't actually pulled the thing apart to look at it yet. WTH do you want us do tell you, based on that?

To tight, too many parts, too few parts, broken parts, or the wrong parts. That's about it, without more information or pictures.

Yes, keep working on things, and yes, keep posting.

Siu Blue Wind 07-22-08 09:41 PM

Cheeto, seriously - try to loosen your stem bolts first. Then loosen the cap bolt slightly. Gently tighten the cap bolt and then the stem and see if it steers better.

What is happening is, when the stem is on tight, it is not allowing the cap bolt to loosen up on the headset. It's hard to understand until you try it and you can actually SEE what is happening. Try it before you tear it apart. :)

I know it's hard to believe that I might actually know what I'm doing but it worked for me when I had a hard time with mine.

Zephyr11 07-22-08 10:04 PM

I know I don't really post a lot here, so I'm not sure I'm "entitled" to be making posts like this or whatever, but it seems like you take a lot of things personally, particularly things that weren't intended that way, Cheeto. All I see here are people who are trying to help you, but you're just getting defensive.

And I can sort of see where some people might get offended when you say you can fix anything. There are people here who have been wrenching on their bikes from before you were born, and who probably still consider themselves learning. Plus, the knowledge of how to wrench on a bike also includes being able to identify what the problem is, along with repairing it.

It's great that you're learning to fix your bike, and asking knowledgeable people is a great way to go about learning, so you're moving in the right direction. Don't take this post as an attack...it's not intended that way. It's a reminder that not knowing how to do something isn't a bad thing, and asking for help is perfectly fine. But take people's suggestions and thank them for their help, rather than turn around and get angry with them.

pyroguy_3 07-22-08 10:20 PM

Please buy a copy of "Zinn and the art of mountain bike mechanics". It will save you a lot of time in searching out answers on a forum, it's nice to have when you're actually at your bike so you can just flip to the pages on headsets, and it's only ~$25-30 USD. Mine has taught me a huge amount, from rebuilding a headset, a drivetrain, and the transmission, to building and truing a set of wheels. It also has a handy troubleshooting section that lists problems, and then what chapter to look in. Ohhh, and torque tables for commonly used parts, if you do that sort of thing that is. Seriously, that book is in the top of the list of best bike related items ever purchased.

Siu Blue Wind 07-22-08 10:29 PM

I think he got mad and left. :( I wanted him to try my stem thing. :o

Cyclist30907654 07-22-08 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 7114495)

...That's was rather anticlimactic no? I was getting all excited that you MIGHT actually get something right this time (especially with comparing yourself to a doctor and all).

In all seriousness, I would advise you take some of the advice that's been posted here.

xcracer13 07-22-08 10:33 PM

Go to your school library and get a bike mechanic book......go to a bike shop and ask if you can intern for awhile. I did that and got my Salsa out of it =]

scrublover 07-22-08 11:22 PM

The Park Tools website is a valuable resource as well. Not to mention (in some cases) the manufacturers website of whatever your part may be.

ed 07-23-08 06:29 AM

cheeto:

The pressure of the stem against the headset could be causing it to be stiff. The headset cap/starnut bolt causes this initial pressure but the stem bolts (when tight) KEEP the pressure. It's like a sandwich. Your fork is the bottom piece of bread, headset/frame is the meat and cheese, and the stem is the top piece of bread.

First, I'd take it apart and mash some Phil Wood grease in there. It's inexpensive and great for headsets. Otherwise:

1. Loosen stem bolts.
2. Loosen starnut bolt.
3. Wobble crap back and forth a bit to loosen it up.
4. Begin to tighten star nut back down, but don't crank the heck out of it. Just get it snug and grab a front brake lever and rock your bike fore/aft. Tighten until there is no more "play" or looseness in the headset.
5. Snug the stem bolts a little.
6. Align the stem/fork so it's all straight.
7. Torque the stem bolts down tight.

junkyard 07-23-08 07:25 AM

It's probably the jethro bolt. Have you looked at that? Remember, it is half reverse thread, half regular thread. So, you have to know where the shaft is when tightening it.