Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This would hurt (Graphic Image warning) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178333)

Cyclist0108 07-14-19 07:48 PM

This would hurt (Graphic Image warning)

This wood hurt.

At least it didn't involve disc brakes.

Link: Independent (UK)

JonathanGennick 07-15-19 06:16 AM

Ouch! That hurts just to look at. And it was the wooden floor that splintered? One doesn't exactly expect a floor to do that. Glad he came through.

BobbyG 07-15-19 06:29 AM

Wow!

DrIsotope 07-15-19 07:34 AM

According to the story, in the wreck another bike's pedal caught the floor and lifted up one of the boards, and unfortunately for Gobbo, he slid right into it. Three hour surgery, apparently recovering well, should not have any long-term damage.

This is now the biggest splinter I've ever seen. In a woodshop class in college, another student brushed his forearm against a sheet of plywood leaning against some benches, and a splinter of the veneer went into his forearm-- the splinter went all the way from the wrist to the elbow and had to be surgically removed. This was the same guy who had some time earlier fractured his skull falling off of a downhill longboard. He asked to keep the splinter and was denied.

sdmc530 07-15-19 08:02 AM

I saw this and was like DAMN! I guess this happens from time to time on track cycling, these types on injuries are not uncommon?! WOW...I really wanted to try to ride on a velo some day just so I can say I have done that but my luck I would get shanked!

CliffordK 07-15-19 08:33 AM

Extraordinary!!!!

I have to wonder about the surface of the track. I thought the tracks were built somewhat like basketball courts, and it would take something pretty extreme to kick up half a board.

Apparently not all tracks.

:foo:

I'm seeing that pines and firs are the wood of choice. Are they more susceptible to damage and splintering than hardwoods?

MattTheHat 07-15-19 09:28 AM

I've read about board track racers (early motorcycle racing) having nasty stuff like that happen. But motorcycles are fairly heavy, even in those days, so you could see that happening. Bicycles, you'd think not so much.

By the way, I couldn't finish reading the story...I got board.

-Matt

Cyclist0108 07-15-19 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21027696)

By the way, I couldn't finish reading the story...I got board.

-Matt

I screwed up the thread title. I wanted to write "This wood hurt" but had "would" instead, thus ruining the pun.

Sorry.

:cry:

MattTheHat 07-15-19 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21027766)
I screwed up the thread title. I wanted to write "This wood hurt" but had "would" instead, thus ruining the pun.

Sorry.

:cry:

It did not ruin the pun, sir. I can assure you of that. It cracked me up. :)

-Matt

tyrion 07-15-19 10:16 AM

Track bike jousting is an interesting idea, but I don't think we're ready for it.

canklecat 07-15-19 01:53 PM

That'll buff right out. Grab the tweezers.

Semi-seriously, that sounds like a maintenance problem. Indoor velodrome cycling is less popular now in many areas so it's likely that maintenance and expertise will suffer. The last velodrome in Texas was being shut down and there were fundraising efforts to salvage and move it elsewhere. But I can't imagine it will be useful as a serious venue. There probably won't be any experts to assemble and maintain it. There's no telling how it will be stored while waiting to be reassembled. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

CliffordK 07-15-19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21028332)
that sounds like a maintenance problem. Indoor velodrome cycling is less popular now in many areas so it's likely that maintenance and expertise will suffer.

I hope the cyclist fully recovers quickly. Undoubtedly there would be a lot of finger pointing in trying to determine liability.

Man, that will be hard getting back on the bike and heading back to that same track.

I don't think I've ever seen a wood velodrome. Our local concrete outside velodrome is tiny, and is suffering from maintenance issues, but no 2x4 sized splinters.

But, thinking about a basketball court, it would seem almost impossible to crash a bike (if one could ride on the court) and kick up such a large chunk of board. There are just no loose ends of boards anywhere.

I have had troubles determining is the ultimate finish on the track. Bare wood vs varnished? Smooth vs bumpy? High wear/maintenance sections of the track?

bobwysiwyg 07-15-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21027796)
It did not ruin the pun, sir. I can assure you of that. It cracked me up. :)

-Matt

I agree. Upon reading the story, it "made" the pun for me.

MikeyMK 07-17-19 03:28 AM

I don't mean to go against the grain here, but i'm more inclined to look at the bike than the track - there are few items on a bike that'd be capable of that, and they should be addressed. The report says a pedal did this. I'm surprised such items aren't specifically designed to prevent this. Perhaps there's a use for Walmart plastic platform pedals, after all.

canklecat 07-17-19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21028369)
...I don't think I've ever seen a wood velodrome. Our local concrete outside velodrome is tiny, and is suffering from maintenance issues, but no 2x4 sized splinters.

But, thinking about a basketball court, it would seem almost impossible to crash a bike (if one could ride on the court) and kick up such a large chunk of board. There are just no loose ends of boards anywhere.

I have had troubles determining is the ultimate finish on the track. Bare wood vs varnished? Smooth vs bumpy? High wear/maintenance sections of the track?

Wood velodromes are rare in the US now. High maintenance, not enough money/sponsors in the sport. It's inevitable the tracks will become dangerous.

Basketball courts have lots of joinery. But even a typical high school in a state where basketball is popular will be better funded than most US velodromes. The courts are so well built and maintained they'd be suitable for pros. Ditto high school football here in Texas. US track cyclists could only dream of having the funding of a top level Texas high school football team.

FiftySix 07-17-19 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 21027803)
Track bike jousting is an interesting idea, but I don't think we're ready for it.

It's still an underground non-sanctioned sport. Maybe we could get that changed?