Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Angeles Crest Highway / Hwy 2 updates (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176612)

Tycho Brahe 06-25-19 12:36 PM

Angeles Crest Highway / Hwy 2 updates

The road is still closed from Redbox to the Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd junction. The staff at Redbox said it will reopen at the end of September. Big Tujunga is the detour, but that is a long stretch, especially in these summer months.

There is no water at Clear Creek due to the detection of uranium. The ranger station and bathroom are also closed. I never need water at that point, but others might, so be wary. There should be water at the fire station down below, which is not convenient if coming up the Angeles Forest Hwy.

diphthong 06-25-19 06:56 PM

^yikes...no wonder that h2o tasted so good. bummer about clear creek. i almost rode there today.

to be on the safe sign. i wouldn’t count on there being water at the fire station in big tujunga either.
stopped there twice in the last decade. 0 for 2. it has been about 5 years tho. both times, i hadda rely
on the little league fields on the extreme south end of big tujunga canyon. lifesaver.

trailangel 06-27-19 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 20996616)
The road is still closed from Redbox to the Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd junction. The staff at Redbox said it will reopen at the end of September. Big Tujunga is the detour, but that is a long stretch, especially in these summer months.

There is no water at Clear Creek due to the detection of uranium. The ranger station and bathroom are also closed. I never need water at that point, but others might, so be wary. There should be water at the fire station down below, which is not convenient if coming up the Angeles Forest Hwy.

JFC
How do you get uranium in the water? JPL/NASA do a bit of dumping up there years ago?
Ranger Station closed..... boy, those $5 parking permits are really paying off. Federal tax dollars at work right there.

TGT1 06-27-19 01:29 PM

Uranium in the water isn't unheard of. We've had several requests for uranium removal systems over the years, mostly in San Diego county Indian reservations.

Arsenic is a ubiquitous contaminant needing removal in California ground water particularly in Kern co.

Tycho Brahe 06-27-19 04:06 PM

The bathroom is closed because it will be redone. Seems somewhat silly, why not close it when construction starts? Also, it is not like there is a sewage system. It is basically an outhouse.

The sign at the closed ranger station said you can purchase parking permits at the Shell station, 9 miles back into town.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 20997147)
i wouldn’t count on there being water at the fire station in big tujunga either.

I was referring to the fire station on ACH between the shell station and clear creek.

diphthong 06-30-19 02:21 AM

o. that bleeping shell station is killing it then. i’ve stopped there at least three x’s over the years for either/both “refreshments” or/and gas. hydrate up and pack it in, my friends. a hard lack of water’s gonna fall in the angeles national forest. not exactly the place you wanna run low. especially during summertime when the living isn’t easy.

Bingod 08-24-19 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=ooga-booga;21003887a hard lack of water’s gonna fall in the angeles national forest. not exactly the place you wanna run low. especially during summertime when the living isn’t easy.[/QUOTE]

I rode up Hwy 2 on Thursday - the water faucet at the Mt Wilson turnoff parking area now has a sign that reads, "non potable water."

Elvo 08-29-19 03:10 PM

https://www.******.com/r/BikeLA/comm..._this_morning/

big john 09-15-19 07:38 AM

There was a guard at the gate near Red Box yesterday. The water at Red Box is on and ok. We also got water at Monte Cristo campground, on Angeles Forest above Upper Big T.

Tycho Brahe 10-20-19 12:05 PM

October 19th report:

Water is still out at Clear Creek. Functioning at Redbox and Mt Wilson.
ACH/2 still closed at Redbox. Now they are saying it will re-open in November.

Lesper4 10-22-19 05:21 PM

Open as of today @ Redbox to Upper Big T!

diphthong 10-22-19 05:32 PM

so ach is open the entire length now?

Princess_Allez 10-25-19 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 21175567)
so ach is open the entire length now?

Indeed.