Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Anyone still a Sedis/Sedisport chain fan out there??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=830046)

Chombi 07-05-12 02:14 PM

Anyone still a Sedis/Sedisport chain fan out there???

I still remember back in the 80's when everyone "in the know" used Sedis/Sedisport chains on ther bikes because the shifted so well as the had the special curved inner plate design to catch the cogs......but I noticed that since I got back into the bicycling scene about a few years ago and into C&V , nobody seems to even remember Sedis chains as THE chain to use, and everyone is now suggesting newer brands and models from SRAM, Shimano and KMC for C&V drivetrains. Are the old Sedis chains so bad compared to these newer ones that it's not worth going at least period correct with a Sedisport or Sedis/Sachs SL narow chain on C&V bikes anymore?? Is there also some big weight reduction with the newer chains that makes it worth turning a blind eye to their non-period correctness, cause I sure don't have any qualms about how my sedis chained bikes shifts......

Chombi

Shimagnolo 07-05-12 02:18 PM

Sachs bought Sedis, then SRAM bought Sachs.

puchfinnland 07-05-12 02:19 PM

I got 2 on 2 different bikes, and I am happy they are still well in the wear limit.

sweet chain for euro-only builds

Drillium Dude 07-05-12 02:21 PM

Enough people are in the know on Ebay - Sedisport chains go for crazy money there. And to think they used to run about $7 back in the day.

I have one on my Alpina. Most silent drivetrain of the bunch. Utilitarian, strong and quiet - and they last forever.

I'm definitely a fan :)

DD

Bianchigirll 07-05-12 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 14443713)
Enough people are in the know on Ebay - Sedisport chains go for crazy money there. And to think they used to run about $7 back in the day.

I have one on my Alpina. Most silent drivetrain of the bunch. Utilitarian, strong and quiet - and they last forever.

I'm definitely a fan :)

DD

I agree if I could afford them I would still be using them. One shop I worked in from '89 to 83 we bought them by the gross and singles and used them 95% to shimano chains.

Now the KMCs seem to working pretty well for me.

oldskoolwrench 07-05-12 02:42 PM

I still have a couple of Sedisport chains set aside for a rainy day; I'm still a big fan of them and always was like you are.

If I'm not mistaken Sedis was bought out by Sachs in the early 90's, which in turn was acquired by SRAM right around
Y2K. So in a way their new chains are the progeny of the Sedisport chain, right?

Chombi 07-05-12 02:59 PM

Good to know that my chains are not yet crap afterall....and It's still OK to still suggest them to fellow C&Vers when they are looking around for chains.
They still do come up at eBay for OK prices if you check regularly. The nickel colored Sedis/Sachs SL narrow chain I snagged a couple of years ago cost me, IIRC, something like 55 bucks. A guy's been selling the MTB version (which I bought one of) which is pretty much identical except for a slight difference in the link pins head shape, in NOS condition for less than 50 bucks a pop in the last year and a half. Those prices are not anywhwere near the price that top line Regina chains go for ($100+) these days, so I think they are a good deal, considering theirbetter than ususal shifting performance and reliability.

Thanks,

Chombi

VeloBrox 07-05-12 06:51 PM

My Peugeot PY-10 has a Sedis chain with few miles on it - shifts about as smooth as an eel in a bucket of butter. Definitely a fan! For new builds I mostly go with KMC, like Bianchigirll.

rootboy 07-05-12 08:17 PM

If I wanted to make my Moto true period spec, I need one. Early '70s Sedis "color". Rarely see them.

Grand Bois 07-05-12 08:38 PM

Sedisport chains were considered to be the best derailer chains at one time, but it was a long time ago.

DiegoFrogs 07-05-12 09:05 PM

If I found one for even 2x the cost of a new KMC, I'd splurge, but I've gotten perfectly good KMC's for about $8.

I'm also happy with $8 bottles of Australian wine, because I don't know any better, so please don't tell me any different!

Drakonchik 07-05-12 09:05 PM

Great chains. I use 'em when I can for myself and my friends, for single speed and friction-shifting 6-8 speed applications.

Got literally buckets of them in barely-used fine condition. Might get around to selling them, singly or in pairs, in another 10 years or so -- let them grow in distinction, as it were.

Look at how monstrously expensive they can be today, at $3.99 on the 'bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEDI...item35bd7c07c2

23skidoo 07-05-12 10:12 PM

I recently cleaned up a coagulated mass of old chains piled together in a plastic bucket over the years and there were half a dozen Sedis chains in usable conditon. Just bought a bulk lot of eleven clean, used Sedis chains on fleabay and of five I've checked only one is not usable. My last NOS Sedis went on a vintage Trek last year, but I still glance at the empty box and sigh.

WNG 07-06-12 12:38 AM

They are great shifting and quiet running chains. Especially with Suntour New Winner freewheels. And I still have mine on my 79-80 sport tourer, and Vitus 979, and they perform fine. I remember an article testing chains in the 80s and the Sedisport won the Rockwell hardness test.

Sixty Fiver 07-06-12 12:53 AM

One of my most beloved chains is the Sedis that I took off my 1957 Peugeot PLX8 that virtually new and had no wear and am pretty sure it was original... coolest feature is the tiny little quick link that requires a tiny eyeglass screwdriver to unscrew the quick link.

I really need to take a picture of this little gem... I removed it to preserve it and for the riding I do on Edith a KMC 7 speed chain serves me just fine.

My chain of choice is KMC as I found that it delivers the best performance for the dollar and wears less than SRAM chains do although SRAM chains tend to run a little smoother.

Munny 07-06-12 01:36 AM

In period, I used to allways go for the "Sedis Or", the gold model.

Now, I've made my personal stock of 5 euros GT7, in boxes of 10.
They are not bad at all, even if I'm missing the gold color.
Didn't realized they were so valuable on ebay

Drakonchik 07-06-12 06:52 AM

I have at least one which says "SEDI" then "SACHS" every alternate link. Bit like the time Datsuns were briefly known as Datsun/Nissan before becoming thereafter just Nissan.

robo 07-06-12 06:59 AM

I thought they lived on as SRAM chains? Did SRAM change anything other than the name (at least, for the 7/8 speed models)?

My good experiences with Sachs/Sedis chains back in the mid-90's led me to buy SRAM chains when I got back into biking in the 00's, on the assumption that I was getting the same product. Haven't been disappointed, even if I was wrong on that.

Captain Blight 07-06-12 07:06 AM

My Trek 560 came with a Sedis chain in it, with first-year indindexed 105. I swapped the shifting duties to Superbe Pro/Winner Pro, and the chain worked fairly well. I replaced it with a SRAM PC-870 and shifting improved noticeably... but the Winner tooth shape isn't really all that great. I did notice that the Sedis chain ran very quietly even when filthy, and since it was only about half stretched I hung onto it. No point in throwing away good parts.

I'm planning to put together a Sachs LY 95 freewheel with 15/16/17/18/23/25/28 cogs/ shifting with a Huret Challenger, and I'm going to use the Sedis on that. 5 teeth is a big jump and the Huret will need all the help it can get.

portkatterno 07-06-12 08:33 AM

This was the chain I used in the 80's. I still have three NOS Sedis Gold chains in my garage.

If someone is interested in a trade/swap then please PM me. Harbor Freight has something that I need but can't find here in Europe. I am in Finland.

zukahn1 07-06-12 08:54 AM

I really like them for vintage drivetrains there great for friction shifting and seem to work better than modern chains on vintage freewheels. Unfortunetly good sedis chains and vintage freewheels are getting a lot harder to find at good prices. So I end up using a modern ramped freewheel and KMC chain on most builds.

humanreisberg 07-07-12 08:23 AM

The backside of the box of my golden Sedis (Sachs) Gran Tourisme chain (GT7 S) shows all the different models available back then:

GT7 = Gran Tourisme

GT7 SA = Gran Tourisme Silver

GT7 S (OR)= Gran Tourisme Gold

PRO = Professional

STT = Mountain Bike Special

SV3 = Single- and 3 Speed

BXR = BMX

Reisberg

83cannondale 08-29-16 11:00 AM

Gt7 not work with suntour ultra 6 new winner freewheel

Old post I know - Ultra 6 - I'm experiencing 2,3rd sprocket chain slip on a couple ultra6 bikes so did Google research. Found sedisport chain supposed to be good fit. Bought a gt7 sach-sedis sedisport with no markings on chain- just in box. Didn't work, pins caught adjacent sprockets. Also a bit wider than sram870 I'm using.
Anyway. This particular chain doesn't work with suntour new winner freewheel.
The bike's original chain has nickel plates. Both sets of plates have bevels to help shifting. Side plates are thinner.

hujev 03-10-17 12:30 PM

their descendants, the Sram PC-8xx series, every bit as good

Threadcomancy, I guess they call this.

Anyway, Sedisports were the best, can still be had from time to time, for example, now in March 2017, Boulder Bicycle has some, ~$25, which, considering inflation, is about what they cost in 1983.

But these days I'm using their descendants, the Sram PC-8xx series, every bit as good as Sedisport, very similar design if not identical (buy may be). Made in Portugal.

I use 5,6,7 cog freewheels on all my bikes, and now trike (mostly Suntour Winner versions), all work fine with Sedisport or Sachs PC-8 series. Friction shifting - because it's so easy to shift, the time required to maintain a click-click mech working would be more time-consuming than the subconscious automatic overshift one does with friction.

A blessing of ze velo-gods that such perfect, basic, no nonsense high quality items still exist and made in the 1st world. Geez, if they'd only continued the Maillard freewheels (I could use a few cogs for the modified double freewheel on my Longstaff tricycle - which has a very newish early 90s Sedisport), and New Success mechs!

I've got a few in stock, but maybe ought to get a few more, just in case they stop making them, or shift to china.

I tried a Wippermann chain on my touring bike a dozen years ago, broke it on the first tour first week (and another link a couple weeks later!!), and immediately after the tour) replaced with a PC-850 and have never looked back.

unworthy1 03-10-17 12:51 PM

and just to whip up some frenzy (maybe) I'm pretty sure I have a Mtn. Bike model Sedis chain in the original box, all NOS...hope my faulty memory hasn't failed me again!
If I locate it I'll post it in "For Sale" (cause I doubt I'll use it since I haven't yet).
Edit: Found the chain will update with a bump-post.