Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Requesting recommendations for 700c commuter tires...... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1175741)

Brocephus 06-15-19 11:50 AM

Requesting recommendations for (economical) 700c commuter tires......

Hey again, I just scored a commuter-type bike on my local Craigslist, and am currently researching and shopping for some spare tires and tubes (and on a relatively tight budget, so nicer $30-50 tires are out).
The bike currently has the original tires on it, some 700x42 Schwalbe's which I like fine, but I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to stash away, in a similar street-friendly tread pattern, and roughly the same width.
I was looking at some cheap Continentals, but, for a couple reasons I'm passing on them. I'm currently eyeballing some Michelin Protecs 700x40, at $19.99 (free shipping over $50). They've also got some Continental cross tubes on (semi) sale,so that's where I'm leaning.
As always, any good info, advice, warnings, recommendations, etc. are much appreciated.....

Eric S. 06-15-19 11:56 AM

I've had a couple pairs of Continental Ride Tour (used to be called Tour Ride) in 700x28 for over 3 years and never had a flat. I also have them on two MTB commuters - still never a flat. They run about $25 each online.

This link won't be relevant forever but here they are on Amazon for $19.31.

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Continental-T...gateway&sr=8-3

CliffordK 06-15-19 12:01 PM

I had some Michelin Protek Cross Max tires on my commuter. I found them slower than racing tires, but absolutely bomb-proof. Quite a few miles, and not a flat.

I didn't choose to go to the standard "Protek" versions.

As mentioned in another thread, the Conti tubes have shifted to Asian imports. Still quality tubes, but nothing too different from the tubes on the market.

I don't preemptively replace tubes, but it isn't a bad thing to have a couple of spares.

For faster tires, I do like the Continental Gator Hardshells (not the same as Gatorskins). They are durable and long lasting (with the exception of potentially weak sidewalls). But, unfortunately also not the cheapest.

CliffordK 06-15-19 12:06 PM

Oh, I lump the tires as similar:
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus
  • Panaracer Tourguard
  • Michelin Protek Max and Michelin Protek Cross Max

I have had a flat (first 20 miles) with the Marathon Plus, but it also is the only one that comes in a 25mm size, I think. Maybe a flat on the Tourguard, but I don't remember the cause, and no flats on the Protek Cross Max tires.

The "Max" or "Plus" variety has a thick layer that is designed as much to absorb debris as anything else, so for something like goatheads, they have to go through about 1/4" of tire to get to the tube, and hopefully is more than the length of the thorns. It isn't clear if that layer is anything other than foam, or if it is designed to be puncture resistant too.

Brocephus 06-15-19 12:13 PM

Thanks guys, those Conty Ride Tour's were the ones I said above that I had considered, but I read an abysmal review (all I could find), and the place I found them for cheap, only has 2 in stock, so i can't hit their free-ship minimum. I might give them a shot, if i can find them at that price, and shipped.
As for the Conty tubes, i have a stash of the house brand tubes from Performance,etc, and when I inflate them to check them out (outside of a tire), they inflate looking like a snake that just ate a rabbit,LOL!!!! I mean, they are bizarrely inconsistent, which doesn't inspire much confidence, but the Continentals I have blow up uniformly, and run like champs (but they came from Merlin cycles in the UK, maybe different country of origin ? I dunno).

edit: BTW, I've read a few reports of sidewall issues with the Michelins Proteks, but those were still a small minority of users, they seemed to get 4-5 stars from 90% of users.

wipekitty 06-15-19 12:20 PM

Another vote for Continental Ride Tour. I'm not going to say I enjoy riding these tires - but they seem relatively indestructible, and can be found for cheaper than their siblings.

I used to get hot deals on Panaracer Pasela tires, but those seem to have evaporated. They're fine tires, but I can get fancy tires for similar prices by ordering from the UK.

I should also mention checking Jenson USA for random deals on tires. I once got some Maxxis Re-fuse tires (also quite good) for ~$10 each (and a pair of Shimano R540 pedals for $5.99, not even kidding.)

MikeyMK 06-15-19 01:05 PM

Schwalbe Fat Frank are 2ins, smooth, grippy, puncture proof and cheap here - dunno about over there.

The last tyres i bought were Big Apple because they didn't have Fat Franks in the size i needed. Smoother but they're not as good if the ground isn't perfectly clean, and less predictable in the wet too.

[img]https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5182...705dc2c6_o.jpg[/img]

Brocephus 06-15-19 01:20 PM

Thanks guys, I've been checking JensonUSA (I've been a customer/fan for a couple decades now), but they're also almost out of stock on the Continentals (same for Cambria, who has them for $16.22). But, they have more of an off-road-ish tread than I think I'm looking for. I'm really digging how smooth and nimble this bike feels with the smoother street tires on it, unless something better and cheaper materializes, those Michelins might be my huckleberry.

Edit/ Update : I found some 40mm Vittorias on close-out at Chain Reaction in the UK, for $13 ea. They got solid reviews, so I just ordered 3 of them, and a couple Continental 37-47c Cross tubes, to put me just over the $50 free ship minimum. I considered some nice looking Schwalbe commuters for just a little more, but they were still too knobby for me. I want to keep this one a smooth roller, I ain't going off-road with it.
(plus, the Vittorias were a much better deal, relative to retail prices).
Thanks again.......