Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   A C&V Foley artist? (Mary Poppins Returns observation) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176671)

cudak888 06-25-19 10:24 PM

A C&V Foley artist? (Mary Poppins Returns observation)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3a94a670ad.png

This is probably an already-outdated observation that someone here at C&V probably already noticed. Or not.

At any rate, I was scrolling through the opening of Mary Poppins Returns, analyzing the weird top tube configuration that Pashley or the prop department made to Gertie (the nickname of the Pashley Roadster used as Lin-Manuel's transportation in the film), and happened to notice something upon one of the many times I've re-watched the footage:

During the opening Lovely London Sky segment, just before Jack's character rounds St. Paul's Cathedral (@ 2:35 -"...so count your blessings, you're..."), listen to the background noise. There's a freewheeling sound that is nicely timed with Lin-Manuel backing off the pedals for a moment, but I'll be darned if the Foley artist slid in a dead-on perfect audio recording of a Sturmey-Archer AW. It's not just any Chinese singlespeed two-pawl freewheel click, but that unmistakable four-pawl rhythm that any of us C&V'ers can hear a mile away. I haven't had a chance to re-analyze ever single other scene with Gertie, but it looks as if the Sturmey sound may be used in more than one spot.

I highly doubt any of what we hear is location sound - Gertie and Lin-Manuel are obviously riding pretty hard over the cobbles in this particular scene, and the ladder and the pole are shaking; the reality of that shot was probably full of really horrible rattles - and that's what makes it all the better - to know that someone probably made the effort to get the right sound.

I'm not even sure if the modern XRD-3 even makes a similar sound to the AW in the first place, and if that 3-speed trigger mounted to the weird dropped top tube is any indication, that's what Gertie probably has.

Curious if anyone else noticed this.

-Kurt

conspiratemus1 06-26-19 11:24 AM

Sir, I salute you and stand in awe at the same time.

due ruote 06-26-19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1 (Post 20998218)

Yeah, what he said. I did not notice, but nice observational skills there. I did enjoy the movie and thought the scene with all the bikes was one of the best numbers.

cudak888 06-26-19 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1 (Post 20998218)

Nah, it was by chance that I noticed it. It was so natural that I didn't even realize it. Seems to be present whenever Gertie is around too, if you listen closely enough.

Here's the great bit: One of the other forum members PM'ed me - he knows the fellow who runs the Foley studio that did the film...and many years ago, he provided his wife with a Raleigh Sports. Potential C&V connection? Perhaps...

Originally Posted by due ruote (Post 20998911)
Yeah, what he said. I did not notice, but nice observational skills there. I did enjoy the movie and thought the scene with all the bikes was one of the best numbers.

Thought it was amusing how they hid the BMX and freestyle MTBs in the background shots. It's good stuff.

Good to see a film portraying bicycle riding as completely normal too, for a change.

-Kurt

big chainring 06-27-19 05:52 AM

Being an English production, it wouldnt surprise me if that SA freewheel ticking is a stock recording from their sound effects library.

cudak888 06-28-19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by big chainring (Post 20999471)
Being an English production, it wouldnt surprise me if that SA freewheel ticking is a stock recording from their sound effects library.

Turns out the Foley work was done in Ontario.

Still, most films of this level don't use older stock libraries anymore. Given that the Sturmey AW is a comparatively rare beast to a derailer or singlespeed system, it's still quite a feat.

-Kurt