Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   This. THIS is a cyclist (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181039)

Korina 08-13-19 02:35 PM

This. THIS is a cyclist

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/w...r-bicycle.html

seamuis 08-13-19 03:00 PM

I’ll continue to subscribe to the notion that anyone who rides a bicycle, is a cyclist, since separating us into useless groups doesn’t help us or mean anything worth talking about. But I will say, that the PM, is a very inspiring person, although I’m sure plenty of people have done the same as her. But since were recognising inspiring women in bicycles, I’ll give a historical shoutout to all the midwives who have ridden bicycles to peoples homes to deliver babies into this cruel world.

GlennR 08-13-19 03:34 PM

I'm glad she has a helmet.

tyrion 08-13-19 04:01 PM

https://cdn.dnaindia.com/sites/defau...-instagram.jpg

The basket up front is handy way to carry your baby back from the hospital.

t_e_r_r_y 08-13-19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 21074031)
The basket up front is handy way to carry your baby back from the hospital.

but that's where the helmet goes

seamuis 08-13-19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y (Post 21074057)

oversized helmet goes on newborn baby, duh.

tyrion 08-13-19 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y (Post 21074057)

You can fit both. New babies are very flexible.

02Giant 08-13-19 05:55 PM

Put the baby in the helmet, in the basket.

Korina 08-14-19 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 21073927)
I’ll continue to subscribe to the notion that anyone who rides a bicycle, is a cyclist, since separating us into useless groups doesn’t help us or mean anything worth talking about.

True. I really wanted to title it "This. THIS is bad gluteus maximus" but we have a very expensive censor. :)

guachi 08-14-19 09:26 AM

And there are some leaders of countries who are so unfit they couldn't bike to the end of the driveway.

My sister lives in NZ and thinks this is cool.

indyfabz 08-14-19 09:29 AM

If this had been posted in A&S at least one person would have gone on a rant about how irresponsible her stunt was.

Spinay70 08-14-19 09:30 AM

Im no expert, but cycling to deliver a baby sounds un-necessarily danderous to mom and baby alike. I hope New Zealand isnt in such dire straits they cant get a car for the PM.

Spinay70

MattTheHat 08-14-19 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21075086)
If this had been posted in A&S at least one person would have gone on a rant about how irresponsible her stunt was.

This was posted about this time last year, in A&S (I believe it was in A&S). I don't recall how the comments went, but you could certainly go check.

-Matt

MattTheHat 08-14-19 09:44 AM

Yes, here we go.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...ive-birth.html

-Matt

Korina 08-14-19 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spinay70 (Post 21075090)
Im no expert, but cycling to deliver a baby sounds un-necessarily danderous to mom and baby alike. I hope New Zealand isnt in such dire straits they cant get a car for the PM.

Spinay70

She is an adult, and I'm sure if she felt there was any risk she would have taken a car.

Korina 08-14-19 10:08 AM

@MattTheHat, thanks for pointing this out; I keep forgetting to check dates. Hopefully the 1-year-old doesn't have a saddle-shaped dent in his/her head. :)

MattTheHat 08-14-19 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 21075134)
@MattTheHat, thanks for pointing this out; I keep forgetting to check dates. Hopefully the 1-year-old doesn't have a saddle-shaped dent in his/her head. :)

I would not have noticed the date but I recalled the story and that made me check. Yes, there was a little bit of hand wringing in the A&S thread last year. :)

-Matt

indyfabz 08-14-19 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spinay70 (Post 21075090)

Spinay70

Do you realize that she was not in labor? She was scheduled to have labor induced. It's right there in the story. So is the explanation as to why she and her partner did not drive.

So would it have been unnecessarily dangerous to cycle the day before she was scheduled to go to the hospital?

Spinay70 08-14-19 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 21075132)
She is an adult, and I'm sure if she felt there was any risk she would have taken a car.

Regardless of adult label, it is still an un-neccessary risk to the baby just to prove a point, in my opinion.

SP70

Korina 08-14-19 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spinay70 (Post 21075180)
Regardless of adult label, it is still an un-neccessary risk to the baby just to prove a point, in my opinion.

SP70

Fair enough. When you have a baby, you can take a car. :)

seamuis 08-14-19 01:02 PM

SP70

problem is that you have assumed she was trying to make a specific point. Adding the qualifier “in my opinion”, doesn’t really change the fact that you’ve based your stance and thusly a negative opinion on a notion that you basically pulled out of thin air with nothing in the article to give even suggestion to. Or to put it more simply, you’re trying to justify your purely emotion based negative opinion through assumption.

ksryder 08-14-19 01:11 PM

SP70

Using italics doesn't make you less wrong.

Debba1C 08-14-19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 21075132)

She was cycling to the hospital to be induced, so I would take that to mean she wasn't already in labour. Cycling wouldn't cause any harm to an unborn baby - they're floating around in water.

Debba1C 08-14-19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 21075454)
problem is that you have assumed she was trying to make a specific point. Adding the qualifier “in my opinion”, doesn’t really change the fact that you’ve based your stance and thusly a negative opinion on a notion that you basically pulled out of thin air with nothing in the article to give even suggestion to. Or to put it more simply, you’re trying to justify your purely emotion based negative opinion through assumption.

^^ This ^^

Skipjacks 08-14-19 01:23 PM

Am I the only one wondering how she plans to get home?

Maybe she found a baby carrier that attaches to a trunk rack!