Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   how do you use this valve? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=876978)

mrevilandy 03-09-13 05:32 PM

how do you use this valve?

http://www.bytrade.com/factory-1/sup...tire-valve.htm

Like the description says, I have 20 x 1.5 tubes for my trailer and it came with this type of valve, someone newb me please.

jowilson 03-09-13 06:20 PM

That's a Dunlop valve. What do you mean by use? How do you pump it up? Attach it to a wheel? Expand on "use" please...

Josh

jowilson 03-09-13 06:21 PM

They are also 3000$ a set... if you didn't already know that. What are you using it for?

10 Wheels 03-09-13 06:24 PM

Use a pump with a presta head.

http://flyingpigeon-la.com/2011/03/p...uropean-tires/

wahoonc 03-09-13 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jowilson (Post 15366058)
They are also 3000$ a set... if you didn't already know that. What are you using it for?

5000 valves in a set...that would be a several lifetime supply for me.

Aaron :)

I-Like-To-Bike 03-09-13 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jowilson (Post 15366050)
That's a Dunlop valve. What do you mean by use? How do you pump it up? Attach it to a wheel? Expand on "use" please...

It is the standard valve found on bicycles sold in Germany, The Netherlands and perhaps other countries. A pump that works on presta valve will work. Screw on adapters are available will fit standard automobile pumps.

xenologer 03-10-13 01:44 AM

The usual way I use them is,
unscrew the plastic cap, then the large nut just below it(holds the valve core in place). this lets all the air out.
next unscrew any nut at the base of the valve; so you can push it out of the rim.
dismount tire, pull the inner tube out.
toss it in the trash.
reinstall and reinflate tire with a shraeder valve tube.

Wil Davis 03-10-13 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by xenologer (Post 15367262)
The usual way I use them is,
unscrew the plastic cap, then the large nut just below it(holds the valve core in place). this lets all the air out.
next unscrew any nut at the base of the valve; so you can push it out of the rim.
dismount tire, pull the inner tube out.
toss it in the trash.
reinstall and reinflate tire with a shraeder valve tube.

You're missing out a step! In order to fit a Schrader valve you will need to drill the rim hole wider to accommodate the thicker valve stem. Isn't it curious, I do the exact opposite of you, and fit a sleeve or rubber grommet to accommodate the thinner stem of the Presta valve! it is generally recognized that Presta valves are far superior to Schrader valves!

:popcorn (please note!)

- Wil

wahoonc 03-10-13 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wil Davis (Post 15367409)
You're missing out a step! In order to fit a Schrader valve you will need to drill the rim hole wider to accommodate the thicker valve stem. Isn't it curious, I do the exact opposite of you, and fit a sleeve or rubber grommet to accommodate the thinner stem of the Presta valve! it is generally recognized that Presta valves are far superior to Schrader valves!

- Wil

Wrong... the Dunlop/Woods valve uses the same size hole as the Schrader. I have all three types of valves on a variety of bikes, they all have their pluses and minuses.

Retro Grouch 03-10-13 06:32 AM

Presta valves are far superior to Schrader valves!

Here we go!

rebel1916 03-10-13 06:56 AM

it is generally recognized that Presta valves are far superior to Schrader valves!

- Wil

No way. I'm just a regular Joe who rides in jeans and a t-shirt and tennis shoes. Presta valves are just part of a conspiracy by fancy pants roadies to feel superior to me.

I-Like-To-Bike 03-10-13 10:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)

it is generally recognized that Presta valves are far superior to Schrader valves!

Only by those who never use a gas station or auto garage tire filling pump, or ever have the need for using someone else's air pump. Or by those who like to buy an extra pump or more expensive pump to carry.

A 50¢ adapter can be screwed on (and left on) that allows any Dunlop valve to be filled with an auto/bike pump that is fitted for an automobile/schrader valve.

I-Like-To-Bike 03-10-13 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by rebel1916 (Post 15367524)
No way. I'm just a regular Joe who rides in jeans and a t-shirt and tennis shoes. Presta valves are just part of a conspiracy by fancy pants roadies to feel superior to me.

Or fancy pants roadies who buy into all the Kool Aid Brand "Truths" spouted out by the "experts."

rebel1916 03-10-13 10:50 AM

So long as we all agree that their pants are fancy.

I-Like-To-Bike 03-10-13 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by rebel1916 (Post 15368047)
So long as we all agree that their pants are fancy.

Agreed!

spectastic 03-11-13 12:13 AM

those things exist? I thought they were an urban legend. And who in the hell would by 5000 of them? nobody uses this thing!

wahoonc 03-11-13 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by spectastic (Post 15370632)
those things exist? I thought they were an urban legend. And who in the hell would by 5000 of them? nobody uses this thing!

I have 4 bikes in my shed that use them...

Three of those bikes came from either Germany or Denmark. The other is a vintage Raleigh roadster.

cyccommute 03-11-13 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 15368028)
Only by those who never use a gas station or auto garage tire filling pump, or ever have the need for using someone else's air pump. Or by those who like to buy an extra pump or more expensive pump to carry.

Sure, just let me walk the 15 miles to the gas station and use a compressor that is meant to pump up a 30 psi car tire. That'll be useful.

You are quite a bit behind the times on pumps too. Every pump I have bought in the last 25 years has had the ability to pump up either presta or schrader by simply reversing the grommet in the pump head. You'd have to go out of your way to find a pump without that feature. I'm sure having the ability to do either presta or schrader adds significantly to the cost of the pump...like 15 cents or so. Oh, the humanity.

I-Like-To-Bike 03-11-13 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by spectastic (Post 15370632)

The ad (in the OP)is meant for tube manufacturers, not retailers or consumers. Duh.

Urban legend if your only exposure to European bicycling is the TDF.

I-Like-To-Bike 03-11-13 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 15371434)
Sure, just let me walk the 15 miles to the gas station and use a compressor that is meant to pump up a 30 psi car tire. That'll be useful.
You are quite a bit behind the times on pumps too. Every pump I have bought in the last 25 years has had the ability to pump up either presta or schrader by simply reversing the grommet in the pump head. You'd have to go out of your way to find a pump without that feature.

Its useful if you want to top off the pressure at your leisure. And have you ever met anybody who cannot fill a bicycle tube at the gas station, except for those with incompatible valves?

Not everybody buys their bicycle pumps or bike accessories at an LBS. The big box stores, the stores that sell the majority of bikes in the U.S., have lots of pumps on for sale that do NOT have any way to pump up a Presta valved tube.

wahoonc 03-11-13 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 15371434)

You are quite a bit behind the times on pumps too. Every pump I have bought in the last 25 years has had the ability to pump up either presta or schrader by simply reversing the grommet in the pump head. You'd have to go out of your way to find a pump without that feature. I'm sure having the ability to do either presta or schrader adds significantly to the cost of the pump...like 15 cents or so. Oh, the humanity.

I like the newer pumps where it has both heads already on it, no swapping, just plug and play.

BlazingPedals 03-11-13 11:54 AM

If it 'twere me, I'd simply replace the tubes to match the valves on my bikes. That way, no fiddling with adapters.

spectastic 03-11-13 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 15371916)
The ad (in the OP)is meant for tube manufacturers, not retailers or consumers. Duh.

Urban legend if your only exposure to European bicycling is the TDF.

Duh what's the sense in investing in a market that doesn't even really exist? Who would use a valve that provides no special advantage to the other two, but requires a special adapter? But I guess I'm not familiar with what bikers in Europe use, so to each his own...

I-Like-To-Bike 03-11-13 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by spectastic (Post 15372698)
Duh what's the sense in investing in a market that doesn't even really exist? Who would use a valve that provides no special advantage to the other two, but requires a special adapter? But I guess I'm not familiar with what bikers in Europe use, so to each his own...

I believe bikes in India also use Dunlop valves, but I am not sure of that. Anyone know what kind of tube valves are found on bikes sold in India or China?

treadtread 03-11-13 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 15372745)
I believe bikes in India also use Dunlop valves, but I am not sure of that. Anyone know what kind of tube valves are found on bikes sold in India or China?

When I rode bikes in India, I wasn't aware that there were different types of valves at all :) Never owned a pump in India - just went to the neighborhood repair shop. Remembering over the years, I think there were 6 bike repair shops in a 1 km radius around my house - and this was true pretty much anywhere I rode. Tried to find the info off a local manufacturer's website, but no luck.