Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Chasertech or equivalent disc brake adapter? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1203043)

JMONAY 05-29-20 08:09 PM

Chasertech or equivalent disc brake adapter?

I come at risk of the "origin story" being needlessly wordy so I'll just say that a series of events has led me to begin a nice '90s GT project (frame only, no original fork) with disc brakes as a fun bike to ride around. I know the bikes were made for V brakes, but I want to use as much as possible out of the pile of parts I have amassed, and this includes 650b wheels with 2.1" Thunder Burt tires which I have already confirmed fit comfortably in the frame, along with TRP Spyre mechanical discs. I'm aware of brake post adapters that can move brakes up just far enough to work with 27.5" wheels on a 26" frame, but they're kinda pricey and I just really am not feeling them. I found out a little too late that even though the Chaser tech website doesn't show everything as being out of stock, they are essentially not really selling anything anymore, as far as I can tell. I was banking on being able to get a Chasertech disc brake adapter since it transfers the braking force on the V-brake post and not in the middle of the chainstay like the cheap adapters we always see. I've written to them wondering if they're gone and am waiting for a response.

Does anyone know of other adapters that work similarly, or of anyone who I could possibly buy a Chasertech adapter from? I'm haven't had any luck scouring the used market online, so far.

P.S. I know that my build is potentially sacrilegious, but of the my planned modifications are reversible and won't harm the frame ... Please don't kill me :lol:

Edit: Chasertech responded to my email and they say they really are just out of stock temporarily due to interruptions in the supply stream. They're waiting on their new shipment of stuff and will be back at it again. What a relief haha

qclabrat 05-30-20 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JMONAY (Post 21505038)
I come at risk of the "origin story" being needlessly wordy so I'll just say that a series of events has led me to begin a nice '90s GT project (frame only, no original fork) with disc brakes as a fun bike to ride around. I know the bikes were made for V brakes, but I want to use as much as possible out of the pile of parts I have amassed, and this includes 650b wheels with 2.1" Thunder Burt tires which I have already confirmed fit comfortably in the frame, along with TRP Spyre mechanical discs. I'm aware of brake post adapters that can move brakes up just far enough to work with 27.5" wheels on a 26" frame, but they're kinda pricey and I just really am not feeling them. I found out a little too late that even though the Chaser tech website doesn't show everything as being out of stock, they are essentially not really selling anything anymore, as far as I can tell. I was banking on being able to get a Chasertech disc brake adapter since it transfers the braking force on the V-brake post and not in the middle of the chainstay like the cheap adapters we always see. I've written to them wondering if they're gone and am waiting for a response.

Does anyone know of other adapters that work similarly, or of anyone who I could possibly buy a Chasertech adapter from? I'm haven't had any luck scouring the used market online, so far.

P.S. I know that my build is potentially sacrilegious, but of the my planned modifications are reversible and won't harm the frame ... Please don't kill me :lol:

Never heard of Chasertech, but I've had the Woodman Disco system for many years. It works fine but v-brakes on the rear has been fine when I have a disc fork on front. That's the way I'm currently running my Ibis Mojo 1. My other 26rs dont have disc forks so the hubs have been in the bin for a while. With being home so much now, I have plans to rebuild them. And move them back to the Mojo. Will post an update when I get there.
Woodman - Disco System - Disc Brake Adaptor Complete With 32 Hole Hub Cycling

JMONAY 06-03-20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by qclabrat (Post 21505932)
Never heard of Chasertech, but I've had the Woodman Disco system for many years. It works fine but v-brakes on the rear has been fine when I have a disc fork on front. That's the way I'm currently running my Ibis Mojo 1. My other 26rs dont have disc forks so the hubs have been in the bin for a while. With being home so much now, I have plans to rebuild them. And move them back to the Mojo. Will post an update when I get there.
Woodman - Disco System - Disc Brake Adaptor Complete With 32 Hole Hub Cycling

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately it looks like no one sells the Woodman Disco System any longer. The brake mount with the arm looks very similar to Chasertech's adapter, though. I may just have to run it with a disc fork and V brakes in the rear.

I just received a reply from Chasertech as well and they said they had just simply run out of parts for these past couple months and are just waiting for the next shipment. I guess I shouldn't have panicked so quickly. Haha

commo_soulja 06-03-20 08:55 AM

I looked into a v-brake > disc conversion on my late 90s Stumpjumper a long time ago using a Specialized sharkfin and A2Z adapter. In the end, I just went mullet brake set up. More recently, I sent off my 90s Ibis hardtail for an update and makeover - had the vbrake posts lopped off, IS disc tab and cable straddles added, paint stripped and powder coated. All for $300 shipped. It's on it's way back home as we speak and then the re-build will commence but with disc brakes and a 650b wheel set.

Worth it to update a nice frame for 21st century braking, V-brakes honestly suck. Oh, and being able to use 650b wheels is great.

JMONAY 06-07-20 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by commo_soulja (Post 21512757)
I looked into a v-brake > disc conversion on my late 90s Stumpjumper a long time ago using a Specialized sharkfin and A2Z adapter. In the end, I just went mullet brake set up. More recently, I sent off my 90s Ibis hardtail for an update and makeover - had the vbrake posts lopped off, IS disc tab and cable straddles added, paint stripped and powder coated. All for $300 shipped. It's on it's way back home as we speak and then the re-build will commence but with disc brakes and a 650b wheel set.

Worth it to update a nice frame for 21st century braking, V-brakes honestly suck. Oh, and being able to use 650b wheels is great.

Ooh!! Thanks for naming the other adapters - the sharkfin functionally looks just like what the Chasertech one would do. Looks like we have some options here.

JMONAY 06-07-20 05:26 PM

Ok, so Chasertech responded to my email a while ago and it looks like they really are just out of stock temporarily due to interruptions in the supply stream. They're waiting on their new shipment of stuff and will be back at it again. Looks like the project is a go!

Smokinapankake 06-18-20 07:13 AM

Just stumbled on this so forgive me if I’m resurrecting a “dead” thread... I set up my sons first real mountain bike, a mid 90’s Diamond Back Apex, with the chasertech disc adapter several years ago. I can report it works well and is pretty easy to set up. For what I paid, ~ $50,-it’s a pretty nice bit of kit. If you can get your hands on one I’d say go for it!

JMONAY 07-22-20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake (Post 21540325)
Just stumbled on this so forgive me if I’m resurrecting a “dead” thread... I set up my sons first real mountain bike, a mid 90’s Diamond Back Apex, with the chasertech disc adapter several years ago. I can report it works well and is pretty easy to set up. For what I paid, ~ $50,-it’s a pretty nice bit of kit. If you can get your hands on one I’d say go for it!

No worries! Appreciate the opinion from someone who has had it for a while. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and it works great. I made sure every thread had anti-seize or blue loctite on it and dropped it right in. What a magnificent piece of engineering. Haha