Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cracked dropout (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1202422)

shoota 05-23-20 07:16 PM

Cracked dropout

Can this be fixed? If so, how?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d82bc8ba0.jpeg

Oneder 05-23-20 07:41 PM

It's dead, jim.

Mad Honk 05-23-20 07:46 PM

Three options: First straighten everything and weld it back together. But caveates are the weld may break down the brass in the tubes that hold it in place between the stays. Second is to un-braze the drop out and replace it with a new one. Both will involve repainting the area repaired. In many cases more $ than it is worth to replace the frame as the third option. HTH, MH

shoota 05-23-20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Oneder (Post 21493449)
It's dead, jim.

Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 21493457)
Three options: First straighten everything and weld it back together. But caveates are the weld may break down the brass in the tubes that hold it in place between the stays. Second is to un-braze the drop out and replace it with a new one. Both will involve repainting the area repaired. In many cases more $ than it is worth to replace the frame as the third option. HTH, MH

I think it can be spot welded and ridden around the neighborhood.

Oneder 05-23-20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 21493471)
I think it can be spot welded and ridden around the neighborhood.

You can easily fix a small crack in a steel frame but this is not a crack it's a break in an important area and the welding most people can do won't be enough.

If you have taken some welding classes and have access to an arc welder you could fix it but it won't be 100% unless you put a new dropout on there as Mad Honk suggests and it seems doubtful it's worth the time, money and effort unless it's a very expensive frame.

shoota 05-23-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oneder (Post 21493484)
You can easily fix a small crack in a steel frame but this is not a crack it's a break in an important area and the welding most people can do won't be enough.

If you have taken some welding classes and have access to an arc welder you could fix it but it won't be 100% unless you put a new dropout on there as Mad Honk suggests and it seems doubtful it's worth the time, money and effort unless it's a very expensive frame.

Poop. Alright, well I didn’t spend anything on it and it’s not worth anything either so oh well :/

Andrew R Stewart 05-23-20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oneder (Post 21493449)
It's dead, jim.

Gosh another gloom and doom reply with no context or deeper explanation. At least you do follow up with a more detailed reply that I do agree with.

Drop out replacement is a very real option. Whether it's the value the OP will choose is the real question. Yes a weld would secure this, and if done well perhaps for a long time. But these dropouts crack from a few reasons that welding won't fix. Like being over heated during the frame's brazing. There are many builders who have replaced the drop outs many times because of this kind of crack. Campy drop outs seem to be a common brand to see this. But then they are one of the more common brands too so a larger population. Andy

Mad Honk 05-23-20 09:47 PM

Andy,
No doom and gloom here but there are problems with what I see to repair this drop out. A wire welder won't adequately repair the dropout, and would need a stick welder to fix it but the heat would be detrimental to the brazed joint at the chain/sear stay. As I said earlier this repair could be done with correct procedures in place. but will be costly. Smiles, MH

BoozyMcliverRot 05-23-20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 21493639)
Andy,
No doom and gloom here but there are problems with what I see to repair this drop out. A wire welder won't adequately repair the dropout, and would need a stick welder to fix it but the heat would be detrimental to the brazed joint at the chain/sear stay. As I said earlier this repair could be done with correct procedures in place. but will be costly. Smiles, MH

I could easily fix this with Tig. Strip the paint,use a rotary tool to clean the break and add a bevel to each side of the butt and take it slow with just 2 to 3 dips at a time while letting it cool in between to avoid overheating the braze.

dsaul 05-24-20 05:45 AM

The proper welding process for repairing this is TIG. If done correctly, there will be minimal paint loss and no damage to the brass attaching it to the stay. That said, it won't fix the design flaw that allowed it to break in the first place.

dedhed 05-24-20 07:53 AM

A competent welder could repair that as well as add a small reinforcing plate across the opening.
Good picture too!