Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Source for oxalic acid (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1187039)

WGB 10-31-19 08:42 AM

Source for oxalic acid

It used to be sold in cardboard tubes of just crystal powder but now I can only find it as a part of something (sold as a tinted wood bleach or in a liquid form mixed in with something like Thompson's Deck Seal.

I should have said I'd like to be able to soak a half a bike frame at a time. I want to buy 4-5 pounds without breaking the bank so looking for bulk source.

Wondering if anyone knows a good source?

ryansu 10-31-19 08:52 AM

I got mine at my local Tru-value hardware store -Dalys Oxalic acid bleaching powder.

brian3069 10-31-19 09:00 AM

Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxalic-Acid...8AAOSwcBhWY4yO

3alarmer 10-31-19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by WGB (Post 21188281)
It used to be sold in cardboard tubes of just crystal powder but now I can only find it as a part of something (sold as a tinted wood bleach or in a liquid form mixed in with something like Thompson's Deck Seal.

I should have said I'd like to be able to soak a half a bike frame at a time. I want to buy 4-5 pounds without breaking the bank so looking for bulk source.

Wondering if anyone knows a good source?

...are you sure you need 4-5 pounds ? Check out how much youi will need to mix with water, in order to fill your backyard tub of it. Then if you have the space and can cover your soaking tank (which I recommend), you can simply leave the stuff over in a corner somewhere with a poison hazard label on it.

I think I only bought maybe 8 or 12 ounces of the dry stuff in a package at the hardware/paint place, and I only used maybe half a cup of the stuff to mix up a huge plastic storage bin full of it for a soaking tub. You buy those at the Home Depot with a good, tight cover. Ask for "wood bleach" as you call around. The more of the stuff you mix up, the more you need to neutralize and properly dispose of afterward. The stuff is toxic, highly acidic when mixed for soaking, , and not at all benign. Neutralize with large amounts of baking soda or another alkaline agent before disposal.

gaucho777 10-31-19 03:38 PM

^+1 to @3alarmer above. I buy a small 12-oz. tub of Savogran Wood Bleach at Ace Hardware, then mix about 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Cost is ~$10. It goes a long way.

nlerner 10-31-19 04:24 PM

Barkeepers Friend, widely available, is primarily oxalic acid.

Reynolds 531 10-31-19 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 21189124)
Barkeepers Friend, widely available, is primarily oxalic acid.

Ya know, that is an intriguing idea because the Oxalic Acid I have bought from ebay, is very granular. Barkeeepers Friend is very powdery, and would likely dissolve in water much easier.

jiangshi 10-31-19 05:11 PM

Rockler's wood working, or any wood working place is a source. Rockler's has retail stores in big cities.

It has a place on bikes, but not like it does with wood bleaching, toilet bowl cleaning, or removing sweat stains from your straw hat.

It's a last resort on a bike, IMHO, though there is a time and place.

I'm glad I'm done with those times and places.

clubman 10-31-19 08:23 PM

I've never sure if Niagara region is US or Canada.
Lab grade OA is available in Canada at Bebbington in NS and perhaps in your neighbourhood.

WGB 10-31-19 09:53 PM

I'll order some through eBay. I appreciate the tip. I just didn't think of the 'bay for some reason. I want to get a kiddie pool for frame and forks sets to soak in.

Thanks all.

JaccoW 11-01-19 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by WGB (Post 21189535)
I'll order some through eBay. I appreciate the tip. I just didn't think of the 'bay for some reason. I want to get a kiddie pool for frame and forks sets to soak in.

Thanks all.

Just make sure it's not an inflatable one. :P

USAZorro 11-01-19 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 21189439)
I've never sure if Niagara region is US or Canada.
Lab grade OA is available in Canada at Bebbington in NS and perhaps in your neighbourhood.

They're in the US, and go by a different name these days.

dddd 11-01-19 07:20 PM

I don't see why the solution can't be soaked into the dirt outside. The acid will react with the dirt and it will become neutralized over time.

Small amounts I mix in a bowl I just wash down the drain.

Use vinegar if concerned about handling and environmental impact.

I bought my powder from an online Taxidermy outfit. The powder may be regulated in some transactions because of it's possible use in illegal drug manufacture.

ollo_ollo 11-01-19 07:31 PM

Surprised no-one mentioned Amazon: 10# for $26.70, smaller amounts also avail, but price goes up pretty fast...5# is about $19.00 Don https://www.amazon.com/OXALIC-Crysta...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

conspiratemus1 11-02-19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dddd (Post 21190856)
I don't see why the solution can't be soaked into the dirt outside. The acid will react with the dirt and it will become neutralized over time.

Small amounts I mix in a bowl I just wash down the drain.

Use vinegar if concerned about handling and environmental impact.

I bought my powder from an online Taxidermy outfit. The powder may be regulated in some transactions because of it's possible use in illegal drug manufacture.

Exactly. For acids and alkalis, the solution to pollution really is dilution. We're not talking hydrocarbons, pesticides, or heavy metals here.....or even, <gasp>, the dreaded carbon dioxide.
But do protect your skin and your eyes while it's still concentrated.

3alarmer 11-02-19 11:16 PM

Material Safety Data Sheet
Oxalic acid, anhydrous, p.a