Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Campagnolo Record Carbon Crankset Faillure (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176068)

3rg0 06-19-19 05:00 AM

Campagnolo Record Carbon Crankset Failure

Hola,

I have a big problem with my Campy crankset...the alloy part (the one from BB) in the left arm has unglued from the carbon frame of the arm and now it moves. I don't know why..I didn't hit it or smth...can I repair this with rivets? Thank you!https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...888811fbc3.png
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2355fcee65.jpg

nomadmax 06-19-19 05:22 AM

I'm no carbon expert but if that happened to me, that crank would be trash.

rhenning 06-19-19 05:55 AM

It is at this point a pretty piece of junk. Roger

3rg0 06-19-19 06:32 AM

It won't move whole 360 degrees, it's still rideable, but it moves like one mm and it make some sounds...:( I love this crank so much...WHY GOOOOD WHYYYY??? :(((((

Cyclist0108 06-19-19 06:45 AM

Try glue. You have nothing to lose (except maybe your life when the thing catastrophically fails).

It was glued in there to begin with.

Some stuff really ought to be made out of metal.

3rg0 06-19-19 06:55 AM

["Mission Impossible" theme song playing]

My plan is to use rivets or screws (i have to drill holes in carbon material to reach the aluminium) so in this way i can pump some strong glue inside and fix the alloy with rivets or screws...Did i have a chance? I have nothing to lose now :))

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ccf0ac0095.png

Leebo 06-19-19 06:56 AM

Contact Campy?

HillRider 06-19-19 07:00 AM

How old is this crank? I assume several years since it's a square taper. Try contacting Campagnolo-USA and see if they will warranty it with a repair or replacement.

I agree with the others, I wouldn't ride it. It's only going to get worse and eventually fail completely and you don't want to be riding it when that happens. If the factory bond didn't hold, rivets won't either.

3rg0 06-19-19 07:05 AM

I brought it second handed 2 years ago...is the 2002 model...so...I belive that's the normal lifespan..so no need to contact Campy...they will say the same...I must admit it...it died :(

dsbrantjr 06-19-19 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20985772)
Try glue. You have nothing to lose (except maybe your life when the thing catastrophically fails).

It was glued in there to begin with.

+100 I hope that the OP's frame joints do not come unglued as well. :-(

Bandera 06-19-19 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20985772)

It's not 1969 anymore, fortunately.

Hardware, especially lightweight equipment designed for racing, fails in service at some point and needs to be replaced.
Remember the Campag drive-side crank-arms cracking back when? I do, and they were "metal".

Buying at the leading edge of tech gets you the privilege of having "cool stuff" and being a Beta tester.
Buying "second handed" once leading edge tech gets you someone else's problem and obsolescence.

-Bandera

fietsbob 06-19-19 08:34 AM

Buy new cranks and get cold forged aluminum ones this time..

Get the Record Track crankset ,,,since it looks like you're probably a fixie rider...

biker222 06-19-19 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 20985946)
It's not 1969 anymore, fortunately.

Hardware, especially lightweight equipment designed for racing, fails in service at some point and needs to be replaced.
Remember the Campag drive-side crank-arms cracking back when? I do, and they were "metal".

Buying at the leading edge of tech gets you the privilege of having "cool stuff" and being a Beta tester.
Buying "second handed" once leading edge tech gets you someone else's problem and obsolescence.

-Bandera

Even the Campy Record non drive arm had failures.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b9b9b7b9c9.jpg
This was sliced for analysis in an electron microscope and failure pointed to the concave machining on opposite side during manufacturing to cause stress fracture.

Bandera 06-19-19 09:21 AM

Even the Campy Record non drive arm had failures.
Clearly we are not viewing these failures in service in the correct reverent C&V Luddite revisionist rose-tinted view of old tech which being "metal" and made by Campagnolo was both a Holy Icon and Indestructible. Heresy to say otherwise, worth a visit from the Period Correct Inquisition for posting that heretical pic.

-Bandera

3alarmer 06-19-19 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 3rg0 (Post 20985760)
It won't move whole 360 degrees, it's still rideable, but it moves like one mm and it make some sounds...:( I love this crank so much...WHY GOOOOD WHYYYY??? :(((((

Originally Posted by God
Because it's made from plastic.

3alarmer 06-19-19 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 3rg0 (Post 20985788)
["Mission Impossible" theme song playing]

My plan is to use rivets or screws (i have to drill holes in carbon material to reach the aluminium) so in this way i can pump some strong glue inside and fix the alloy with rivets or screws...Did i have a chance? I have nothing to lose now :))

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ccf0ac0095.png

...that's a reasonable plan. I just have to wonder if you've ever busted a crank arm while you were standing up on the pedals. I'ts a very spectacular experience, and often leads to a comedic ending for everyone except the the rider. YOur estimate of what you have to lose ought to include your gonads.

AnkleWork 06-19-19 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 20986090)
...that's a reasonable plan. I just have to wonder if you've ever busted a crank arm while you were standing up on the pedals. I'ts a very spectacular experience, and often leads to a comedic ending for everyone except the the rider. YOur estimate of what you have to lose ought to include your gonads.

+1 And teeth.

OP: Racing and pseudo-racing parts have limited life and are disposable. You paid extra for that. Your plan weakens the crank arm at the worst possible place -- please reconsider.

Wilfred Laurier 06-19-19 10:28 AM

This rivet-or-screw plan sounds stupid - the area you indicate you intend to drill and put fasteners is probably the most highly stressed area of the part, and drilling will remove material and therefore strength.. Check ebay for a replacement left arm, or buy a new crankset.

There are a lot of equipment failures that you can happily walk away from. A broken crankarm is generally not one of them.

fronesis 06-19-19 11:10 AM

To the OP: please buy a new crank.

I know that nearly 20 years ago that was a really nice carbon campy crank and it has "Record" printed on it, but it's not safe to ride it now – and you can easily replace it with a very nice, highly functional crank, without spending much money.

AnkleWork 06-19-19 11:32 AM

THIS!:

Originally Posted by fronesis (Post 20986241)
To the OP: please buy a new crank.

I know that nearly 20 years ago that was a really nice carbon campy crank and it has "Record" printed on it, but it's not safe to ride it now – and you can easily replace it with a very nice, highly functional crank, without spending much money.

Originally Posted by 3rg0 (Post 20985760)
I love this crank so much...WHY GOOOOD WHYYYY??? :(((((

OP: It's time to fall out of love. You can keep the crank, admire it, caress it, just don't ride it.

3rg0 06-19-19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnkleWork (Post 20986274)
THIS!:

OP: It's time to fall out of love. You can keep the crank, admire it, caress it, just don't ride it.

That's exactly what I'm going to do! Time for a new crank...I have 3 bicycles so there is no hurry :D

3rg0 06-19-19 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 20986194)
This rivet-or-screw plan sounds stupid - the area you indicate you intend to drill and put fasteners is probably the most highly stressed area of the part, and drilling will remove material and therefore strength.. Check ebay for a replacement left arm, or buy a new crankset.

There are a lot of equipment failures that you can happily walk away from. A broken crankarm is generally not one of them.

You are perfectly right...I'm no engenieer but yeah...I was so upset that many "not-too-briliant-plans" have come up in my head...I will buy a new one :D

3rg0 06-19-19 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 20986090)

Yeah...the "cohones" will be no more:)))

3rg0 06-19-19 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20985965)
Buy new cranks and get cold forged aluminum ones this time..

Yeah I know but with a muffed carbon frame ..nope..

fietsbob 06-19-19 12:40 PM

current campagnolo cranks are no longer square taper https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en

Maybe you can mail, yours to an authorized Campagnolo service center ??

5431 Avenida Encinas, Suite C ,
, Carlsbad California, 92008 ..

They will say if its repairable. and how much $$ it is, if they were approved to try..