Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   A Mug of Beer or Glass of Wine after the Bicycle is stowed for the night? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1221866)

5 mph 01-18-21 09:25 PM

A Mug of Beer or Glass of Wine after the Bicycle is stowed for the night?

Are over 50 bike riders teetotalers?
I haven't had any Beer or Wine for the last ten years. To me, exercise (running for many years prior to biking) gave me the pleasant sensation I was seeking. Plus, my spouse doesn't partake either, and it never showed up in the refrigerator. My job took up a lot of time.
I guess one other thing. Even when I was in my late forties, just two beers would knock me out.
Life is short. I may reverse course soon! Maybe this summer after a long hot bike ride I will have a cold gold Hefeweizen.

shrtdstncrdr 01-18-21 11:03 PM

I dunno, if being of full blooded German decent means anything, since I started to have a little alcohol every few days I feel better than I did when I very rarely drank any alcohol. I don't come from a family of abusers on either parent's side. Certainly my mood is overall improved. Appetite seems better too. All anecdotal, some will say. So what? Most of what we base our decisions upon turns out to be anecdotal. You do you.

velojym 01-18-21 11:10 PM

I used to drink a lot, but after turning 21, it was now legal and not so much fun anymore.

I'll probably have about 3 or 4 beers a year now, but not really a teetotaler.

OldTryGuy 01-18-21 11:31 PM

Never cared for a light buzzzz or more but did enjoy a cold Yuengling on a hot day following a ride and Red was at dinner. Now I'll drink cold Heineken 0.0 or Bud ZERO anytime of the day.

Even have 0.0 or ZERO in a water bottle while riding.

Trakhak 01-19-21 05:04 AM

"I would not put a thief in my mouth to steal my brains." Mattie Ross, in True Grit.

SapInMyBlood 01-19-21 05:41 AM

Post-ride is one of the few times that I really drink anything. After a long day of slogging in the heat, a beer sure does hit the spot

nomadmax 01-19-21 06:41 AM

There's a good reason why Campagnolo made this.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...019fe7c873.jpg

Phil_gretz 01-19-21 09:59 AM

I enjoy a beer now and then, especially while finishing yard work on a hot day.

I also love to ride my bike.

I don't associate the two for any reason in particular, though.

tilsover 01-19-21 10:16 AM

Beer after a ride? Yes, please. And perhaps a bourbon a little later. Thank you, and good riding!

Carbonfiberboy 01-19-21 10:23 AM

Immediately after a long hard group ride, a cold pint of pain solvent feels really good. When we ride from some rural spot, we bring coolers.

bruce19 01-19-21 10:32 AM

Every night...3 or 4 oz of bourbon or rye.

Litespud 01-19-21 11:14 AM

A cold one at the end of a hot ride is a great idea (I'm Irish - a cold one at the end of pretty much anything sounds like a good idea...). A while back I started restricting beer to "non-school nights" (Fri/Sat) for the general "health and reducing empty calories" reasons, and I'm in the middle of "Dry January" for some reason not entirely clear to me, except I set these challenges for myself. I've tried a couple of NA beers (Becks and Clausthaler), but, while they're better than soda, they're pretty unsatisfying. Will continue the exploration because, while I like beer, I don't drink it to get drunk - a decent low/no-alcohol beer would work just as well.

rydabent 01-19-21 11:43 AM

I actually prefer a huge glass of ice water.

Biker395 01-19-21 12:56 PM

It depends on the temps. If it was particularly hot, a beer tastes good. If it was particularly cold, hot coffee or an irish coffee sounds good. Otherwise make mine a Mt. Dew.

KenCT 01-19-21 01:05 PM

I quit drinking over 6 years ago. However I do like a cold non-alcohol beer or two after a hard ride. Some of the craft NA beers are pretty good.

surveyor6 01-19-21 03:33 PM

Dry red wine. It doesn’t wake me up to pee during the night.

Skullo 01-19-21 03:58 PM

Heineken 0.0 , tastes like beer and I never want more than
one.

trailangel 01-19-21 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21884229)
Never cared for a light buzzzz or more but did enjoy a cold Yuengling on a hot day following a ride and Red was at dinner. Now I'll drink cold Heineken 0.0 or Bud ZERO anytime of the day.

Even have 0.0 or ZERO in a water bottle while riding.

jsilvia 01-19-21 04:23 PM

After a ride I always have a Cappuccino

OldsCOOL 01-19-21 04:37 PM

For me, more often than not it’s V-8 or pickle juice straight out of the jar.

Koyote 01-19-21 05:01 PM

I drink every single day. A couple beers, or a beer with dinner and a Scotch Whisky before bed. That's my vice. Well, that, and red licorice.

DeadGrandpa 01-19-21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 21885389)
For me, more often than not it’s V-8 or pickle juice straight out of the jar.

You and I might be from the same planet. During the summer, especially, I crave both of those beverages after every ride.

OldsCOOL 01-19-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa (Post 21885429)
You and I might be from the same planet. During the summer, especially, I crave both of those beverages after every ride.

After a longer than usual ride (and my crazy inclination toward under hydrating) in hot weather, it’s grab that jar of pickles before a cramp hits a hamstring. :lol:

Cougrrcj 01-19-21 06:45 PM

German beers are my weakness.. My Kryptonite.

IPAs? Bleech!

Over the years, I have found that it was the preservatives in Domestic beers that gave me a headache, not the alcohol. I can drink German beers (no preservatives) without any issue at all.

Warsteiner, St Pauli, Dab, Bitburger, and others... My absolute favorite is Kulmbacher Edelherb Pils, but it is very hard to find here in the Midwest. When I do find it, it is a treat!

Ogsarg 01-19-21 07:03 PM

Almost always have a craft beer of some kind after a ride of more than a few hours. Usually follow that up with several glasses of water.