Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1105191)

miyata man 10-12-17 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 19925447)
We used to have a book thread.

Was it also a twitter thread? Modern attention spans and all, I have to ask.

himespau 10-12-17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19925401)
I think half his novels are brilliant and the other half are annoying.

I'll agree with this point (didn't read his newest yet). I have to say all movie versions of his books that I've seen are terrible regardless of whether I liked the book. I haven't seen the miniseries of The Night Manager (which I really enjoyed when the book came out when I was a teenager), but I don't get some of the casting decisions that appear to have been made for it.

Ttoc6 10-12-17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19925413)
Honestly expected you to reply last night so I could tell you I was just giving you a hard time. Nowhere near what Mikey saw here years ago but similar in lording something with no real response possible over the recipient. My intent was to let you off the hook right away before there was no chance of it exhibiting a sense of humor.

If after working 8 hours and riding another 3 you want to recover in front of the tv. There is nothing I or anyone else can say. It is called the idiot box for a reason though.

No worries, I caught your tone:).

I'm on 4x10 hour work days and get most of my TV watching out of the way when I'm doing my training rides. Dinner, chill out while I'm eating. Do some post ride analysis / reading on the internet. Attempt to accomplish some sort of cleaning, organizing or other chores and then off to bed. If I haven't spent too long on the internet or doing whatever else I read before I meditate and fall asleep.

I use Fri through Sunday to accomplish anything of importance. Like my first dentist appointment on my own insurance tomorrow. Yay!

topflightpro 10-12-17 01:37 PM

Good for you. I think it was probably 4 or 5 years before I got around to seeing a dentist once I was on my own insurance.

(Part of the delay was finding a dentist that actually took my insurance.)

Now, I try to get all my annual check ups in. And, I'm even going to an otolaryngologist tomorrow to try to figure out why I can't hear in my left ear, other than the occasional ringing.

big john 10-12-17 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19925455)
Was it also a twitter thread? Modern attention spans and all, I have to ask.

No, the twitter thread was the original incarnation of this thread. "Babes, bikes, and bowel movements."

The book thread was it's own thread.

miyata man 10-12-17 02:24 PM

I have faith this thread will soon be onto another subject that someone is less involved with than others. Or seasonally abandoned as is normal.

I see why you changed the title though. ;)

caloso 10-12-17 02:34 PM

One of my favorite Twitter accounts posts a line or two from Moby Dick every day. That Melville guy could write a little.

Ygduf 10-12-17 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19925266)
I have a weakness for sci fi and I read basically all of it. As in, I'll scour amazon looking for stuff I haven't yet read. I enjoyed this series and am looking forward to the next one which is due out in a month or so.

make some recommendations to me. I love both fantasy and sci-fi and read a lot.

gsteinb 10-12-17 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19925633)
I have faith this thread will soon be onto another subject that someone is less involved with than others. Or seasonally abandoned as is normal.

I see why you changed the title though. ;)

hmm. the old thread got too large, and when that happens it slows the forum page loads down. So they get closed, and a new one was started. No conspiracy or elitism involved. Although I wasn't around so maybe I'm reading it wrong and it really was a GC coup d'etat.

globecanvas 10-12-17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 19925676)

OK, read this entire series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series

"Classic" fantasy I am less into, but I enjoyed this series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

globecanvas 10-12-17 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 19925676)

Looking at the list of books I've read in 2017, these were the sleeper highlights:

Walkaway
Six Wakes
Abyss Beyond Dreams
Revenger

furiousferret 10-12-17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19925687)
OK, read this entire series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series

"Classic" fantasy I am less into, but I enjoyed this series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law

That'll probably be my next one, since Iain Banks keeps getting bumped from my list.

himespau 10-12-17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 19925528)
Good for you. I think it was probably 4 or 5 years before I got around to seeing a dentist once I was on my own insurance.

(Part of the delay was finding a dentist that actually took my insurance.)

Now, I try to get all my annual check ups in. And, I'm even going to an otolaryngologist tomorrow to try to figure out why I can't hear in my left ear, other than the occasional ringing.

It's been almost 5 years in my current city and I still haven't found an MD - got a dentist beecause it's my wife's and she set it up. If her doctor was a GP rather than a women's specific doctor, I'd use her too. That's what I did when we lived in Boston.

Ttoc6 10-12-17 03:41 PM

I'll find a gp after the new year. I picked the "wrong" health insurance plan when I hired on here. Want to make sure I don't end up locked into a network since I plan to do quite a bit of traveling (for racing) next year. And with bike racing being a risky sport I don't want to go broke because I fell down while I'm out of town.

gsteinb 10-12-17 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
View from the top of whiteface tonight

revchuck 10-12-17 06:08 PM

Nice!

Flatballer 10-12-17 06:58 PM

So I'm on my phone making it hard to reply to everyone and stuff.

I'm reading Cary's translation. Any comments on that one? Is there a better one I should try? I generally try to read just stuff I can get on Amazon for free. Otherwise I spend $50 a month on books.

revchuck 10-12-17 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19924744)
English is essentially a bunch of mispronounced words that found religion in diction and direct phonetic spellings from the romantic languages. In some cases the exact carryover is hilarious, add accent or subtract a heavy tongue. I'd bet a few of you are old enough to remember at least an older sibling learning Latin in school.

Well...um...no. English started out as Anglo-Saxon, which included some elements of Latin as a result of the Roman occupation. After 1066 Norman French (at that time just one of several French dialects) made inroads among the aristocracy but not so much the commoners. To get an idea of how that worked out three centuries later, take a look at Canterbury Tales in the original - not too much French, and even a character (the Wife of Bath) who is ridiculed for her lousy French. Because France and England are such close neighbors, there was a lot of borrowing in both directions. And English has swapped words with other languages, too. It's a mutt language.

But then so is French. And German. And Spanish. All three countries have official government "academies" whose purpose is to maintain the purity of their language. The French and Spanish want to exclude English, a task at which they've utterly failed in the realm of IT. The Germans? They want to exclude French. There's a metric ****-ton of verb infinitives in German which end in -iern, all of which are loan words from French.

The most hardcore, though, are the Québecois. The provincial government has its own office to keep their French pure, and they're even stricter than the folks in Paris.

Many English speakers - Americans especially - have an undeserved inferiority complex concerning their native language. It's a beautiful language with a colorful history and amazing literature.

Oh, and I'm the sibling who took Latin in school. :)

miyata man 10-12-17 07:30 PM

OK or okay. Did you know that is an Indian word? You are very correct about the origin and it being a mutt language. Much of what has come since loosely fits my cavalier description and continues to as it evolves.

There was a reason I mentioned Latin at the very end. Which is still very relevant in the highest spheres of education and was by dint of conquering forces the first (semi-)universal language. The English were the next world power and their language had similar effect. Much as the Spanish had a lasting impression on South America.

@gsteinb I am very well aware of the phantom page effect and server load that requires deletion of extensive and extensively modified threads from the accessible version of the site. Removing a literal reading of what I wrote. We are left with a canny joke about what a stinker of a name the first iteration of the 33's official off topic thread had and a move to cross your blade before you cut off a fairly interesting side discussion. I see how much action the music thread gets and can imagine why it came into being. If you really want me to stop driving this I will.

gsteinb 10-13-17 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by miyata man (Post 19926250)
\
@gsteinb I am very well aware of the phantom page effect and server load that requires deletion of extensive and extensively modified threads from the accessible version of the site. Removing a literal reading of what I wrote. We are left with a canny joke about what a stinker of a name the first iteration of the 33's official off topic thread had and a move to cross your blade before you cut off a fairly interesting side discussion. I see how much action the music thread gets and can imagine why it came into being. If you really want me to stop driving this I will.

wasn't a move to cut of a side discussion. just a random point. though it would be easier to re-find some cool book recommendation someone made had they stayed in one place, imo.

topflightpro 10-13-17 10:00 AM

Well, my doctor appointment this morning didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Looks like I'm going to need a hearing aid of some sort in my left ear, and I need to go back for an MRI in a couple weeks to see whether my hearing loss is being caused by an acoustic neuroma - essentially a benign tumor. Yay!

globecanvas 10-13-17 03:16 PM

Boo to hearing loss. Hope it's nothing serious!

Ygduf 10-13-17 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19928046)
Boo to hearing loss. Hope it's nothing serious!

What?

miyata man 10-13-17 03:49 PM

I didn't, and still don't, want to seem insensitive by pointing out the advances in BT capable hearing aids. When one door closes another door opens.

Best of luck getting this resolved.

caloso 10-13-17 03:52 PM

That sucks.

gsteinb 10-13-17 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 19927327)
Well, my doctor appointment this morning didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Looks like I'm going to need a hearing aid of some sort in my left ear, and I need to go back for an MRI in a couple weeks to see whether my hearing loss is being caused by an acoustic neuroma - essentially a benign tumor. Yay!

We can commiserate on medical issues. I just had a CT scan on my noggin to check for a cause for memory loss and some other issues. Concern is trauma from multiple concussions. Hope you're ok.

Doge 10-13-17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 19928206)
We can commiserate on medical issues. I just had a CT scan on my noggin to check for a cause for memory loss and some other issues. Concern is trauma from multiple concussions. Hope you're ok.

So many medical issues around me - I don't post about it. But I am sorry for the hearing loss and the memory.
On memory, I wanted to remind you - Syracuse is playing Clemson in football right now.

gsteinb 10-13-17 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 19928272)
So many medical issues around me - I don't post about it. But I am sorry for the hearing loss and the memory.
On memory, I wanted to remind you - Syracuse is playing Clemson in football right now.

:) with a son in music school the sports thing kinda of sails past me. I did get into the basketball tournament stuff, but it's odd since my son is completely removed from it. Has no interest or idea that sports are even going on. I'm like "dude, your team beat _______, it must be party central," and he's like "dunno, I'm in Setnor rehearsing."

I want to go back to college

Doge 10-13-17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 19928304)

I want to go back to college

I thought you did this month.

gsteinb 10-13-17 05:36 PM

well, sort of. But I want to be a student. I think most kids don't realize what an incredible opportunity it is.