Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bianchi Serial Number Identification (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=70572)

nolageek 10-14-04 09:59 PM

Bianchi Serial Number Identification
 
Is there a site that has the Bianchi serial numbers cross refferences with date of manufacture? I tried e-mail Bianchiusa and they told me there "is no serial number database" that they can look at to tell me more about my bike. I find that odd, but that's what they told me.

Any other suggestions?

Vincent

John E 10-15-04 09:42 AM

If you can figure out Bianchi serial numbers, Vincent, you are a far better man than I!

If anyone else is interested, we can start our own a Bianchi serial number database. I'll start with my two entries. To participate, just copy the body of the message and paste in your own entry. Let's try to keep it organized by year, then by model.

date
purchased model S/N

Dec. 1962 Corsa 2F51703

ca. 1981 Campione d'Italia 1M9914

nolageek 10-15-04 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by John E
If you can figure out Bianchi serial numbers, Vincent, you are a far better man than I!

If anyone else is interested, we can start our own a Bianchi serial number database. I'll start with my two entries. To participate, just copy the body of the message and paste in your own entry. Let's try to keep it organized by year, then by model.

It appears that the first digit of yours are the last digit in the year of production.



date
purchased model S/N

Dec. 1962 Corsa 2F51703
ca. 1981 Campione d'Italia 1M9914



Unknown Selvio S4504D5

John E 10-15-04 04:52 PM


Originally Posted by nolageek
It appears that the first digit of yours are the last digit in the year of production.



date
purchased model S/N

Dec. 1962 Corsa 2F51703
ca. 1981 Campione d'Italia 1M9914



Unknown Selvio S4504D5


Yes, I had considered that possibility, including a reversal of the old Schwinn Month-Year system, such that 2F = 1962 June and 1M = 1981 December, assuming H = August and J = September, ala Schwinn. Unfortunately, other people's Bianchis did not seem to fit this pattern. :(

Is your Selvio a Japanese Bianchi (BB shell measures 68mm instead of 70mm across, excluding lockring and fixed cup flange)? They would presumably use a different numbering system.

nolageek 10-15-04 10:54 PM

I will measure and get back to you. It has the Made In Italy sticker, but I guess that could juist be where it was assembled?

John E 10-16-04 12:52 PM

If it says "Made in Italy," it probably was brazed or welded there and presumably has a 70mm bottom bracket.

Finney71 03-12-09 11:44 AM

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Bianchi frame. It is baby blue with a shimano dreailer and sakae crank arm. The serial number in DS484284. I can only assume the bike is from the mid to late 80's but was wondering the same thing as many others, which is if there is a web site, catalog, book that would tell the tale of the frame or bike as a whole. This question has already been asked but here it is again for those who may be in the know on such a matter.

T-Mar 03-12-09 11:54 AM

Finney71, your Bianchi was made in Japan in 1984, but could be a 1985 model.

trueno92 03-12-09 12:04 PM

speaking of this, when exactly did bianchi start manufacturing in Japan?

I ask, because I have read of bravas made in japan as early as 1986, but there are others made in italy as late as 1988...

was there a cutoff? or did they just have both manufacturing feeding different parts of the world?

Finney71 03-12-09 01:07 PM

Thanks
 
Thank you to T-Mar for weighing in and getting me closer to finding material that will give me the specs of my bike. I am without wheels and hubs but I have worked to do before I put anymore parts on the bike. I would be interested in the source of information that led T-mar to know the bike is from the mid eighties.

retrofit 03-12-09 01:22 PM

Hi Finney71,

Go to http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/ to view Bianchi catalogues (among many others) for the '84 - '85 time period. And welcome to BF!

stan

T-Mar 03-13-09 06:49 AM


Originally Posted by trueno92 (Post 8517526)
speaking of this, when exactly did bianchi start manufacturing in Japan?

I ask, because I have read of bravas made in japan as early as 1986, but there are others made in italy as late as 1988...

was there a cutoff? or did they just have both manufacturing feeding different parts of the world?

Unfortunately, there is no clear cutoff. We've seen cases of models being being offloaded to Japan for a couple of years, then being brought back to Italy. It's all comes down to economics and the relative value of the yen to the lira. Most of Bianchi's entry and mid range models were being manufactured in Japan in the early 1980s, unless they were spec'd with Italian components.

Then, circa 1985, there was a massive re-evalution of the yen that made most manufacturers offload to cheaper Taiwanese production. In Bianchi's case, it appears that the entry level models went to Taiwan while the lower mid-range models, such as the Brava and Limited, were brought back to Italy.


Originally Posted by Finney71 (Post 8517526)
Thank you to T-Mar for weighing in and getting me closer to finding material that will give me the specs of my bike. I am without wheels and hubs but I have worked to do before I put anymore parts on the bike. I would be interested in the source of information that led T-mar to know the bike is from the mid eighties. ?

I'm a Quality Engineer trained to look for patterns in data. I've decyphered the serial number codes for many manufacturers by collecting serial number data, component date code data and pictures of bicycles models. Once I've determined a pattern and identified the relevant indicators, I compare my theory against the component date code data and the corresponding models in my old catalogs and magazines. For examples, take a look at my Centurion Serial Number Database threaqd and Nishiki Serial Number Database thread, which you can search for using the toolbar at the top of this page.

If there are no matches on the Bulgier site, you can post pics, list components, and state the seat post diameter. This will allow us to at least determine the relative level of your bicycle, if not identify the exact model.

balindamood 03-13-09 11:43 PM

T-Mar or others-

I recently came upon a Japanese made '87 Bianchi Sport SX, Ser#AS718273 (on the seat tube), Suntour alpha-5000 components. I am interested in knowing more about the frame geometry (beacuse I really like this one) and more about the "Bianchi Superset" Tange double-butted tubing.

Thanks.

T-Mar 03-14-09 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by balindamood (Post 8527258)
T-Mar or others-

I recently came upon a Japanese made '87 Bianchi Sport SX, Ser#AS718273 (on the seat tube), Suntour alpha-5000 components. I am interested in knowing more about the frame geometry (beacuse I really like this one) and more about the "Bianchi Superset" Tange double-butted tubing.

Thanks.

Superset refers to a mixed tubeset, typically with a heavier gauge downtube and chainstays. In this case, I believe it's a mixture of Tange 900 & 1000.

The Sport was an upper entry level model with sports/touring geometry. Geometry will vary depending on the size, but suffice to say that the seat and headtube angle will be a slacker than a racing model of the same size. Also, there's more rake and a slightly longer wheelbase and chainstays. All this is meant to make it more comfortable and less twitchy than a racing bicycle. However, it is more sporty that the boom era sports/touring models. It's well suited to long, fast, day rides and the occassional triathlon.

balindamood 03-14-09 12:36 PM

Thanks, T-mar. The clearances between the rims and the brake bridge are rather tight (about 45mm from center of braking surface to the center of brake bolt). I also noticed that the fork rake looks rather generous. I am considering doing a 650B conversion, so I was interested in re-calculating the trail based upon the new wheel size. It is a 58 cm frame (c-c I think).

T-Mar 03-15-09 12:23 PM


Originally Posted by balindamood (Post 8528910)
... I am considering doing a 650B conversion, so I was interested in re-calculating the trail based upon the new wheel size. It is a 58 cm frame (c-c I think).

Use a 73 head angle and 45mm rake for your calculations. Of course the results will all depend on the actual tire diameters but I'm guessing that you're looking at less than 5mm difference

balindamood 03-15-09 12:35 PM

Thanks, again T-Mar. I thought the rake would be more in the 50mm range (near impossible to measure accurately with the tools I have available). The fork bend is very similar to an '86 Trek 310 I have.

jet sanchEz 03-15-09 03:54 PM

I have a bike that I was told is a Japanese Bianchi but wanted to be sure.

JS19084 is the number, does that ring any bells?

T-Mar 03-15-09 07:04 PM


Originally Posted by jet sanchEz (Post 8534486)
I have a bike that I was told is a Japanese Bianchi but wanted to be sure.

JS19084 is the number, does that ring any bells?

Based on the serial number, it IS Japanese.

roccobike 03-15-09 07:07 PM

Soooo, Are we going to start a Bianchi Serial Number database?

jet sanchEz 03-15-09 07:35 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 8535497)
Based on the serial number, it IS Japanese.

Great, thanks. So, it is probably a 1984 Japanese Bianchi?

asharx 04-09-09 08:17 PM

I just purchased a Japanese Bianchi from usedottawa.com. The serial number that I found on the bottom bracket is: LS206786

I am not sure what model it is. My plan is to make this my daily commuter bike.

Bianchigirll 04-11-09 10:01 AM

serial number data?
 
Hello

I agree with the other post I don't think Bianchi USA ever kept track of serial numbers. if you are interested in knowing when the bike was made I am sure there are enough Bianchi geeketes and geeks here to help if you post more info and perhaps a pic. what color is it? 27" or 700c wheels?

asharx 04-11-09 12:32 PM

I'll put some pictures up once I get it back from the bike shop. It is in for a tune up at the moment.

jpcapeann 04-16-09 04:15 PM

I have a Sport SX with SN BS801036 under the crank. A sticker on the seat tube says Made in Japan, and above the shifters says Campione del Mondo 86-87. Does anyone know the year of manufacture by reading the SN? Thanks for any help.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.