Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Tour De France Bicycle (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=688172)

collinmaher 10-16-10 02:52 PM

Tour De France Bicycle

I bought what looks to be an older touring bike. it says made in france and it says tour de france and the model is Riviera. I cant find much about the bike. i would put a picture of it on here but the picture is too big i guess. i can email some pictures of it to someone who is willing to try and figure this one out. i may be having many other bikes to look up too. anyways. i dont know how many speeds it is but it has several gears on it and it has the fancy "curl up "handle bars on it. any info would be helpful as to the value. and where to sell it at. i dont do ebay yet. oh and if i need to post this in a different section then just say so. :thumb:

wrk101 10-16-10 04:27 PM

Two places to sell most bikes, either ebay or Craigs List. Both are going to take lots of great pictures to get maximum value. Open an account at Flickr or Photobucket. Do a search on google on how to place high quality pictures into Craigs List. On any sale, the person with the most knowledge, wins. So your best bet is to use Google and other search options to learn as much as you can on the bike(s) first. Then value is all about condition. I buy many bikes myself in "project" condition. In such shape, bikes sell at a huge discount. Most buyers want bikes ready to go. A project bike taken to a shop for repairs, can cost $200 to $250 to get in ready to ride condition. Most bikes don't have that kind of value, although some do. So if you can clean them up yourself, you will get more for them.

collinmaher 10-18-10 06:08 AM

Thank you for the help. I guess my only problem is that my first 2 bikes are kinda odd ball. I got a redone bike that said D.P harris 1940 on it. Come to find out its really a murray. And now its kinda hard to identify causxe the front badge is gone. And then this french bike I can't find much on cause as soon as I type in tour de france a whole lot of other stuff come up. But thanks for the help. And I will do what I can.

Bianchigirll 10-18-10 05:26 PM

Pics?

collinmaher 10-18-10 08:24 PM

i dont know how to put pictureson here from my phone

All I have is my phone for right now. And I can't seem to get any pic up on here:crash: . Any help? Another question. At what point do I say? Hey maybe this bike will sell better with a fresh paint job and new stickers. Is that something to look into. Cause the bike has surface rust but certainly nothing minor. Oh and I found out its a 10 speed bike. Is there any way I can just send one to a personal email?
:thumb:... I love that smiley face

wrk101 10-18-10 08:38 PM

Quality fresh paint and stickers will cost you about $300. At best, bike might be worth about $150 at that point.

collinmaher 10-20-10 04:00 AM

Did sears ever make any bikes worth having? Well let me ask that question a different way. There are a couple of old sears bikes I found and the guy will give em to me for 3 bucks a piece. All the chrome is good. And its got the basket on the front. The wheels aren't on it but I might be able to find them.