Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Robots in your bike lane, coming soon (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178435)

Chinghis 07-15-19 05:23 PM

Robots in your bike lane, coming soon
 
Well, hopefully not. But The Verge reports that a startup has recently unveiled plans to develop delivery robots for the last mile that use bike lanes instead of sidewalks. Because we obviously have even less political clout than pedestrians. I already have an issue with the e-boarders, uniwheel guys, random parked cars, etc. in bike lanes. Sure, let's add robots that may or may not see the primary users of the lane. Heck, we don't even know how well driverless cars are going to interact with us.

Slightspeed 07-15-19 07:13 PM

What happens when a driverless car runs over an e-robot delivery thing?
E-Rage?

Is there an app that calls an e-cop to sort it out?
An e-doctor?
An e-lawyer?

Oh, the humanity!

velojym 07-15-19 07:17 PM

Hmm... delivery-bot bike polo!

MikeyMK 07-15-19 08:49 PM

Already here in my town, already a problem. I haven't hit one yet but they're fidgety and unpredictable. They don't always keep to their side, they break down... They sit at crossings forever and take up all the space whilst doing so, because they sit between the yellow posts we have at every crossing (pictured)...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3722091d89.jpg

Slightspeed 07-15-19 08:55 PM

And we need these things ... WHY? 😡

What about the "no motorized vehicle rule" on bike paths?

wipekitty 07-15-19 09:05 PM

How fast do these puppies move? I wouldn't complain if I could get a good 25MPH draft... :lol:

I'd be really surprised to see these things last more than a week or two before disgruntled cyclists start flipping them upside down and leaving them on the sidewalks or disgruntled drivers start mowing them down.

Rick 07-15-19 10:22 PM

Don't worry about it yet. They are only allowing them in civilized countries. If they started using those things her the druggies and the homeless would scrap them and sell the parts off. Her meaning California.

MattTheHat 07-16-19 04:36 AM


Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21029059)
How fast do these puppies move? I wouldn't complain if I could get a good 25MPH draft... :lol:

I'd be really surprised to see these things last more than a week or two before disgruntled cyclists start flipping them upside down and leaving them on the sidewalks or disgruntled drivers start mowing them down.

E-turtles!

-Matt

livedarklions 07-16-19 04:59 AM

Pretty sure the only way these would be legal on most American bike paths is if they put pedals on them or have disabled people riding them.

Seriously, if motor rules aren't made very clear, there's some urban paths that could essentially turn them into commercial delivery routes. For example, pedal assist rules currently limit speed, but so far no regulation of weight, which is inviting to heavy cargo bikes.

indyfabz 07-16-19 05:27 AM


Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21029281)
E-turtles!

-Matt

Tip them over like turtles and see how far they get.

bobwysiwyg 07-16-19 05:28 AM


Originally Posted by Rick (Post 21029142)
Don't worry about it yet. They are only allowing them in civilized countries. If they started using those things her the druggies and the homeless would scrap them and sell the parts off. Her meaning California.

Pretty much my take also. I fail to see how they, or their potentially valuable continents would be protected. They sound like a solution in search of a problem. :foo:

indyfabz 07-16-19 05:29 AM


Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 21029046)
And we need these things ... WHY? 😡

Haven't you seen the film WALL-E?

bobwysiwyg 07-16-19 05:39 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21029328)
Haven't you seen the film WALL-E?

Ha, missed it, thanks. Must have been otherwise preoccupied back in 2008. :)

indyfabz 07-16-19 05:49 AM


Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 21029337)
Ha, missed it, thanks. Must have been otherwise preoccupied back in 2008. :)

It's set in the future. People have become too fat and lazy to do anything for themselves. They move around on hover lounge chairs, watch TV and eat.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...916825d7ec.jpg

TimothyH 07-16-19 05:59 AM

What do you guys who love Continental tires so much think of Continental's robot system?

It is an autonomous vehicle which spews lots of little robots.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2891c1a144.jpg

Still gonna buy Continental bike tires after these things start rolling?


-Tim-

eja_ bottecchia 07-16-19 06:24 AM


Originally Posted by MikeyMK (Post 21029040)
Already here in my town, already a problem. I haven't hit one yet but they're fidgety and unpredictable. They don't always keep to their side, they break down... They sit at crossings forever and take up all the space whilst doing so, because they sit between the yellow posts we have at every crossing (pictured)...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3722091d89.jpg

There is something sad about that picture, the little bot, like a kid, waiting until it is safe to cross the street.

There will be a bot in your future. My son teaches robotics and is the coach of the schoolís robotics tean.

It has been a long time since Asimovís Three Laws of Robotics. :thumb:

eja_ bottecchia 07-16-19 06:37 AM


Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 21029046)
... What about the "no motorized vehicle rule" on bike paths?

The future is here.

Does that rule apply to e-bikes as well? It should.

pdlamb 07-16-19 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by wipekitty (Post 21029059)
I'd be really surprised to see these things last more than a week or two before disgruntled cyclists start flipping them upside down and leaving them on the sidewalks or disgruntled drivers start mowing them down.

Took the words right out of my ... keyboard.

Or treat them like dogs and hit it in the camera with the contents of a water bottle. Containing something sticky and salty.

indyfabz 07-16-19 07:57 AM


Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21029358)
What do you guys who love Continental tires so much think of Continental's robot system?

It is an autonomous vehicle which spews lots of little robots.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2891c1a144.jpg

Still gonna buy Continental bike tires after these things start rolling?


-Tim-

Yes.

indyfabz 07-16-19 08:24 AM

Meet Marty. He works for a regional grocery store chain roaming the aisles looking for spills, which he then alerts management to. The day I met Marty he was slowly spinning around in the same space not doing much of anything. So in that respect he was much like some of the human employees. That aside, he's a robot that works at a grocery store. Let that sink in.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5e02111ffc.jpg

MattTheHat 07-16-19 08:36 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21029324)
Tip them over like turtles and see how far they get.

E-zactly!

-Matt

Spinay70 07-16-19 09:27 AM


Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 21028870)
What happens when a driverless car runs over an e-robot delivery thing?
E-Rage?

Is there an app that calls an e-cop to sort it out?
An e-doctor?
An e-lawyer?

Oh, the humanity!

e - Looting

Worknomore 07-16-19 09:29 AM

Cool! More fun than shooting drones.

Skipjacks 07-16-19 09:53 AM

It's robot fighting time!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...dj_400x400.jpg


But seriously....I'll just rig up a system where this robot automatically stays 10 feet ahead of my bike and the delivery robot problem will be solved.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20180501040226

(Those of you who get it...I love you)

velojym 07-16-19 10:15 AM

Bike path escort service? Sure! :D


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...859a199c38.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.