Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   I can finally get back to wrenching again (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179123)

sloar 07-23-19 09:00 AM

I can finally get back to wrenching again

Since moving I went from a two car garage to an 8x8 shed. I finally built a 16x14 shop, need to finish the shingles, but I’m a happy guy. Didn’t turn out to bad since I had no idea what I was doing. I’m not a construction person and I built this by myself from scratch.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...psvfoj2qql.jpg

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...psogbrfhev.jpg

Hudson308 07-23-19 09:05 AM

That would make a nice shop!!! :thumb:

markwesti 07-23-19 09:21 AM

Nice work !

noglider 07-23-19 11:10 AM

Excellent. Did you look at plans or draw your own or just improvise?

BFisher 07-23-19 12:06 PM

That looks good! I like that side door.

Coincidentally, I'll be getting the ball rolling on a 10 x 10 in the next few days.

sloar 07-23-19 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21041032)
Excellent. Did you look at plans or draw your own or just improvise?

Improvised the whole project and just went with whatever happened. I knew the size but the rest was a mystery.

sloar 07-23-19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by BFisher (Post 21041168)
That looks good! I like that side door.

Coincidentally, I'll be getting the ball rolling on a 10 x 10 in the next few days.

Thanks, I wanted to be able to pull the golf cart or mower in to work on them. Last time I worked on the mower I dropped a nut in the grass and spent 20 minutes looking for it.

3speedslow 07-23-19 05:12 PM

Sweet if you didn’t have to get building approval. Hinges on the outside make it easy for thieves to gain entry.

curbtender 07-23-19 05:46 PM

Turned out nice. Put a vent on the roof, if haven't already. I had to stay at 10x12 to avoid permits and a tax assessment.

Bianchigirll 07-23-19 05:48 PM

very posh laboratory

https://i.imgur.com/y010cqr.gif?noredirect

sloar 07-23-19 05:51 PM

I'm way out in the boonies, and its at the back of my lot. It cant be seen from the road, so no permit necessary. Same goes for worrying about hinges on the outside.

thinktubes 07-23-19 06:04 PM

Forget wrenching - get busy on your manifesto!

malcala622 07-23-19 06:28 PM

You need a moat to keep out the unwanted.

noglider 07-23-19 07:15 PM

You say you are not a construction person, but that's a lie. ;)

jackbombay 07-23-19 07:20 PM

Good spot for wrenching, it looks great!

qcpmsame 07-23-19 08:18 PM

Looks great to me, its what I do for a living, and yours is better than most I've had to inspect. You got the FDC properly signed and cleared for access so the FSS can be charged by the pumper when its needed?

Semper Fi,
Bill

sloar 07-23-19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 21041899)
Looks great to me, its what I do for a living, and yours is better than most I've had to inspect. You got the FDC properly signed and cleared for access so the FSS can be charged by the pumper when its needed?

Semper Fi,
Bill

What?

SurferRosa 07-23-19 10:18 PM

qcpmsame 07-24-19 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by sloar (Post 21041915)
What?

Sorry, fire suppression system speak. Had to have too many of those certified over the years on our projects. I take it you'll have no foam cannons or IR fire sensors inside the shop then.

curbtender 07-24-19 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 21042266)
Sorry, fire suppression system speak. Had to have too many of those certified over the years on our projects. I take it you'll have no foam cannons or IR fire sensors inside the shop then.

That would drive up the price of a backyard shed a bit. Wouldn't that be more of a commercial application? I have a hard enough time keeping my fire extinguisher up to date, lol.

John E 07-24-19 01:06 PM

Very nice! I just push the cars back and use the garage, which means cleaning up at night so that I can push them forward enough to close the garage door.

I added a second two-car garage when our second son came along and we were outgrowing our 1400 sq ft house. I walled off the front of the original garage, which became a family/teen/bonus room while the boys were growing up, but now it's my wife's art studio. I have a 4x7 "yardsaver" shed from Cedarshed, which is OK for storage, but not for active work.

ryansu 07-24-19 04:22 PM

Nicely done sir I would have probably wimped out and gone to Home Depot or Lowes and got a kit or ready built one delivered -but it can be dangerous to put a hammer in my hand :D

qcpmsame 07-24-19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 21042486)
That would drive up the price of a backyard shed a bit. Wouldn't that be more of a commercial application? I have a hard enough time keeping my fire extinguisher up to date, lol.

Foam cannons/deluge guns, mostly military application to the best of my knowledge, it probably costs more than all of our salaries combined from what I can recall when we installed an AFFF (aqueous filming firefighting foam) system in a Navy AIMD hangar. Darned things would trigger from the light changes as people walked past their light sensors during night ops for the air wing (the sensors interpreted the signal as a flickering flame, rearmed them and solved that one.) Fortunately they were not connected to either the water of the AFFF tank system prior to being tested and accepted. Unnerving to walk past them and see them oscillating back and forth and the strobes flashing until we secured them. Now AFFF is going to be completely outlawed, it looks like. Possible carcinogen and deadly to aquatic biota when it gets in to the water table. I was the site engineers for the entire project on the contractor side

Back to @sloar's thread, sorry 'bout that.

Bill

RobbieTunes 07-26-19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by sloar (Post 21041736)
I'm way out in the boonies, and its at the back of my lot. It cant be seen from the road, so no permit necessary. Same goes for worrying about hinges on the outside.

Besides, I'm still sure you remember "B R A S S"

RobbieTunes 07-26-19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ryansu (Post 21043171)
Nicely done sir I would have probably wimped out and gone to Home Depot or Lowes and got a kit or ready built one delivered -but it can be dangerous to put a hammer in my hand :D

I built one of those cute little barns from a kit. Not a good thing. I did it for a friend. Then ran.