Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Best Hardtail for Under 500 bucks? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1182797)

7tevoffun 09-30-19 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jrhoneOC (Post 21143834)
You sure that the wheel is completely seated in the fork? I would think a bend would be obvious on the test ride....

I absolutely think you'd be right. The only thing I was thinking is that when the guy was removing the front wheel he might have somehow bent the rim?

chiefsilverback 09-30-19 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 7tevoffun (Post 21137486)
I searched exhaustively to find exactly what you were mentioning, however I had no luck. :(

That's a bummer, I guess it's the luck of where you live! I've got a couple of places here in New England that sell off their rental fleets each year. When it comes time to buy a new bike I'll definitely be considering them.

Enjoy your new bike, as I said before the best bike is the bike you've got!

jrhoneOC 09-30-19 08:59 AM

Please describe EXACTLY what's happening. If you are standing over the bike and looking down on the front wheel. Lift it off the ground slightly and roll it in the air. Is the wheel straight then takes a drastic turn at one spot? Or is it straight but rubbing on something? Or is it rolling straight yet there is resistance somewhere?

Cant easily bend a wheel when removing it. Wheels are not that fragile.

7tevoffun 09-30-19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jrhoneOC (Post 21144216)
Please describe EXACTLY what's happening. If you are standing over the bike and looking down on the front wheel. Lift it off the ground slightly and roll it in the air. Is the wheel straight then takes a drastic turn at one spot? Or is it straight but rubbing on something? Or is it rolling straight yet there is resistance somewhere?

Cant easily bend a wheel when removing it. Wheels are not that fragile.

I took it in to the local trek shop and they said it was indeed bent. They trued it and I reinstalled it tonight but sadly the brake still rubs, so I am taking it in this weekend to see if the rotor is warped and hopefully have it fixed.

Also, I cannot lock up the wheels when depressing the levers fully. I thought that given the stopping power of hydraulic brakes I should be able to lock them up. I know that's not what I should be doing but I wanted to check the stopping power.

Should the brakes be able to lock up the wheels when riding?

jrhoneOC 09-30-19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 7tevoffun (Post 21145054)
I took it in to the local trek shop and they said it was indeed bent. They trued it and I reinstalled it tonight but sadly the brake still rubs, so I am taking it in this weekend to see if the rotor is warped and hopefully have it fixed.

Also, I cannot lock up the wheels when depressing the levers fully. I thought that given the stopping power of hydraulic brakes I should be able to lock them up. I know that's not what I should be doing but I wanted to check the stopping power.

Should the brakes be able to lock up the wheels when riding?

When I first removed the front wheel and reinstalled, my brakes rubbed. Wheel is perfectly straight. I realized I tightened one side more than the other on the QR bolts...now I loosen it and then hold that side so it doesn't turn, then loosen the opposite side while holding the quick release handle. Then when I reinstall, I do the same by holding the quick release handle, then tightening the opposite side until the quick release handle can be tightened moving the arm. This keeps the wheel centered perfectly and keeps the brakes from rubbing.

And yes, my brakes can easily lock up. Front and Rear. That could be a lever adjustment or a bleeding. Did the shop tune it and fit it to you before you took it? Where I bought mine they adjusted brakes, shifters, tire pressure and did a pretty thorough fitting before I took the bike.

7tevoffun 10-01-19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by jrhoneOC (Post 21145115)
When I first removed the front wheel and reinstalled, my brakes rubbed. Wheel is perfectly straight. I realized I tightened one side more than the other on the QR bolts...now I loosen it and then hold that side so it doesn't turn, then loosen the opposite side while holding the quick release handle. Then when I reinstall, I do the same by holding the quick release handle, then tightening the opposite side until the quick release handle can be tightened moving the arm. This keeps the wheel centered perfectly and keeps the brakes from rubbing.

And yes, my brakes can easily lock up. Front and Rear. That could be a lever adjustment or a bleeding. Did the shop tune it and fit it to you before you took it? Where I bought mine they adjusted brakes, shifters, tire pressure and did a pretty thorough fitting before I took the bike.

I rode the bike before taking it home, but I had no idea how the brakes should feel because it's the first time I had disc brakes on a bike.

Jeff of Vt 10-05-19 08:32 PM

Yes. You should be able to easily lock the brakes. I see that the Trek Marlin 6 has hydraulic brakes. I'm not familiar with hydraulics on bicycles other than knowing they're more finnicky than their motorcycle counterparts. I'd still be surprised if the pistons/pads could not be easily adjusted like they can on mechanicals. If the problem is that the system is airlocked, they'll need to be bled.

This is going to sound harsh on the shop but there's no reason a brand new bike, regardless of price, should roll out the door with brakes that far out of adjustment and a wheel noticeably out of true. I'd take it to a service-oriented shop(in my experience that unfortunately excludes most larger overhead factory authorized dealers). There's likely a lot of other steps in assembly they scrimped on. I've been through that once before and learned my lesson.

jrhoneOC 10-05-19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff of Vt (Post 21151647)
Yes. You should be able to easily lock the brakes. I see that the Trek Marlin 6 has hydraulic brakes. I'm not familiar with hydraulics on bicycles other than knowing they're more finnicky than their motorcycle counterparts. I'd still be surprised if the pistons/pads could not be easily adjusted like they can on mechanicals. If the problem is that the system is airlocked, they'll need to be bled.

This is going to sound harsh on the shop but there's no reason a brand new bike, regardless of price, should roll out the door with brakes that far out of adjustment and a wheel noticeably out of true. I'd take it to a service-oriented shop(in my experience that unfortunately excludes most larger overhead factory authorized dealers). There's likely a lot of other steps in assembly they scrimped on. I've been through that once before and learned my lesson.

Agreed. Thats also why i asked about fitting.

fly135 10-06-19 08:10 AM

If the brake is rubbing continuous vs on/off in a single rotation, then you should be able to fix it. Although a new bike should be probably checked by the shop. If the brake rubs then loosen the caliper, hold the lever to lock the brake, then retighten the caliper. That action will recenter the caliper on the disk.