Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Flipped for big $$$? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178784)

Jp42 07-19-19 11:15 AM

Flipped for big $$$?
 
Have you ever sold a bike only to see it posted for big $ a little while later?

I sold this Ritchey a few months back for $250.

Now it's on an online auction site for $1100. I doubt the seller will see that price, but it kinda hurts anyway - especially because he did absolutely nothing to the bike!

Has this ever happened to you?

First photos are when I had it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...464d4bfc8a.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d499dd6d42.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7816a5c25b.png

trailangel 07-19-19 11:27 AM

$1100?......:lol:

Jp42 07-19-19 11:33 AM


Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 21035074)
$1100?......:lol:

I could see $500 if you wait for the right buyer, but honestly the bike is in pretty rough shape, the wheels and rear derailleur are worn out and a bunch of other stuff. That's why I sold it on CL - so the buyer could see exactly what they were getting.

Mitkraft 07-19-19 11:33 AM

No reason for it to hurt if it hasn't sold. People put stuff on eBay for stupid prices all day every day. Remember "Askin ain't gettin!"

Jp42 07-19-19 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by Mitkraft (Post 21035085)
No reason for it to hurt if it hasn't sold. People put stuff on eBay for stupid prices all day every day. Remember "Askin ain't gettin!"

Fair enough, and I've flipped a few bikes in my time too. At least I put some parts and tires on it, tuned it up a bit though.

SurferRosa 07-19-19 11:45 AM


Has this ever happened to you?
"Nevah!"

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...uke-martin.jpg

rccardr 07-19-19 11:49 AM

Yes.

Sold a Tommasini Velocista (MAX tubing, limited edition, very rare, perfect condition) with full DA 7402/3 on eBay several years ago and the buyer immediately stripped it to the bare frame and listed it for as much or more than he bought it for.

Needless to say, lingered for a long time...

bikemig 07-19-19 11:59 AM

Not my bike but a vintage Cannondale mountain bike sold for $75 and is now listed at $225. I see stuff like that all the time. There are pickers on CL who try to sell stuff at stupid prices.

Jp42 07-19-19 12:05 PM

Thanks all for the replies, I guess it was just a rant that didn't need its own thread. I do have it on my watch list though, have to wait to see if it sells.

CliffordK 07-19-19 12:23 PM

There are certain very early MTBs that may get a special following and sell for far more than one might expect.

But, I have to agree.. that $1100 seems a bit high.

I have seen a few flippers on Craigslist. There was a very rough Peugeot PX10 on Craiglist for $75... try as I might, the seller was very bad at communicating. Never giving a phone number. Saying things like "Let's Meet", but never specifying where.

Anyway, a few days later, the bike popped up for sale for $300, I think. It still might have been an ok deal, but the bike was very rough, and I was offended by the whole process.

There probably have been a few bikes that I could have flipped with minimal effort... if I wanted to.

Drillium Dude 07-19-19 12:24 PM

I sold this a few years ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/303310...h/20796196330/

The buyer claimed he wanted a vintage bike that he could ride around Seattle's bike trails. Found out a couple days later he'd stripped it completely and was selling it piece by piece on Ebay. Note the way all the components were detailed to match the frame color. This was a solid whole which this azz turned into an orphan IMHO. Oh, well. I didn't ride it a whole lot anyway (it was a bit of a wet noodle at the BB), and he only made a couple hundred over what I got from him. C'est la vie.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ba5755132.jpg

An interesting postscript to this story: not a year later I visited the Seattle Bike Swap at the Convention Center with the intention of selling the Sparrow. I was waiting in line to register it for the For Sale bike corral. The very same dude came up and asked how much I was asking for it; when I realized who it was I told him I wouldn't sell to him regardless of price because I didn't want to see another of my carefully-built bikes parted out for profit. He walked away without saying a word.

DD

CV-6 07-19-19 12:32 PM

Allow me to relate what I think is kind of an interesting story.

I bought a 3Rensho with 1st Gen C-Record at a good price, then sold it to a rather well known (in some circles) eccentric collector. I got cash and a large collection of Campagnolo components. About a year later, he emailed me asking if I wanted to buy it back at a really fair price. Had it been my preferred size, I would have done so, but I passed. A few weeks later, it was on eBay for $2500. I got a laugh out of it as he said it had been professionally prepared. He had not done a thing to it, I could see where I had botched the bar wrap. Anyway it disappeared. Several months later, I got a note from a BF member saying he had my old 3Rensho frame. I figure someone bought the bike for the C-Record and flipped the frame.

wrk101 07-19-19 12:41 PM

I sold a low end Asian Bianchi for $50. Guy who bought it drove 2 hours one way to get it. A week later I saw it on his C/L for $500. Then on eBay for $500.

it slowly dropped in price but at around $200 it disappeared so I think he sold it.

I buy and sell a lot of stuff, not just bikes. No doubt people have bought from me and then flipped the item for more money. Sold two sets of pedals on eBay recently to the same buyer, used but in great shape. Buyer has been selling NOS versions of the same pedals for 5X. I’m kind of waiting for the ones I sold to reappear as NOS. So be it. I sold them for what I paid for the entire bike. So I am good. If he makes a lot more food for him.

malcala622 07-19-19 12:42 PM

The tall Colnago that was on goodwill auction sold for $250 or so.,,its on offerup for triple now,...its still droppng in price

jamesdak 07-19-19 12:56 PM

Never happened to me and I don't think I'd worry about it if it did. I sell them for what I'm comfortable with so if someone them makes more off of it later I really don't care. Life's to short to sweat the small stuff...

SurferRosa 07-19-19 12:59 PM

I've only parted out one bike with both the intention of making some cash and being able to clean up and polish some vintage Campy bits I find therapeutic. It was a very tall '70s Lygie with nearly full Campagnolo. The paint was pretty bad, so I parted it out. I netted about $400 -- all on craigs -- after I spent hours and hours on it.

It feels a lot more rewarding when I can keep an original bike together. But if I can't make the numbers work, at least (in this case, anyway) everything went to its "highest value of use" ... as they taught us in Econ 101.

Vonruden 07-19-19 01:12 PM

I only get mad if they ask to return it after listing on ebay for a month...happened once.

ldmataya 07-19-19 01:15 PM

Once you've sold something, I don't believe it is yours anymore - is it? Lets say for the sake of argument that the OPs Ritchey really is worth $1,500 to some collector because it is serial #1 . If the purchaser figures that out because a) you don't know, b) you don't have the time or energy to clean it up and describe it as such, or c) the purchaser has access to buyers you don't who expect him to find valuable things; then is any of the profit owed to you? I know where I stand on that argument.

This is why we have markets. And freedom. Be happy we don't live in a country where you have to acquire permission to sell things, or pay bribes to locals to open a stand at a market.

delbiker1 07-19-19 01:44 PM

I see no reason for someone to be upset when something they sold is on the market again for a higher price. The item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Sellers remorse is just a resentment towards oneself.

Jp42 07-19-19 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by ldmataya (Post 21035257)
Once you've sold something, I don't believe it is yours anymore - is it? Lets say for the sake of argument that the OPs Ritchey really is worth $1,500 to some collector because it is serial #1 . If the purchaser figures that out because a) you don't know, b) you don't have the time or energy to clean it up and describe it as such, or c) the purchaser has access to buyers you don't who expect him to find valuable things; then is any of the profit owed to you? I know where I stand on that argument.

This is why we have markets. And freedom. Be happy we don't live in a country where you have to acquire permission to sell things, or pay bribes to locals to open a stand at a market.

A. My original photo shows the serial number, I knew what it was.
B. I did all the clean up and work to it, the current owner did nothing.
C. I also have access to ebay, where you need to pay bribes, er fees to sell something.

No seller's remorse here, and yes he can ask whatever he wants for it. I never asked for a share of the profit (if he makes any).

Just wondered who else has run into this situation before.

tricky 07-19-19 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by Vonruden (Post 21035252)
I only get mad if they ask to return it after listing on ebay for a month...happened once.

Oh wow. The balls on that guy (or woman.)

iab 07-19-19 02:15 PM

Isn't there a thread or two on flipping bikes? I'd;d say most C&Vers have flipped a bike or two.

Just sayin.

Jp42 07-19-19 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by Vonruden (Post 21035252)
I only get mad if they ask to return it after listing on ebay for a month...happened once.

That is crazy. Did you take it back?

Jp42 07-19-19 02:23 PM


Originally Posted by iab (Post 21035369)
Isn't there a thread or two on flipping bikes? I'd;d say most C&Vers have flipped a bike or two.

Just sayin.

I have done so myself. I usually put time and money (parts) into them. I even made a little on this particular bike. Somewhere way back in the catch of the day thread you will see this very machine and it's backstory.

Not debating that it's his property and he can do what he wants with it.

Jp42 07-19-19 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 21035163)
I sold this a few years ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/303310...h/20796196330/

The buyer claimed he wanted a vintage bike that he could ride around Seattle's bike trails. Found out a couple days later he'd stripped it completely and was selling it piece by piece on Ebay. Note the way all the components were detailed to match the frame color. This was a solid whole which this azz turned into an orphan IMHO. Oh, well. I didn't ride it a whole lot anyway (it was a bit of a wet noodle at the BB), and he only made a couple hundred over what I got from him. C'est la vie.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ba5755132.jpg

An interesting postscript to this story: not a year later I visited the Seattle Bike Swap at the Convention Center with the intention of selling the Sparrow. I was waiting in line to register it for the For Sale bike corral. The very same dude came up and asked how much I was asking for it; when I realized who it was I told him I wouldn't sell to him regardless of price because I didn't want to see another of my carefully-built bikes parted out for profit. He walked away without saying a word.

DD

I guess this is why I said it hurt a little, the buyer told me he was so excited to get it, was gonna take great care of it, the jewel in his collection, etc.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.