Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Packed up for a Flight (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181069)

SCTinkering 08-13-19 08:27 PM

Packed up for a Flight
 
My Ti is now packed up and ready for a flight. I added some cardboard tubes to hopefully establish some boundaries/buffer zones around my bars and rear derailleur.

This is an Evoc Bike Travel Bag with stand.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6098820174.jpg

Airborne Valkyrie in an Evoc Bike Travel Bag. (yes i fixed the top cardboard tube post photo)

randallr 08-13-19 08:37 PM

Question: Do you have spacers in your dropouts and forks to prevent any crushing from side loading?

atwl77 08-13-19 08:38 PM

Nice. Good idea on that cardboard tubing there.

I'm also packed up, my bike in a hard case (Topeak Pakgo X), flying to France later today.

indyfabz 08-14-19 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by randallr (Post 21074467)
Question: Do you have spacers in your dropouts and forks to prevent any crushing from side loading?

The stand has front and rear spacers built in:

https://www.evocsports.com/products/...luminium-stand

metalheart44 08-16-19 08:07 AM

If the spacers were not built in is there any reason not to use the skewers as spacers?

indyfabz 08-16-19 08:24 AM

Skewers stick out a bit further and thus take up depth if your fork sits straight in the box. Also, they could, in theory, get bent if things were to come lose and the frame were to move around.

This what my bike looked like when it arrived after being shipped back from my last tour. Took out the rear spacer before I took the photo. The pedals and skewers are in the little box.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b8a06b7304.jpg

SCTinkering 08-18-19 03:17 PM

I used the cardboard tube to augment the spacers on the stand. Derailleur hanger is one of those areas I don't think anyone will give you grief on a bit of extra paranoia.

I could tell it was laid on its side at least once, but I did open it up and inspect it before I left the airport. It had the standard "TSA looked at this" notice, but everything was exactly where I put it when I packed it. Or rather when I over packed it.

teejaywhy 08-20-19 04:46 PM


Originally Posted by SCTinkering (Post 21074455)
My Ti is now packed up and ready for a flight. ...

Where ya goin'??

Last ride 76 08-20-19 04:49 PM


Originally Posted by teejaywhy (Post 21084609)
Where ya goin'??

Sheesh, I thought nobody was gonna ask.:D

bakerjw 08-20-19 07:16 PM

In a few days, we're packing our mountain tandem for a 1 way trip to Calgary.
One box for the wheels, seats, handlebars, and a few other items.
One box for the frame (S&S couplers) and whatever else there is.
I'll post pics when we get to that point.

SCTinkering 08-20-19 08:22 PM


Originally Posted by teejaywhy (Post 21084609)
Where ya goin'??

The cycling non-meca of south eastern Minnesota. My folks live out there and my dad still loves to bike. he had breathing issues last year and has swapped to an eBike, but he still loves to ride.

Bike arrived just fine. I'm at the folks for another week and have another 4 rides planned out before I have to pack it back up for the return to California.

Much different riding out in Minnesota farm country. We can get some really good distances with very little traffic (we're well between planing and harvest) on paved county roads. This area makes me think that it's very possible to ride with a 12-25 or 14-28 cassette and not worry about running out of gears. That's not the case with the Mid-Peninsula area of SF Bay. if I turn and start climbing the Santa Cruz Mountains, 25 or 28 doesn't cut it.

SCTinkering 08-20-19 08:24 PM


Originally Posted by metalheart44 (Post 21078121)
If the spacers were not built in is there any reason not to use the skewers as spacers?

I put the skewers ON the spacers to hold the frame/fork on the stand. It's another reason I used the cardboard tubes as buffers.

Last ride 76 08-20-19 10:19 PM


Originally Posted by SCTinkering (Post 21084890)
The cycling non-meca of south eastern Minnesota. My folks live out there and my dad still loves to bike. he had breathing issues last year and has swapped to an eBike, but he still loves to ride.

Bike arrived just fine. I'm at the folks for another week and have another 4 rides planned out before I have to pack it back up for the return to California.

Much different riding out in Minnesota farm country. We can get some really good distances with very little traffic (we're well between planing and harvest) on paved county roads. This area makes me think that it's very possible to ride with a 12-25 or 14-28 cassette and not worry about running out of gears. That's not the case with the Mid-Peninsula area of SF Bay. if I turn and start climbing the Santa Cruz Mountains, 25 or 28 doesn't cut it.

:thumb:Family... best reason in the world. and as a guy used to ride farmland roads, I miss it. Ocean vistas are cool, but so is countryside, tractor tread divots of manure and all.

metalheart44 08-21-19 03:16 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...502f33246a.jpg
I'm just about packed and ready to ship via BikeFlights to Minneapolis where we are visiting a friend for a couple of days before heading off to northern Wisconsin for some family visits. I plan to ride a couple days in Minneapolis and a few days in Wisconsin. It will be different than where I ride at home -- northern California. I borrowed a friend's well-used Trico Iron Case and it is relatively easy to pack, just remove the bars, take out the seat post, loosen the stem, take off the rear derailleur. Then wheels go on top of a piece of foam that covers what you see in the image below, and then the top of the case goes on last. I had to improvise spacers for the fork and rear dropouts using my skewers and some extra parts from my work stand, but it works fine. None of the local bike stores had any spare spacers to hand out or purchase. For the next trip I plan to get an Orucase or Post Transfer Case and fly with the bike. For this trip, it was just more economical to ship the bike both ways....

seedsbelize 08-21-19 07:58 PM

Just my 2 cents. I always remove the rd when traveling.
Have a great trip.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.