Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New glasses suggestions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174777)

darktardis 06-04-19 11:05 AM

New glasses suggestions

Hey, So yesterday I went and did something stupid and lost my glasses. I am looking for a new pair and was looking for some recommendations. I like the look of the RUDY 's but those are way to expensive. I had a pair of Tifosi Tyrants and was considering getting another pair of those once I get my next paycheck. but wanted to see what else was good.

Flip Flop Rider 06-04-19 12:42 PM

tac glasses

BlazingPedals 06-04-19 08:09 PM

I always lose them before I break them or scratch them beyond usefulness, so I don't like to pay a lot. Here is a moderately-priced line of sunglasses. Take your pick of styles.
https://www.styleeyes.com/category_s/55.htm
I found them at MC Sporting Goods, but it looks like you can order online too.

ramzilla 06-04-19 08:23 PM

Uvex

DropBarFan 06-04-19 10:05 PM

I had a couple of pairs of Tifosi Vogels. Good price, no top bar to block vision, fit nice & close. OTOH both broke after a couple of years. Now using Oakley Flight Jacket that are pretty awesome, no top bar, wide coverage & don't bump into helmet. Temple ends don't bump into lenses when folded. $223 bucks unfortunately. Once used super-cheap wide-coverage safety-glasses like the old folks wear after eye surgery, they worked great.

Teamprovicycle 06-04-19 10:21 PM

the oakleys have come way down in price for authentic or like 16 bucks for the knock offs , i got a pair of wal mart safety glasses for 2 bucks i use on rainy days , but they do slip a bit , its hard to find a pair of glasses that are not ridiculously priced for something so easily broken of lost , i like the jawbreakers from Oakley at under 150 , at least you can know you are getting a safe tested lens ..

dmanthree 06-05-19 06:39 AM

Prescription or not? I bought a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket 2.0 with prescription lenses from sportrx.com, and they're excellent. Varifocal and transition, as well.

burnthesheep 06-05-19 06:41 AM

Don't buy Brikos. I got a pair on sale at Planet X and the nose piece clip broke in a couple months. Poor design.

mstateglfr 06-05-19 08:45 AM

Ive had the same glasses for 6 years now and havent been able to get rid of them thru misplacing or breaking. They were $20 at Bass Pro and fit perfectly.
But I wanted some Fototec glasses since I ride a lot in dim light and hate having dark glasses in dim light. I bought some Tifosi Crit glasses a couple weeks ago and love em. Even at their darkest they arent as dark as regular style sunglasses, but they are excellent in full sun or in shade.
$60 from REI during a sale.

Sunglasses, to me, are like saddles- hundreds of options and all are different in shape and look. What fits one person is hell on another.

fietsbob 06-05-19 10:36 AM

LBS sells Tifosi brand.. you want cheap or prestige brands?

darktardis 06-06-19 11:16 AM

I used to have the tifosi tyrants, looking around I think I'm going to get another pair.

DropBarFan 06-06-19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20963282)
Ive had the same glasses for 6 years now and havent been able to get rid of them thru misplacing or breaking. They were $20 at Bass Pro and fit perfectly.
But I wanted some Fototec glasses since I ride a lot in dim light and hate having dark glasses in dim light. I bought some Tifosi Crit glasses a couple weeks ago and love em. Even at their darkest they arent as dark as regular style sunglasses, but they are excellent in full sun or in shade.
$60 from REI during a sale.

Sunglasses, to me, are like saddles- hundreds of options and all are different in shape and look. What fits one person is hell on another.

Yeah, I don't think the extra-dark glasses are very necessary, maybe out West they can help. Also helps I think to have a separate clear pair for twilight when there can be lots of bugs. My main peeve about most (cheap or $$) glasses is they don't give max coverage (old Oakley Pilots kick-started the whole bike glasses thing & had excellent coverage). Last year I did a spring ride & so much grainy pollen swept past the Tifosi Vogels it was quite painful. BTW I read pollen is a big problem in Paris-Roubaix in non-rainy runnings (recent years have been mostly dry).

Canker 06-06-19 10:32 PM

Tifosi Podium XC are worth looking at. Picked up a pair for $36 last year on a deal and have been really happy with them. No frames and good coverage.

MikeyMK 06-07-19 05:46 AM

I have deuteranopia colourblindness, the more aggressive red/green type, and can't see red at all well. Red's a pretty important colour, not to mention pretty to look at, so i've always gone for bronze lenses which bring out reds (These also tend to make other colours look better too).

My current pair have got to be the best i've ever had for this. They're not too dark, in fact everything looks as light, with colours brighter. More bronze-orange than bronze brown. Yet they're mirrored, and they're also polarised.

The frames are actually really good looking, and they don't look cheap, but they were; 15 quid from Halfords (auto accessory and bike store in the UK), branded as Foster Grant.

Sy Reene 06-07-19 02:13 PM

I really like the Smith Attacks.. FWIW heavy discounts at steepncheap

https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...F0MTMxMTAwMDcz

caloso 06-07-19 02:16 PM

Another vote for Smith.

fietsbob 06-07-19 03:44 PM

get the ones without hinges , I'm always losing the screws out of my bifocals ..

DropBarFan 06-07-19 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 20967657)
I really like the Smith Attacks.. FWIW heavy discounts at steepncheap

https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...F0MTMxMTAwMDcz

Those look nice. I got the Smith entry-level ski goggles & they worked well.

starchase 06-08-19 12:30 PM

For years I've been using the safety glasses I got from Gulfstream Aerospace, shaded and clear.

But my favorite all time was the free glasses from coupons from Post Raisin Bran cereal because they had a mirror function in the inside upper corner so I didn't have to hang a mirror on the handlebars. But sadly I lost them. That was at least 25 years ago. I'd love to find sunglasses like these today but I'm sure no one makes 'em. I haven't tried the hanging mirror contraptions you can hang on the glasses itself.

DropBarFan 06-08-19 07:20 PM

I prefer a helmet-mount mirror: wider field plus sometimes one might not to wear glasses.

Nessism 06-08-19 07:48 PM

Tifosi are an excellent value. I've been using the Jet model for several years now and (super durable) recently got the newer Jet wrap version as a backup.