Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Roval clx, worth the money over Cl? And Reynolds Aero question... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1189111)

Lrdchaos 11-27-19 02:59 PM

Roval clx, worth the money over Cl? And Reynolds Aero question...

I’ve been looking for a deeper wheel for my 2018 TCR disc and I’ve narrowed it down to either Roval or Reynolds. My question on the Roval wheelset is, for a rider that doesn’t race but wants a solid all around set is there a huge benefit on the clx over the cl?

Also, has anyone run the newer Reynolds blacklabel 46 aero wheels? If so, how do they compare to the Roval’s?

rubiksoval 11-27-19 05:39 PM

No. Definitely not worth it.

Wheels are one of those places where you can spend a little money to get the low hanging fruit, and then spend a helluva lot more money for extremely minimal additional gains.

People tend to very easily forget that tubes/tires make a much bigger difference in performance than wheels.

A good pair of tubes/tires and low profile al wheels will be faster than a $3k pair of deep aero wheels with awful tires.

Physics is more important than marketing when it comes to real-world performance.

Lrdchaos 11-27-19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21225901)
No. Definitely not worth it.

Wheels are one of those places where you can spend a little money to get the low hanging fruit, and then spend a helluva lot more money for extremely minimal additional gains.

People tend to very easily forget that tubes/tires make a much bigger difference in performance than wheels.

A good pair of tubes/tires and low profile al wheels will be faster than a $3k pair of deep aero wheels with awful tires.

Physics is more important than marketing when it comes to real-world performance.

I hear ya. I’m trying to decide if I even need new wheels, well I know I don’t need but I want. I currently run Giant slr 1 30mm carbon wheels with Schwalbe pro ones setup tubeless. They run and ride great, just looking for a little change.

melikebikey35 11-27-19 08:36 PM

I'll start off by saying that I have a set of the CLX 50's are think that they are phenomenal. As in, I can't imagine a wheel can better than this, phenomenal. But, as to weather or not they are worth the additional cost compared to the CL...I think rubiksoval said it the best; it's a lot of money for minimal gains. I got a really good deal on the CLX's, so that's why I went with them.

Now, when comparing them and the Reynolds to your current SLR 1's, I think that it comes down to your riding style. If you do a fair amount of climbing, then you're probably be better off saving your money and sticking with the SLR's. The lighter weight is a big plus.
If you like to smash it on the flats, then go deeper. The extra weight won't matter much.

The SLR's are a solid wheel, so I don't think you'll gain anything in the stiffness/responsiveness departments by switching.

Lrdchaos 11-30-19 09:28 PM

Well I couldn’t resist...stopped by my specialized store today and they had 25% off specialized products. So I picked up a set a cl50 wheels to try out. Probably a waste of cash, but I figured I work to enjoy my hobbies!

guadzilla 12-01-19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lrdchaos (Post 21228686)
Well I couldn’t resist...stopped by my specialized store today and they had 25% off specialized products. So I picked up a set a cl50 wheels to try out. Probably a waste of cash, but I figured I work to enjoy my hobbies!

CL50s are probably the best value Spesh wheels. Only a 100gm heavier than the CLX50s, but they use the same rim as the CLX50s and are a lot cheaper. Good choice!