Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New Bike Requirement (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1192594)

tarsi 01-24-20 08:16 PM

New Bike Requirement

After selling 1 of my 2 road bikes I've decided it's time to start looking for an "All Around'er". Even though I will continue riding primarily on the road, I'm looking for something fully capable on gravel as well. Along with the tire clearance, endurance geometry and all of the other modern gravel bike characteristics the one thing I've decided I must have is a gravel groupset (ie. Shimano GRX). Sorry, not ready to go SRAM yet. Having said that, the first 2 bikes on my list, the Checkpoint and the Topstone are only available in road groupsets (ie. 105 and Ultegra). Thankfully, the Stigmata is offered in a GRX build otherwise my first three would be off the list already. My question is, what other high end (carbon) gravel bikes are available off the shelf in a GRX build? I know I can always buy a frame only and build however I want but that would be a last option if nothing was available "Ready to ride."

tangerineowl 01-25-20 12:43 AM

Ibis Haka MX.

Cervelo Aspero.

3T Exploro.

srode1 01-25-20 07:29 AM

Niner RLT 9 RDO

melikebikey35 01-25-20 12:27 PM

Orbea Terra M20 (GRX 800) or M30 (GRX 600).
There's a lengthy wait for the M20 though. Which is why I bought one with 105 and converted it myself.

Sy Reene 01-25-20 07:00 PM

1x or 2x in the front?

Steve B. 01-25-20 08:12 PM

Note that the Topstone carbon uses a different style rear hub and wheel dish. If you change/add wheels you’d need a shop to re-dish the wheels to work.

tarsi 01-25-20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 21299803)
Note that the Topstone carbon uses a different style rear hub and wheel dish. If you change/add wheels you’d need a shop to re-dish the wheels to work.

Correct.

Coincidently I test road the carbon Topstone today. It is very nice but unfortunately not available in a GRX build nor as a frame only:(

I stopped by 4 different bike shops today all of which stocked different brands of bikes and not one of them had a complete GRX bike for sale. The closest I came was one shop was building a custom bike for a client with GRX800 groupo.

Might just be too early to the party or ???

tarsi 01-25-20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21299726)
1x or 2x in the front?

2x

melikebikey35 01-25-20 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21299823)
Correct.

Coincidently I test road the carbon Topstone today. It is very nice but unfortunately not available in a GRX build nor as a frame only:(

I stopped by 4 different bike shops today all of which stocked different brands of bikes and not one of them had a complete GRX bike for sale. The closest I came was one shop was building a custom bike for a client with GRX800 groupo.

I do think that this is the case. Since it's such a new groupset, I think (most) bike brands simply were not able to get it on their latest releases, this year. I have a feeling it will be a lot more common come 2021.

But, when it comes to the GRX 800 groupset, I do think it's it a set up from Ultegra mechanical and is worth hunting down a bike with it. Or building one yourself.

srode1 01-26-20 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21299823)
Correct.

I would guess the big high volume brands didn't go with GRX this year due to availability. The smaller brands like Cervelo could get enough to meet their production needs.

fuel0707 01-26-20 09:22 AM

Perhaps you'll be looking at a custom build, Tarsi.

Another option might be to budget for a new bike and also a GRX groupset ,from the same shop/dealer. They might be willing to work a deal on the price of the GRX groupset given that you'd be buying a bike from them.

tarsi 01-26-20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by fuel0707 (Post 21300187)
Perhaps you'll be looking at a custom build, Tarsi.

Another option might be to budget for a new bike and also a GRX groupset ,from the same shop/dealer. They might be willing to work a deal on the price of the GRX groupset given that you'd be buying a bike from them.

A Custom build is starting to look like the best option. The Open U.P. was originally taken off of my list due to being available only as a frame set but comparing now to the cost of buying a complete bike plus a group set and possibly a replacement Wheelset it starts to make more and more sense. Also, every review I read about the Open just pushes further and further in that direction. Am I missing something?

fuel0707 01-26-20 11:45 AM

Actually, I just stumbled across an article on a different forum that Salsa is offering three models of the 2020 Warbird with various levels of the GRX groupset. Maybe that's another bike to consider in your search.

tarsi 01-26-20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by fuel0707 (Post 21300349)
Actually, I just stumbled across an article on a different forum that Salsa is offering three models of the 2020 Warbird with various levels of the GRX groupset. Maybe that's another bike to consider in your search.

Thanks but I think the Warroad would be closer to what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, that one doesn't come in a GRX build. For a custom build still leaning towards the OPEN.

Sy Reene 01-26-20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21299827)
2x

then I'd +1 the prior mention of the Cervelo Aspero

tarsi 01-26-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21300485)
then I'd +1 the prior mention of the Cervelo Aspero

Thanks. Bike looks super nice but unfortunately a bit too race oriented for me.

DorkDisk 01-26-20 02:19 PM

Many dropped chainstay bikes, like the Ibis Hakka, will not clear a small chainring than 34t on a double

tarsi 01-26-20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by DorkDisk (Post 21300553)
Many dropped chainstay bikes, like the Ibis Hakka, will not clear a small chainring than 34t on a double

ah, so this might explain the lack of offerings and the odd mixed GRX builds with 3rd party cranks.

My intention is to start with an Ultegra 50/34 but have the flexibility to switch to the GRX 48/31 if needed. Can anybody confirm that the 31 will work on the OPEN U.P.? The website just states "All road cranks" for Shimano compatibility.

tarsi 01-27-20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21300593)
Can anybody confirm that the 31 will work on the OPEN U.P.? The website just states "All road cranks" for Shimano compatibility.

Just double checked website and found info below. Guess that means both 48/31 and 46/30 cranks should work.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...74934dbe03.jpg

melikebikey35 01-27-20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21300593)
ah, so this might explain the lack of offerings and the odd mixed GRX builds with 3rd party cranks.

My intention is to start with an Ultegra 50/34 but have the flexibility to switch to the GRX 48/31 if needed. Can anybody confirm that the 31 will work on the OPEN U.P.? The website just states "All road cranks" for Shimano compatibility.

Just keep in mind, you'll also have to replace the front derailleur if you decide to switch over to the GRX crank, due to the GRX chain-line being push outward 2.5mm.
I was thinking of doing the same thing (start with an Ultegra compact), but I like the idea of being able to run an 11-30 (or 32) cassette on the back, instead of having to use an 11-34 (I really do not like large jumps between gears)

tarsi 01-27-20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by melikebikey35 (Post 21302378)
Just keep in mind, you'll also have to replace the front derailleur if you decide to switch over to the GRX crank...

The plan was to use a GRX front derailleur from the get go. I was told that it will work with the Ultegra compact road crank as well as the GRX. Is that not the case?

Steve B. 01-27-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21302411)
The plan was to use a GRX front derailleur from the get go. I was told that it will work with the Ultegra compact road crank as well as the GRX. Is that not the case?

Everything you’d want to know about Shimano compatibility

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...453&acid=C-455

melikebikey35 01-27-20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21302411)

I'm not sure...but I'd be hesitant to believe so. If the GRX crank doesn't work with an Ultegra FD, then I'd think the opposite would be true as well.

If you already have an Ultegra crank on hand, then I say give it a try. I'm sure with some fiddling/maxing limit screws you could get it to work (well enough, at least). But, personally, I wouldn't buy and Ultegra crank with the plan of running a GRX FD.

tarsi 01-27-20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by melikebikey35 (Post 21302470)
I'm not sure...but I'd be hesitant to believe so.

Ya, I was skeptical too but Andy from Glory Cycles claims they do it all the time and it works fine. I guess I can always give it a shot and if it doesn't work then pickup an Ultegra FD.

melikebikey35 01-27-20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tarsi (Post 21302507)
Ya, I was skeptical too but Andy from Glory Cycles claims they do it all the time and it works fine. I guess I can always give it a shot and if it doesn't work then pickup an Ultegra FD.

Glory seems to have a good reputation, so I'd be incline to take his word. What is your reasoning for wanting to go with the Ultegra crank in the first place?