Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   SRAM Red Yaw Throwing Chain off front help (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=939377)

clones2 03-21-14 03:41 PM

SRAM Red Yaw Throwing Chain off front help

Having an issue with my SRAM Red YAW Derailleur throwing the chain off over the front big chainring when shifting.

TWO THINGS

1) What limit screw do I turn to fix this?

2) If I re-click the left shifter - the front derailleur shifts about 1/2cm back to the left and settles right over the middle of the big chainring right where it should be.

I can then shift back to the small ring... What's going on here? Thanks.

fietsbob 03-21-14 04:27 PM

3rd one of those posted as being difficult to figure out

you shouldn't have to touch the stroke limit screws, may be in over your head touching it

if you must ask

1) What limit screw do I turn to fix this?
If its near new drop back by the shop you bought it from.

bikeman715 03-21-14 04:30 PM

1 . You can try turning the (H) screw clockwise 1/8-1/4 turn at a time until the chain doesn't jump the chainring . 2. might be a trim function just to do that ,so there no chain rub on the cage as you switch gears in the back , it move the derailleur a little bit instead of full move which would drop the chain on the lower gear .

FBinNY 03-21-14 04:45 PM

I adjust all front derailleurs the same basic way. I start by properly positioning. Then rough set limits, inner and outer, by manually shifting (push down on the cable arm. Then string the cable, and fine tune the limits by shifting using the cable like a bowstring (still not using the levers). Lastly, set the cable trim for proper shifting. The cable trim will vary according to the system, for instance whether the lever has a trim position or not.

In any case, once limits are properly set via the bow string method, I very rarely have need to revisit except sometimes for inner chainring trim.

clones2 03-21-14 06:05 PM

I am an idiot I guess... I had to take it apart and re-install it. 3rd time was the charm! I can now get through every gear without any chain rub - and my front shift is fine for now. Better than before. Maybe there's hope for me yet... These limit screws are much more sensitive than I thought they would be

Looigi 03-22-14 06:31 AM

Just in case it isn't yet clear, pre Yaw SRAM shifters have a trim position for the big ring. You shift from the small to the big, and the first subsequent click of the shifter moves the FD inward a bit to eliminate rub in the bigger cogs. The next click shifts to the small ring. Or, after shifting to the big ring, you can push the shifter through the two clicks with one motion to shift directly to the small ring. The YAW FD is intended to eliminate the need for the trim position and so newer YAW specific shifters don't have it.