Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Early spring riding, meh? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1168852)

rumrunn6 03-22-19 09:50 AM

Early spring riding, meh?

just occurred to me, the winter forum will be going dormant soon. so sad. so used to this subforum being a go-to place for reliably, weird fun

wipekitty 03-22-19 10:51 AM

We can try to keep it going through the summer...It's a good time for bike building/cleaning and hot gear sale threads

Jim from Boston 03-22-19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20850003)
just occurred to me, the winter forum will be going dormant soon. so sad. so used to this subforum being a go-to place for reliably, weird fun

Last t year I posted:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20366588)
Above reply posted 5/22/18, 3:46 PM; it is now 5/29/18, 5:42 PM. IMO, winter is over after a one week hiatus on the Winter Cycling Forum. Time to take off the studded tires. :D

Then there was this thread started on July 23, 2009 "How do you handle approaching snow plows."

Originally Posted by DX Rider (Post 9336865)
I was just curious how other people approach the situation.

My most direct and safiest route on the commute home is down a state highway, during a snowstorm the side roads are far more dangerous. On the few occasions that I've biked home during a heavy snow storm, I've had a problem with encountering snow plows.

Not just some townie in a pickup truck either, because it is a state route I usually encounter the big industrial snow plows. Sometimes there are two working in tandem

.Posted from Attleboro, MA. :foo:

rumrunn6 03-22-19 02:13 PM

uncanny how you dig this stuff up, Jim! :thumb:

Jim from Boston 03-22-19 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20850423)
uncanny how you dig this stuff up, Jim! :thumb:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 18337163)
...Thanks for that nice comment....

Posting has become an avocation for me. ...So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post.

However, that snowplow post was memorable in its own right.

rumrunn6 03-22-19 02:54 PM

past cpl yrs, once per year, on the MM, I get to dodge a plow. despite seeing plenty this year, didn't have to dodge any despite riding thru a storm on the MM again this year

ThermionicScott 03-22-19 03:20 PM

Don't forget that as it gets warmer here in the Northern Hemisphere, it's getting colder in the Southern Hemisphere. Hopefully @Machka will check in on their winter. :thumb:

Machka 03-22-19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 20850503)
Don't forget that as it gets warmer here in the Northern Hemisphere, it's getting colder in the Southern Hemisphere. Hopefully @Machka will check in on their winter. :thumb:

We're having a lovely warm autumn ... but winter here is dark, chilly, and often rainy.

Interestingly, whereas I rode outside a lot in the winters in Canada, I don't do that as much here. I'll ride on weekends, but somehow coming home after work, when it's about 5C, raining, windy, and pitch black just doesn't inspire me to go out for a ride.

PaulH 03-23-19 08:44 AM

I took the studs off several weeks ago and winter is officially over as of a few days ago. It did come back for a last hurrah last evening on my way home from work. There was a brief period of sleet and graupel -- a bit of a surprise, given that it was 44 F / 7 C. I already miss winter, as every snowstorm is an adventure, whereas, in summer, the main variation is how hot it will get. On the other hand, in a few weeks, my commutes will take me past the famous Tidal Basin cherry blossoms.

rumrunn6 03-25-19 02:09 PM

we do what we can to go with the flow I guess. if I keep finding new places to ride I think I'll survive the withdrawal from winter fun

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...33900f3195.jpg

gecho 03-25-19 05:59 PM

The roads are getting mostly dry after last week's heat. Alleys still have a bunch of ice on the north side where they stay in shade all day. Sunday / Monday was much cooler, there was light snow coming down while I was riding today.

I'm partially transitioned to summer mode. My I took the studs off my touring bike and mountain bike. For the touring bike I also lowered the saddle to summer shoe height, but left the mountain bike saddle at winter boot height. The only set of tires I have for my fat bike are studded so it is in perpetual winter mode.

February was so miserable I definitely won't miss this winter. March was great though, since the 5th I only had 3 non-riding days.

GrainBrain 03-25-19 07:40 PM

Changed my life a bit this winter versus last. Last year I worked a seasonal job so was laid off for a few months, also I watched my son while my wife worked. I had so much cabin fever I'd jump on the bike everyday after she got off work. Got 600 miles down in January.

This winter my new job keeps me working year round, and my son is in daycare. I think I'm at 470 miles for the year currently. Also it was just brutally cold right away in November, then January through February. I am absolutely ready for summer :thumb: Our son is old enough to go camping and such, so we're just really excited to get the season underway!

rumrunn6 02-19-20 10:30 AM

loving the longer days ... this winter has been a dud in my area

cyccommute 02-19-20 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20850003)

Only for part of the country...well, most of the country...will be done with winter. Here in Colorado, we still have at least 3 months more of winter to look "forward" to. It's interesting that the National Weather Service lists snow fall totals for Colorado into June!!!

rumrunn6 02-19-20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 21333906)

yikes! you have my sympathies, stay off those high passes 'till July?

cyccommute 02-19-20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21334050)
yikes! you have my sympathies, stay off those high passes 'till July?

We did get measurable snow in Denver on May 21 in 2019. Average date is April 28. Thankfully, the spring snows melt pretty quickly but it can stay cold for a long time. Our average last frost is May 4. The wise person doesn't plant anything until Mother's Day or even a week later.

Curiously, I was in Pennsylvania (Stroudsburg) on May 11, 2015. There was a blizzard of blossoms from the trees and a blizzard of snow that I missed in Denver.

Hypno Toad 02-19-20 01:39 PM

Summer training with 45NRTH
https://vimeo.com/69985416

ThermionicScott 02-19-20 02:13 PM

:lol:

bpcyclist 02-19-20 02:47 PM

Weather here right now is spectacular. Crystal clear, which is very unusual for us this time of year. I almost always ride at night, but today, it will be a full-on daytime cruise. A little UV therapy.

Notso_fastLane 02-19-20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad (Post 21334127)
Summer training with 45NRTH
https://vimeo.com/69985416

Wihtout a fan blowing on him to simulate wind chill, he's only getting half the experience.

The side of beef in the corner is a nice touch though! ;)

rumrunn6 03-31-20 06:00 AM

could not be more excited about early spring riding this year. while I like bad / interesting weather, it feels so darn good to get the heck out of the house!

gecho 04-02-20 01:01 PM

We had a fantastic weekend, but a bit of a winter relapse this week. Convenient time for a few rest days with -10C temperatures and winds gusting to 60 km/h. Despite the temperature today the sun is strong enough to melt / evaporate the little snow we got last night. Still below freezing tomorrow, but the wind will be low enough that riding won't be miserable. I still have 1 bike left in winter mode. Fat bike banished to the basement and the road / touring bike saddles have been lowered to summer shoe height.

parkbrav 04-03-20 09:57 AM

Nothing like a Nor'Easter to brighten your quarantine, is there Boston? :lol: :notamused:

rumrunn6 04-03-20 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by parkbrav (Post 21398633)
Nothing like a Nor'Easter to brighten your quarantine, is there Boston? :lol: :notamused:

the wind yesterday & the rain today, complete c**p, no way I’m riding 61 birthday miles today! must be getting :50:

Jim from Boston 04-06-20 09:15 AM

The Magnolias on Comm Ave are in full flower; Boston's version of the Washington DC cherry blossoms.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a49624eb5a.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c8bfe3d4b1.jpg