Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   why pay BIG $ for a jersey? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174191)

atjurhs 05-28-19 01:08 PM

why pay BIG $ for a jersey?

hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140

seau grateau 05-28-19 01:15 PM

Why pay big money for a bike? You can get one for $100 at Walmart.

tagaproject6 05-28-19 01:15 PM

Would you really accept a reason? Compare them side by side and you decide if you are willing to pay or not. A choice makes you neither superior nor inferior.

atjurhs 05-28-19 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 20951297)

your remark does not help answer the question

caloso 05-28-19 01:35 PM

Fit, fabric, construction? Even zippers that don't wear out? If none of these are important to you, then you should be happy with a cheap jersey from Amazon.

UniChris 05-28-19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by atjurhs (Post 20951316)

Indeed, I think most have an idea of what is initially (assembly) and permanently (quality) wrong with Walmart bikes.

I ride in cheapo high viz breathable long sleeve compression shirts bought a size too big so they fit a hair more loosely. No bottle pockets but I store that elsewhere anyway. One probably could be retired from suntan stains and a sewn up tear but it's still functional, and they're no big loss to replace.

Do whatever works for you. It is a valid question though, what you are paying for with a name brand cycling specific jersey.

bbbean 05-28-19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by atjurhs (Post 20951283)
hi guys,

i gotta wonder why pay BIG $ for a jersey? there are plenty of nice looking jerseys on eBay for $20, and then there are those that cost $140

Why ask why? If you can find what you want, then your needs have been met, no?

Personally, I don't know why people eat lima beans. I don't like the taste of them, and it would be silly of me to eat food I don't like. But other people seem to like them. C'est la vie...

seau grateau 05-28-19 01:45 PM

It does if you think about it.

shelbyfv 05-28-19 01:59 PM

If you are not too concerned with fabric, construction, fit and style, you will have more choices at a lower price. If these things matter, you'll likely have to pay more, depending on how particular you are. If you are fat like me, #3 and #4 are kind of irrelevant :o

indyfabz 05-28-19 01:59 PM

Yes it does.

Hint: It starts with the letter "Q."

P.S. ****

jadocs 05-28-19 02:02 PM

There is a huge difference in quality, materials and fit. Get yourself a Rapha Core jersey, I think they are going for $80 and you will see/feel the difference. The same can be said for other quality manufacturers. You will never go back to wearing jersey's that fit like t-shirts with pockets in the back.

MSchott 05-28-19 02:02 PM

I’d love to buy $100.00 jerseys but can’t afford them. I was happy with Performance’s mid quality stuff but I wont buy them online. My recent purchases have been the cheap stuff off of eBay. Buy them 2 sizes larger than normal and they fit great. Quality full length zippers and nice graphics. No issues.

Ogsarg 05-28-19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by atjurhs (Post 20951283)
hi guys,

I can only answer from my own experience. When I started riding, I did buy a few low cost jerseys and they were fine. Then I caught a sale from Pactimo and was able to get an expensive jersey at a big discount. The fit and quality of material and construction I find to be far superior to the low cost jerseys I had. I also liked their designs, which were understated but not plain. I've also found that it lasts longer than cheaper stuff.

I still have a hard time shelling out big $$$ for kit but if you keep an eye on sales, you can get much better gear for what I consider to be a reasonable price.

Juan Foote 05-28-19 02:08 PM

I mean, you do want to be cool and show all your cycling friends what fashion taste and disposable money you have for the sport, don't you?

RShantz 05-28-19 02:09 PM

Why did you ask this question is the real question? To justify your cheap purchase? It's like asking someone why they bought a Porsche when a Toyota will still provide transportation.

datlas 05-28-19 02:35 PM

Hi!

What's this thread about?

tagaproject6 05-28-19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 20951416)
Hi!

What's this thread about?

Droping the hamer on expensive jerseys.

noimagination 05-28-19 02:49 PM

If you've never tried a "BIG $" jersey, and you're happy with the ones you've got, then the answer to your question is: there is no reason.

I have inexpensive jerseys (Performance brand, Canari, others from organized rides) and "BIG $" jerseys (SMS, Castelli, and the like). The "BIG $" jerseys are much more comfortable, are longer in the torso, have pockets that are easier to access, and are prettier (to my eyes). They also tend to last longer (the Canari jerseys, in particular, fell apart rather quickly). I rarely wear the inexpensive jerseys, but I have to admit they do the job, just not quite as well.

As to whether the extra expense is worth it, that is a personal evaluation.

BTW, you can often find "BIG $" jerseys on sale. I have never spent more than $85 on a jersey, personally, and that was to use up a LBS gift certificate I received. (Note: when buying at a discount, you might be stuck with National Champion jerseys, or trade team jerseys, or TDF jerseys, and that bothers some people.)

datlas 05-28-19 03:05 PM

In all seriousness, sometimes you may just be paying for the "brand" but usually you are getting better quality materials, fit, etc., whether it's "worth" it is a personal decision.

P.S. ****

Seattle Forrest 05-28-19 03:19 PM

Sure it does. Nice bikes are better than Walmart bikes. Nice jerseys are better than cheap ones.

delbiker1 05-28-19 03:20 PM

To each his own. Why does it matter to you? Stay comfortable and ride.

Seattle Forrest 05-28-19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by noimagination (Post 20951443)
If you've never tried a "BIG $" jersey, and you're happy with the ones you've got, then the answer to your question is: there is no reason.

I have inexpensive jerseys (Performance brand, Canari, others from organized rides) and "BIG $" jerseys (SMS, Castelli, and the like). The "BIG $" jerseys are much more comfortable, are longer in the torso, have pockets that are easier to access, and are prettier (to my eyes). They also tend to last longer (the Canari jerseys, in particular, fell apart rather quickly). I rarely wear the inexpensive jerseys, but I have to admit they do the job, just not quite as well.

As to whether the extra expense is worth it, that is a personal evaluation.

BTW, you can often find "BIG $" jerseys on sale. I have never spent more than $85 on a jersey, personally, and that was to use up a LBS gift certificate I received. (Note: when buying at a discount, you might be stuck with National Champion jerseys, or trade team jerseys, or TDF jerseys, and that bothers some people.)

The neck on my Castelli jerseys is so much more comfortable than on my cheap ones. The cheap ones, either I leave the last bit unzipped and give up 10w, or I constrict my breathing and give up 30.

cthenn 05-28-19 03:25 PM

I have several $15 jerseys from Aliexpress, and a few $100+ ones from Ornot. The Ornot jerseys fit better, and use a nicer (feeling) fabric. Apart from that, I see no reason for the almost 10x price difference. Some of the newer Ali jerseys use the same advanced fabrics you see in high end brand jerseys, and I've found a few that even fit almost as nice as my brand name stuff. The quick and dismissive "hurr durr Chinese quality suxxxxxxxxxxx" comments are from people who obviously don't wear them. I'm not saying there aren't cheap, crappy, ill-fitting jerseys to be found, nor am I even suggesting the majority are not of poor quality, fit, and construction, but I've bought enough of these to have found some that really are on par with $100+ jerseys.

The bottom line is there really is no reason to pay for an expensive jersey, unless you really want to pay for the name, and (potentially) a slightly better fit. The fabric and construction on some of the cheap cheap jerseys is quite good. Bibs on the other hand, that is a completely different story (from what I've found)...

cthenn 05-28-19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 20951297)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ce1d6a784f.jpg

jim_pridx 05-28-19 03:38 PM

I'm really okay with nearly anything, but I definitely believe that quality jerseys and shorts and worth the extra price we pay, primarily because they last so much longer. When I bought the cheap stuff, I'd be lucky to get a season's worth of riding from it. I'm easily getting three or more seasons out of the stuff I've been buying for the last couple of decades or so.