Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Have you ever see one fail like this? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174872)

dmanthree 06-05-19 01:44 PM

Have you ever see one fail like this?

My cousin's fork failed, and she went over the bars. She's pretty banged up and may need surgery. I've never seen a fork fail like this.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...19cf23a596.jpg

rpyr 06-05-19 01:55 PM

I'd imagine you would have included this detail if applicable but I gotta ask... Did she run into something??

dmanthree 06-05-19 01:57 PM

Nope

Originally Posted by rpyr (Post 20963979)
I'd imagine you would have included this detail if applicable but I gotta ask... Did she run into something??

I wasn't there, but she says she didn't hit anything. She's a very straight shooter so I believe her.

That was my first question, as well. Her husband also confirms this.

rpyr 06-05-19 01:59 PM

then i'm putting my money on the reflector :foo:

mantis 06-05-19 02:05 PM

That is just so scary.

noodle soup 06-05-19 02:07 PM

JRA.

Most fork failures happen that way.

base2 06-05-19 02:15 PM

The string of blown out spokes, buckle visible on the backside of the fork and the angle of the tear from upper/forward to lower/aft indicate that something was jammed in the wheel as she rode.

Careful. Al-lew-minnie-yum will assplode if given the slightest provocation.

alcjphil 06-05-19 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 20964020)
The string of blown out spokes, buckle visible on the backside of the fork and the angle of the tear from upper/forward to lower/aft indicate that something was jammed in the wheel as she rode.

+1
Those broken spokes are a dead giveaway

79pmooney 06-05-19 02:19 PM

Chilling. And exactly why I don't ride CF forks. I had almost that failure with an aluminum fork and I did not fare well. I've broken two steel forks and rode both of them home (gently). No injury whatsoever.

Ben

79pmooney 06-05-19 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 20964020)

Maybe but maybe not. If the fork broke first, the wheel would go back, hit the DT, get spun sideways and having those spoke removed by the fork blade stub is quite possible. The fork crown also comes down on the wheel so those blade stubs are right there. (I can vouch for all of this.)

Ben

WhyFi 06-05-19 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 20964027)
Chilling. And exactly why I don't ride CF forks. I had almost that failure with an aluminum fork and I did not fare well. I've broken two steel forks and rode both of them home (gently). No injury whatsoever.

Ben

Steel forks fare better when something gets lodged in the wheel? Do they also manage to not throw the rider over the bars?

carlos danger 06-05-19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dmanthree (Post 20963954)
My cousin's fork failed, and she went over the bars. She's pretty banged up and may need surgery. I've never seen a fork fail like this.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...19cf23a596.jpg

i for one can see that the rear of tubes at the crack are bent inwards/forward and this indicates that it was not a clean break JRA. Maybe a stray squirrel got in there??

But even with than in my mind its pretty extreme for a fork to break like that. thats why i always run steel forks. because steel is actually real.

motosonic 06-05-19 02:36 PM

My guess is that there was a 2nd reflector that's now missing? Typically I see bikes come with two.. and like someone else said, I'd put my money on that being the culprit. Just from the broken spokes and the two spots that occurred in. 2nd one was probably right where the stem is. That's aluminum, too. I've seen aluminum forks bend/break before. I feel for her. I'm still recovering from a crash nearly a year ago. Every time I see something like this, I have reservations about getting back on the road again.

carlos danger 06-05-19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20964051)
Steel forks fare better when something gets lodged in the wheel? Do they also manage to not throw the rider over the bars?

yes both. they simply shred debri that enters the area.

tagaproject6 06-05-19 02:37 PM

Bikeforums single internet photo forensic investigators are on the case :innocent:

carlos danger 06-05-19 02:38 PM

ladies and gentlemen dont get treks!!

Sojodave 06-05-19 03:17 PM

I thought only Chinese open mold forks assplode.

WhyFi 06-05-19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by carlos danger (Post 20964059)
yes both. they simply shred debri that enters the area.

Oh. All of them or just the ones with disc brakes and mulching blades?

RNAV 06-05-19 03:30 PM

Those uncut zip ties are clearly the culprit.

datlas 06-05-19 03:41 PM

I hope your cousin does ok.

We will never prove the cause, but based on the picture it really does look consistent with the reflector causing the crash.

DrIsotope 06-05-19 03:41 PM

Funny how every catastrophic failure seems to occur while "just riding along." I count at least 10 sheared-off spokes. Most of them don't even look bent, and the tire appears to still be inflated. I'm gonna concur with @base2 on this one, something went into the spokes, and that something was intent on serious business.

A bike came into the LBS for repairs with a similar looking fork-- only this rider had gone full-blast into a guardrail. Wheel and bottom half of the fork stopped, rider and rest of bike kept going. Not nearly as many broken spokes, but the wheel was much more oval.

carlos danger 06-05-19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20964139)
Oh. All of them or just the ones with disc brakes and mulching blades?

all of them of course.

steel is real. the realest of them all. it just chugs down anything you put in there really.

carlos danger 06-05-19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 20964178)
I hope your cousin does ok.

We will never prove the cause, but based on the picture it really does look consistent with the reflector causing the crash.

I dont get it? how would the reflector cause the crash?? you understand that aluminum metal is about 100-1000 times stronger than the plastic that wheel reflectors are made out of right?

on the path 06-05-19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by carlos danger (Post 20964263)
I dont get it? how would the reflector cause the crash?? you understand that aluminum metal is about 100-1000 times stronger than the plastic that wheel reflectors are made out of right?

Exactly what I was thinking.

cthenn 06-05-19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 20964027)

Ben

looks like an Al fork to me? Haven't seen a CF bike part that was white on the inside like that...