Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   325 lbs new to riding and looking for a bike to support me for a reasonable price (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=753960)

venomisone 07-22-11 02:43 PM

325 lbs new to riding and looking for a bike to support me for a reasonable price

325 lbs new to riding and looking for a bike to support me for a reasonable price

10 Wheels 07-22-11 02:45 PM

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...reational.html

wfournier 07-22-11 03:10 PM

What is reasonable? I got lucky and found a touring bike on CL.

bigtasty 07-22-11 03:25 PM

I'm no expert, but when I was looking for the same I found out that MTN bikes are built for more abuse than a road bike.

MTN bikes are not as easy for long distance riding though, but at least it could get you on your way. BTW I'm 370 right now (just started riding) and I'm using a Gary Fisher Mamba.

Nightshade 07-22-11 05:02 PM

I'm very fond of and ride Worksman cycles. The seat that comes with a Workman is cost driven ,since most riders install a better seat, plastic pan cheapy. ) Other that the seat you will be hard pressed to find a weak spot on a Worksman.

exile 07-22-11 05:10 PM

Mid 80's to 90's rigid MTB's make great bikes. Most can be found for not a lot of money (check craigslist, auctions, garage sales, & pawn shops). Like mentioned before they were built to take abuse, had stable geometry, and an ability to fit a wide variety of tires.

asmac 08-04-11 12:45 PM

Check out the Kona Ute and, coming in 2012, the MinUte with a normal wheelbase.

"Reasonable price" is pretty flexible but these are reasonable given the standard equipment. Esp. important are the disc brakes... stopping is as important as going when you need to stop and greater inertia needs better brakes.

pdlamb 08-04-11 01:47 PM

Rigid mountain bike (skip the suspension stuff), or a touring bike. Touring bike is a road bike built to carry a load, like you or me.

And I'd suggest you get it from a bike shop, and ask them to make sure the wheels are tensioned correctly. You're going to stress the bike more than a 90-pound 11 year old.

Reasonable price? I think $1,000-1,500 is reasonable touring bike price. At 20,000 miles, that's down to 5-10 cents per mile each one has carried me. If you want cheap, remember the old adage: Cheap, Light, Good -- pick any two.

Seattle Forrest 08-04-11 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by asmac (Post 13034577)
Esp. important are the disc brakes... stopping is as important as going when you need to stop and greater inertia needs better brakes.

Disc brakes are really, really nice in the rain. But rim brakes have just as much stopping power when your rims and tires and the road are dry. My last two bikes had disc brakes. I loved them, and was sure I'd never go back. One day, while my bike was in the shop, I test rode a high end racing bike to pass the time until they fixed mine ... and almost crashed because its dual pivot rim brakes had so much more stopping power than I expected, having got used to Avid BB7s.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry so much about a mountain vs road bike, because almost any frame will hold your weight. It's the wheels you need to be concerned with.

Nightshade 08-04-11 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=Seattle Forrest;13035211
Anyway, I wouldn't worry so much about a mountain vs road bike, because almost any frame will hold your weight. It's the wheels you need to be concerned with.[/QUOTE]
less
A 36 spoke wheel , or 40 count, will be a lot stronger than a32,28 count wheel so look for them when you shop. As to the frame.....were steel is real, aluminum is less so.

Seattle Forrest 08-04-11 02:46 PM

Steel is real, but everything's liver on carbon fiber. :D