Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Coronavirus/COVID-19 (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=341)
-   -   Posting some info from another member re Coronovirus (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195995)

livedarklions 03-26-20 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by prairiepedaler (Post 21384801)
Ka-Blam.

Coronavirus has been downgraded to an infectious disease – like the flu

Has this been picked up yet by any of the media outlets in Canada or the USA?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...af22b34a05.jpg


They're a little busy with this:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...e-day/2344831/

Jicafold 03-26-20 01:29 PM


Originally Posted by prairiepedaler (Post 21384801)
Ka-Blam.

Coronavirus has been downgraded to an infectious disease – like the flu

Has this been picked up yet by any of the media outlets in Canada or the USA?

So?

Maelochs 03-26-20 01:38 PM

"Hey .... if we call it by a different name it won't be as deadly, right?"

Pardon, I am going to paste some Pinarello stickers on my $120 Walmart mountain bike so it rides like an F-10.

Anyway .... I think this one has run its course .... you guys stick around and have fun. I have done enough good to balance out the harm I have done here, so I am making a getaway.

Jicafold 03-26-20 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 21384933)
"Hey .... if we call it by a different name it won't be as deadly, right?"

Pardon, I am going to paste some Pinarello stickers on my $120 Walmart mountain bike so it rides like an F-10.

Anyway .... I think this one has run its course .... you guys stick around and have fun. I have done enough good to balance out the harm I have done here, so I am making a getaway.

So when you leave a thread you need to announce your departure? Should we care? That's called narcissism.

SHBR 03-26-20 07:43 PM


Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 21384444)
Nucleic acid, is in RNA or DNA, is the most specific SARS-Cov-2 testing in existence. So, that should clear that up for you. (I perform that “better than nothing” type of testing.)

Great!

Also take note, this is what the "authorities" "say".

What actually happens could be something entirely different, hence my skepticism. (anyone who has lived in China knows this)

Are you on the front lines?

SHBR 03-26-20 08:26 PM

The show must go on!
 
The death march continues.

Thousands of US Troops Will Be Stuck Overseas Under Sweeping New Travel Ban

The Pentagon has released new details on an expanded halt-movement order that will force tens of thousands of troops deployed overseas to stay there until the spread of a deadly global pandemic begins to slow.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Wednesday enacted a 60-day overseas travel prohibition for troops, their accompanying family members and Defense Department personnel. The new rules, which expand on existing travel bans, essentially bar all U.S. personnel from any international travel.
Italy Reports Largest Jump In New Cases This Week

Italy's Civil Protection Agency reported the largest jump in new cases in five days on Thursday, dealing yet another blow to hopes that cases might finally be peaking in the current 'epicenter' of the global outbreak.
US now has highest number of coronavirus cases

The United States now has the highest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the world, according to data gathered both by Johns Hopkins University and The New York Times.
Orange man proposes dividing US by risk levels

Orange man, keen for an early lifting of economically costly social distancing measures against the coronavirus, said on Thursday he would propose dividing the United States by risk levels.
Record number of Americans file for unemployment

With streets in major cities empty, and shops and restaurants forced to close due to the coronavirus pandemic, there was a record explosion of Americans filing for unemployment benefits.
China to block most foreigners from entering country

The Foreign Ministry on Thursday said China will block most foreigners from entering the mainland -- including those with valid visas and residence permits -- to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. The measures will take effect from Saturday. Entry by foreign nationals with APEC business cards will also be suspended, as will a number of transit visas and visa-free arrangements. It's the latest in a series of measures announced on Thursday that also make it harder for Chinese citizens to travel overseas and return home.

The foreign ministry stressed the suspension was a temporary measure that China had been compelled to take in light of the outbreak. The only exceptions appear to be for diplomats - though it said foreign nationals coming to China for necessary trade, economic, scientific, technological or humanitarian needs could still apply.
The new restrictions were announced shortly after the mainland's civil aviation authority said China would also drastically cut its international flight routes to stop imported virus cases.

Flights out of China will be capped at just one route a week to each country, with international airlines also permitted only one route. <--just like North Korea!

And, Guangdong authorities say all arrivals from overseas - including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan - must now undergo quarantine and testing from 6 am on Friday. The arrivals are to be quarantined at designated locations for 14 days - with expenses paid by the person in quarantine.
Watch live as ULA's Atlas V rocket lifts off from Cape Canaveral with the AEHF-6 mission for the U.S. Space Force Space and Missile Systems Center.


AdkMtnMonster 03-26-20 08:33 PM


Originally Posted by SHBR (Post 21385511)
Great!

Also take note, this is what the "authorities" "say".

What actually happens could be something entirely different, hence my skepticism. (anyone who has lived in China knows this)

Are you on the front lines?

Front lines? My wife works on a clinical care floor, I'm in the laboratory. She's on the edge of the battle, I'm sitting back in the area that gets shelled, so to speak.

There's still a long ways to go for us as a nation to get through this, and there's going to be a lot of unity as people start coming together more, even at a safe physical distance. We all depend on each other, each other's compliance, and common courtesy. This is still in the "getting worse every hour" stage, but it will not beat us. We will win. It takes a nation. It takes a planet. Stay safe, stay sane, wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, say thank you, tell people that you care about them, and let's all persevere with the strength of the whole human race behind us!

SHBR 03-26-20 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by Jicafold (Post 21385282)
So when you leave a thread you need to announce your departure? Should we care? That's called narcissism.

So what?

I think a little self confidence would go a LONG way right now. :)

SHBR 03-26-20 08:36 PM


Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 21385583)
Front lines? My wife works on a clinical care floor, I'm in the laboratory. She's on the edge of the battle, I'm sitting back in the area that gets shelled, so to speak.

There's still a long ways to go for us as a nation to get through this, and there's going to be a lot of unity as people start coming together more, even at a safe physical distance. We all depend on each other, each other's compliance, and common courtesy. This is still in the "getting worse every hour" stage, but it will not beat us. We will win. It takes a nation. It takes a planet. Stay safe, stay sane, wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, say thank you, tell people that you care about them, and let's all persevere with the strength of the whole human race behind us!

I'm hopeful, its all about having the right attitude.


Kapusta 03-27-20 07:33 AM


Originally Posted by prairiepedaler (Post 21384801)
Ka-Blam.

Coronavirus has been downgraded to an infectious disease – like the flu

Has this been picked up yet by any of the media outlets in Canada or the USA?

This does not mean what you seem to think it means.

There is a reason that the people trying to misinform you only show you that screenshot, rather than the actual link to the actual page: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-con...us-of-covid-19

If you actually look at the REST of the information on that page, you will see that the significance of this designation refers to who is in charge of managing it, and what facilities are authorized to handle cases. It still recommends social distancing of 2 meters, and staying home unless you must go to work.

livedarklions 03-27-20 10:10 AM


Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21386008)
This does not mean what you seem to think it means.

That is why it is not reported much. It is actually utterly inconsequential.


I thought it meant all those people who died of it were misinformed about its lethality. Very comforting.

Death rate is lower because more people are getting it than first thought, correct? Still going to be a lot of dead people.

skookum 03-27-20 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21386243)
I thought it meant all those people who died of it were misinformed about its lethality. Very comforting.

Death rate is lower because more people are getting it than first thought, correct? Still going to be a lot of dead people.

Still not a good situation. Just less bad. It likely won't destroy western civilization, but if you're dead that won't make any difference anyway.

livedarklions 03-27-20 02:26 PM


Originally Posted by skookum (Post 21386629)
Still not a good situation. Just less bad. It likely won't destroy western civilization, but if you're dead that won't make any difference anyway.

It really isn't less bad. Diseases can be too fatal to spread rapidly, so they end up killing far fewer people than diseases with a lower fatality rate.

No one's postulating the end of western civilization from this one.

skookum 03-27-20 04:51 PM


Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21386636)
It really isn't less bad. Diseases can be too fatal to spread rapidly, so they end up killing far fewer people than diseases with a lower fatality rate.

No one's postulating the end of western civilization from this one.

I understand your point. On the other hand if the fatality rate is very low there will be a large number of people infected with lesser symptoms, who will then be immune. This limits the spread of the disease as there will be fewer susceptible people to infect. I really dont think we know where we sit on this curve at this point.

I was being facetious about the end of western civilization. Some of the hotter takes on social media tend in this direction. Not you, obviously.

Zen10NiN 03-28-20 12:04 AM


Originally Posted by StanSeven (Post 21384536)
Enough with arguing, personal insults, and attacks towards each other. It’s an obviously stressful time. But that’s not an excuse for some of these posts that do nothing but start or escalate arguments.

you are really something StanSeven. Can you please explain to me what rules I broke by expressing dissatisfaction with the functionality of this site? Is it against the rules to say Jesus Christ in the forums? Did this merit me getting banned from a forum?

cb400bill 03-28-20 03:29 AM

Thread closed for moderator review.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.