Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Commuting and music (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172495)

starkmojo 05-08-19 03:47 PM

Commuting and music

So I have recently started commuting 2-3 times/ week. It is 19 miles one way along narrow roads in the country and most of the way the houses aren't even near the road. I have tried a few different ways to bring along some music for company and today I tried my oontz speaker as opposed to ear buds and I really liked it. I can still hear the traffic but get to enjoy Beethoven's 6th Symphony while peddling along as the sun rose. Does anyone else listen to music while commuting? I find that I go about 1MPH faster over long distances when I do.

The one down side is that my phone rings through the speaker and my ring tone is a dive klaxon. My wife called and scared me half to death in the middle of a tricky intersection!

Riveting 05-08-19 04:41 PM

I listen to music or talk radio 100% of the time when I'm riding solo, whether it's a commute, or just a ride, and never listen if there's anyone else with me. Single ear bud, in the curb-side ear, so I can hear traffic with the other ear.

starkmojo 05-08-19 04:47 PM

The first nine miles of my commute it is rare to see another car much less a cyclist or pedestrian.

caloso 05-08-19 05:19 PM

For commuting, it's mostly podcasts or baseball. I have a couple of interval playlists I'll do when I'm on a structured workout.

SylvainG 05-08-19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Riveting (Post 20920457)
I listen to music or talk radio 100% of the time when I'm riding solo, whether it's a commute, or just a ride, and never listen if there's anyone else with me. Single ear bud, in the curb-side ear, so I can hear traffic with the other ear.

I do the exact same thing. Lost my earbuds last week and bought a new pair. That pair uses the left earbud when used solo so I'm returning them.

Skipjacks 05-09-19 08:05 AM

As far as the ringtone coming through the speaker...

If you have an android I'm pretty sure you can shut that off. Make the bluetooth connection only for music, not for phone calls. You'll find it in the bluetooth pairing settings.

I'm 100% positive you can prevent calls from going to the bluetooth speaker. I'm not 100% positive it will stop the ringtone from going to the speaker first. You'll have to test it.

If you are using a wire....whole different story. I don't think you can prevent calls from going out on the 3.5mm cable.

I-Like-To-Bike 05-09-19 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by starkmojo (Post 20920374)
The one down side is that my phone rings through the speaker and my ring tone is a dive klaxon. My wife called and scared me half to death in the middle of a tricky intersection!

Play your music with an mp3 player, rather than a phone; problem solved.

noisebeam 05-09-19 11:25 AM

I've used the JBL Charge (original) since 2013 for every commute. The original fits perfectly in a water bottle holder. The later models are a bit larger and do not.
When phone rings it goes quiet for a moment, but no ringtone. I like that as I can glance at my phone at the next stop and see if it is call I want to return.

AusTexMurf 05-09-19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by noisebeam (Post 20921644)
I've used the JBL Charge (original) since 2013 for every commute. The original fits perfectly in a water bottle holder. The later models are a bit larger and do not.
When phone rings it goes quiet for a moment, but no ringtone. I like that as I can glance at my phone at the next stop and see if it is call I want to return.

I have been using the JBL Clip speaker on my bikes for a couple of years. Small, light, easy to move from bike to bike to backpack. Easy to use phone toggle button to change between music feed and phone. Works for me.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...905bacc631.png

JBL also has Cruise speakers that mount to handlebars.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edf4407db9.png

noisebeam 05-09-19 03:59 PM

Cruise may be OK at hand height, but no way would I mount speakers on bars.
The Charge is much louder than those mini JBL speakers.
I just bought another used one as backup.

Darth Lefty 05-09-19 05:00 PM

Once upon a time ten years ago when everyone was agog over phone apps, I had an idea. Never actually looked into doing it, but still I think it would be pretty cool: an app that has a playlist for your ride, such that it starts playing a song at a given GPS waypoint.

rexr 05-09-19 05:07 PM

I have been using these for years. You can listen to your music/talk radio, hear traffic and not annoy everyone around you with an external speaker.

o-tus dot com

I can't post URL's yet since I am new.

acidfast7 05-10-19 05:33 AM

I find the concept of a loudspeaker kind of strange and not functional unless you were in a very rural area. I do see a fair number of cyclists with closed-cup headphones :/

Last time I was in Cambodia on holiday, I was talking with a Dutch guy that was starting a company to sell speakers to Tuk Tuk drivers. I guess that's quite similar to the loudspeaker discussion being bandied about here.

crazyravr 05-10-19 08:52 AM

I honestly dont get the reason to listen to music or anything while riding. When I am on the bike I want to tune out of all the life noised and almost unplug. I want to listen to whats happening around me, take joy in the dogs barking and birds singing, cars honking etc. Might just be me but I dont get it.

Skipjacks 05-10-19 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 20922180)
Once upon a time ten years ago when everyone was agog over phone apps, I had an idea. Never actually looked into doing it, but still I think it would be pretty cool: an app that has a playlist for your ride, such that it starts playing a song at a given GPS waypoint.

I like it.

You hit a certain span over a river and hear 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters'

Or at dusk it starts playing 'Hello darkness, my old friend....'

You get to wherever is 2 minutes and 31 seconds from your house it starts playing "Homeward Bound"

If you're in New York it knows when you play the 59th St Bridge Song

Why does it only know Simon and Garfunkle though? :innocent:

noisebeam 05-10-19 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by crazyravr (Post 20923017)
I honestly dont get the reason to listen to music or anything while riding. When I am on the bike I want to tune out of all the life noised and almost unplug. I want to listen to whats happening around me, take joy in the dogs barking and birds singing, cars honking etc. Might just be me but I dont get it.

That is very true for me biking, walking hiking, EXCEPT my cycling commute of which I have been riding the same two routes for 15yrs+. It is just not that interesting anymore.
I do only listen to instrumental music and I still also hear birds, honks, engines, tire noise, radios, etc. along with my music

noisebeam 05-10-19 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by acidfast7 (Post 20922711)
I find the concept of a loudspeaker kind of strange and not functional unless you were in a very rural area. .

It is the opposite for me. I like music to go along with all the traffic noise, but when in a rural areas want to hear the quiet and bits of nature.

Skipjacks 05-10-19 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20923290)
"Eye of the Tiger" to get pumped out and keep motivated, and distract me from motor vehicles blasting by.

Try this song. It's one of my go to "Must be motivated now" songs.

Frontline by Pillar

Jim from Boston 05-10-19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Riveting (Post 20920457)

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 20902620)
What Does Your Username Mean?

Mine is not as obvious as it seems.I often introduce myself on the Forums as “Boston…Jim from Boston.” .

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 18015811)
Boston…Jim from Boston. D’uh.

Actually, besides the simplicity and utility of that screen name, it has a deeper meaning. I’m an avid radio talk show fan, and when I (rarely) call in, I’m introduced as Jim from Boston (…and now here’s Jim from Boston. What’s up Jim"?)….

My usual practice too; music usually on the weekends when no good talk shows, other than repeats are on (not financial or gardening :p).I don't listen when riding with others. I wear loosely fitted over the ear phones since I can't keep ear buds in the ear, and I hear just fine, besides close monitoring with my both right and left rear view mirrors. (link)..

I-Like-To-Bike 05-11-19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20924819)
while not illegal to wear ear bud, most people agree it is dangerous while operating a motor vehicle and biciycle.

imagine if you get in an accident, the fact u were wearing earbud is going to look really bad in front of judge and jury. it will make you look like you have bad judgement. it could cost you ver much in the end.

"Most people" probably agree it is "dangerous" to operate a bicycle in the presence of motor vehicles; doesn't necessarily make it so.

"Most people" can "imagine" all sorts of what-if legal scenarios; doesn't necessarily make it so.

ironnerd 05-11-19 06:51 PM

I wear a safety vest when I rode on my morning commute.

Seems like this might be a nice addition to my accoutrements:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dade9251e7.png

alloo 05-11-19 09:02 PM

I just use my phone for music.

RubeRad 05-13-19 08:57 AM

All podcasts, all the time. And it probably makes me 2mph slower, because I'm enjoying the conversation, rather than focusing on riding fast. I'm OK with that.

Classtime 05-13-19 01:21 PM

I listen to music NOT when I'm riding my bike. I'm never bored when I ride and it is the same 37 mile round trip commute for the past 11 years. Thank you all for using headphones or earbuds and keeping to the right.

fietsbob 05-13-19 03:16 PM

I bring my mandolin with me, on my bike, to go play with friends, once a week..