Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Bars and Drinks *Without* these Ingredients (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195433)

Noonievut 03-09-20 07:29 AM

Bars and Drinks *Without* these Ingredients

For cycling but also light meal replacement (like after work going for a ride and will eat a late dinner), I’m looking for both energy / protein bars as well as drink mixes. Thing is I have a long list of food sensitivities and have thus far found nothing that works for me (so I end up taking extra food to prepare late in the day at work before I leave - which isn’t always convenient).

i can basically eat any meat, veggie and fruit. I can also eat quinoa, and rye (bread, crackers). Other things as well but I’ll now list what I cannot eat:

Dairy, Nuts, Wheat, Rice, Potato, Beans (red or white), Oat, Cocoa bean, Corn, Coconut.

OldTryGuy 03-09-20 08:00 AM

Jerky????

Noonievut 03-09-20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21358841)
Jerky????

A good option, thanks.

I’ve had Epic meat-based bars...pricey but I’ll compare to jerky and see what has the better mix of ingredients and benefits (beyond protein).

Wolfhaven 03-09-20 08:29 AM

Starkist tuna creations come in a wide variety of flavors. I like to eat a packet mid morning at work for the protein. I'll throw a few different ones in my bags when I do any bikepacking trips too.
The different flavors keeps it from getting too monotonous.

OldTryGuy 03-09-20 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Noonievut (Post 21358854)
A good option, thanks.

I’ve had Epic meat-based bars...pricey but I’ll compare to jerky and see what has the better mix of ingredients and benefits (beyond protein).

For myself, price is of minimal importance when it comes to my health/performance since I am not only an endurance type of cyclist but am living with cancer. Food and liquids are fuel and should be HIGH OCTANE HEALTHY.

Originally Posted by Wolfhaven (Post 21358889)
Starkist tuna creations come in a wide variety of flavors. I like to eat a packet mid morning at work for the protein. I'll throw a few different ones in my bags when I do any bikepacking trips too.
The different flavors keeps it from getting too monotonous.

Very convenient but check all the ingredients.

caloso 03-09-20 01:16 PM

Jerky and bananas.

canklecat 03-09-20 10:07 PM

I was going to suggest the Epic meat-o-bars. Not bad tasting or texture, and no more expensive than some energy bars based on whey or legume protein.

Check out some baby food squeeze packs. Seriously, some of 'em aren't bad, especially the applesauce and other fruits, yogurt, etc. Same thing as squeeze foil energy gels, but with different ingredients.

Legume protein powders and bars give me ferocious gas, even with digestive enzymes, so I avoid those. Same with sugar alcohols like maltitol. Supposedly great for quick energy without screwing up our insulin sensitivity, but the stuff gives me gas.

I'm also avoiding anything with sucralose, after a recent study that links the combination of sucralose and carbohydrates with screwing up our insulin balance. Researchers are still trying to figure out why, but the combination of sucralose and maltodextrin found in many common energy bars, drinks and protein powders may be doing more harm than good for some folks. Too bad because my favorite cheap whey protein powder from Six Star used sucralose.

So, back to cane sugar, glucose, fructose, etc., for me.

Usually I'll grab a box of Clif bars because they're easy to digest, taste good and have a good texture. But they're whey protein and contain some of the stuff on your no-go list.

When I just want an energy boost, no protein, I use Clif Shot gels. My favorite is the mocha with caffeine. Cane sugar, maltodextrin, cocoa, coffee, green tea, sea salt. No digestion problems.

Clyde1820 03-11-20 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Noonievut (Post 21358805)
For cycling but also light meal replacement (like after work going for a ride and will eat a late dinner), I’m looking for both energy / protein bars as well as drink mixes ...

... what I cannot eat:

Dairy, Nuts, Wheat, Rice, Potato, Beans (red or white), Oat, Cocoa bean, Corn, Coconut.

Hm.

For snacking or small "meal" quantities, how about mixing up your own "trail mix" with select ingredients? Jerky that you chop into smaller bits, carob nibs or chocolate chips, (dried) cranberries/cherries/blueberries/raisins, sunflower seeds, a "granola" type cereal product that doesn't contain wheat/oats, honey or molasses (as a sweetener and to help hold it together). Can form into bars, or without the honey/molasses can "bag it" for portable refueling. Can add tapioca flour to aid in binding, and to add a zap of carbs (it's all carbs). Can add pea protein powder if you feel you need a bit more protein in the mix. Can mix into a non-dairy "yogurt" (ie, Silk's product, which is based on soy. Can bake into sheets, then cut up for wrapping as to-go snacks. High-calorie, lots of proteins/fats, and a good amount of carbs. And you control the ingredients, so you can avoid the stuff you don't want.

Off-hand, I can't think of any "bar" that doesn't contain dairy, nuts, oats or coconut. All of the ones I know of contain one or more of those ingredients from your "no" list, even their "no dairy/nuts" versions and their "vegan" versions.

If at home, you could make up a blend. Something like ... leafy greens, avocado, tofu, sunflower/chia/hemp seeds, carob/chocolate chips, a soy- or pea-based protein powder (instead of whey or yogurt), fruits. Adjust ingredients to be the mix of macro-nutrients you're looking for. Sufficiently "loaded" with a variety of ingredients, you could make it a meal replacement. Would need cooling, so it's not all that suitable for taking it with you (on a ride, for a mid-ride snack).

EDIT: Ach. Just realized that "cacao" is on your "verboten" list. :(

Darth Lefty 03-11-20 02:13 PM

Not the "bars and drinks" I was hoping for

Miele Man 03-11-20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Noonievut (Post 21358854)
A good option, thanks.

Jerky is basically dried meat. Pemmican used to have things like berries mixed in it.

Cheers