Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Sub $100 bib knickers (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1225407)

bonsai171 03-08-21 04:42 PM

Sub $100 bib knickers

I'm looking for bib knickers in the sub $100 category, and so far found the black bibs black knickers for $80. They have good reviews on bicycling.com. Any other suggestions?

Dave

SoSmellyAir 03-08-21 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bonsai171 (Post 21958152)
I'm looking for bib knickers in the sub $100 category, and so far found the black bibs black knickers for $80. They have good reviews on bicycling.com. Any other suggestions?

Dave

Amazon.com: GORE WEAR C5 Men's Cycling Bib Shorts with Seat Insert: Clothing

I recently bought two pairs of these, the first at $100, the second at $110. I generally ride 20 to 35 miles per ride locally which takes anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours. I am not saying that they are only comfortable for short rides; I just have not mapped out a longer local route which I can tackle in a single afternoon. These are my first bib shorts and I like them. I have only worn non-bib cycling shorts before.

bonsai171 03-08-21 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 21958166)
Amazon.com: GORE WEAR C5 Men's Cycling Bib Shorts with Seat Insert: Clothing

I recently bought two pairs of these, the first at $100, the second at $110. I generally ride 20 to 35 miles per ride locally which takes anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours. I am not saying that they are only comfortable for short rides; I just have not mapped out a longer local route which I can tackle in a single afternoon. These are my first bib shorts and I like them. I have only worn non-bib cycling shorts before.

Thanks but I'm looking for bib knickers, not bib shorts.

Dave

WhyFi 03-08-21 06:15 PM

I think that the Twin Six thermal bib knickers are in the price range, but it doesn't look like they have any on hand at the moment, so I can't confirm and could be wrong.

SapInMyBlood 03-08-21 06:24 PM

https://www.redwhite.cc/collections/...bshorts-tights

Redwhite bibs

My girlfriend and I both own a pair of the standard long distance shots. The quality of the shorts, the chamois, the customer service, has all been phenomenal

They are my most comfortable shorts hands down.

I havent tried the entry level ones but knowing the company and their products, I would recommend it 100%

Message them to get your sizing. They will ensure you end up in the right size for you

bonsai171 03-08-21 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21958258)
I think that the Twin Six thermal bib knickers are in the price range, but it doesn't look like they have any on hand at the moment, so I can't confirm and could be wrong.

Thanks for the tip. Half the challenge right now is figuring out what's in stock due to the global supply chain issues with Covid. I'll watch for them.

Dave

SoSmellyAir 03-08-21 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bonsai171 (Post 21958252)
Thanks but I'm looking for bib knickers, not bib shorts.

I see. Living in sunny southern California, I thought "bib knickers" was just British English for "bib shorts." But now that I have Googled to cure my ignorance, I see that you meant capri pants for cycling.

Heh heh, just kidding. There is much more I don't know about cycling.

masi61 03-08-21 07:27 PM

I bought some Chinese bib knickers from eBay at a really nice price of right around $40 shipped . Construction is actually a bit more robust than the Gore $100 ones (I also bought a pair of these from one of the British mail order sites.
“WKYWBike” is the brand from China. Their sizing is more like the old euro sizing. I needed a 3XL according to their sizing chart for my out of shape self at ~#215. I’ve already got a wee bit more fit to where the 2XL size might have been a better choice.

Last I checked they were mostly out of stock, but good news.... they a;pear to be back in stock: https://www.ebay.com/itm/YKYWBIKE-Me....m46890.l49292

Be aware, that these bib knickers are not for the coldest days since the Lycra is not of the “Roubaix” fleeced variety.

mstateglfr 03-08-21 09:03 PM

Black bibs.
It's what I use because the straps are long and they make a tall size, but I actually like the fit and finish of em too.

Toespeas 03-08-21 09:20 PM

what is this mary poppins lol , bib shorts would be a better choice because they are cheaper and can be used year round in the winter just get thermal tights or leg warmers , i cycle in 20f temps and i have regular shorts , and bibs and i just use thermal layers , never had any reason to waste money on full tights or knickers what ever you call them , u talk funny lol :)

bonsai171 03-08-21 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 21958329)
I see. Living in sunny southern California, I thought "bib knickers" was just British English for "bib shorts." But now that I have Googled to cure my ignorance, I see that you meant capri pants for cycling.

Heh heh, just kidding. There is much more I don't know about cycling.

Lol, good for a laugh! 😎. Might have to buy some shorts eventually too. Knickers keep you a little warmer than shorts. I like them even in early spring and summer (just not the fleece in summer) here in GA. I tend to run on the colder side.

Dave

bonsai171 03-08-21 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21958492)
Black bibs.
It's what I use because the straps are long and they make a tall size, but I actually like the fit and finish of em too.

Yeah, they look pretty nice. Haven't seen them in person; for me it helps that they have smaller sizes. I'm 6 foot but kind of skinny so it's hard to find bike gear that fits well and isn't too short.

Dave

surak 03-08-21 11:27 PM

I understand that there's simplicity of having one piece for specific weather conditions, but it's a lot cheaper to just use bib shorts with knee warmers than to get halfway between bibs and tights.

canklecat 03-09-21 04:07 AM

Spotti makes a good below the knee length bib. I've worn it for a couple of years for cool and cold weather, no need to bother with knee warmers. Great value at around $35 when it's available.

If the Spotti is out of stock try Przewalski. These appear to be the same manufacturer selling under two or more brands. I have two or three Przewalski shorts (not bibs) and they're outstanding values. Best pads I've tried, very well made shorts overall, at least equal to Black Bibs and maybe a little better.

Baleaf also has a capri length bib for about the same price. No idea about the quality or fit. I wasn't impressed with Baleaf padded liner shorts but that was five years ago. Their products may have improved.

RocTurk 03-09-21 06:56 AM

I like Primal Wear clothing. Although they're usually more than $100, coupons are available. Not sure what options they have for knicker bibs but check them out.

Doomrider74 03-09-21 10:49 AM

I didn't know what bib knickers were, either. After a quick Google, it appears they're what Ive always called 3/4 shorts. Knickers sounds kinda kinky :lol:

delbiker1 03-09-21 12:19 PM

Ale' bibs from CRC or PBK. One style, I believe, is called Corsa. The other I cannot think of the style name, but both are high $50 to low $70. I am 5'8" at 155 lbs. and medium is perfect for me. For me, they are very comfortable, great fit and, at this point, appear to be quite durable. CRC is free shipping with $99 purchase, and PBK is flat rate $9.99 until $179 when it ships for free.

Symox 03-09-21 07:40 PM

I use Voler for everything bicycle clothing related. Great stuff

jaxgtr 03-09-21 11:39 PM

I've been using these for a while and I really like them. they are going to come out with a version 3 soon, so they dropped the price of the 2's to $75. I went ahead and bought a couple of pairs.

https://garneau.com/us_en/fit-sensor...ng-bib-1058229

rsbob 03-10-21 12:10 AM

Argyle socks are required.

jwalther 03-10-21 05:52 AM

Can't beat Pactimo for the money (when it's on sale anyway). Pactimo Knickers

WhyFi 03-10-21 05:58 AM

Knickers look like this, folks -

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...248555cbf2.jpg

Side note for the OP: this was one of the first results that came up when I did a search for this illustrative pic. FWIW, they're $115 but there was an immediate 15% off pop-up and the manufacturer (Craft) says that they're on the "long and lean" side of fit - perfect on both counts!

https://www.craftsports.us/products/...31914128638070

Wildwood 03-10-21 09:06 AM

Not the knickers but The Black Bibs have been very good for me over the last 2 cycling seasons.

Certain climates with longer, cool Spring & Fall seasons are perfect for knickers. I ride with knickers often, just not bibs (yet).

Bob Ross 03-10-21 11:29 AM

I picked up some Pearl Izumi bib knickers for I think $80 or $90 at the PI Outlet Store in Keystone, CO a couple years ago. Don't know if that shop has an on-line presence, but I would definitely look around for deals on recently-discontinued models. I don't think I would trust my fiddly bits to a bib knicker that was actually intended to sell for <$100.

masi61 03-10-21 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by jwalther (Post 21960337)
Can't beat Pactimo for the money (when it's on sale anyway). Pactimo Knickers

I like the fit of these but Pactimo durability has been a disappointment for me.