Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Watt bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1159891)

ChrisRob01 11-09-18 01:48 PM

Watt bike

Hi Guys,
I’ve been doing some additional sessions on the watt bike to get fit in preparation for my first session on the velodrome tomorrow (accreditation)
Ive stuck to more fitness end and lower heart rate initially but decided to have a test on the 6 second test. Based on my weight (200IBS) it set the difficulty setting to 10 and 5 and I managed 1200 watts and 193 rpm. I just wanted to understand more about what the numbers mean and is it any good? It’s early days for me, just trying to understand more about the data and whether that shows what type of track event might suit me better. Thanks Chris

colnago62 11-09-18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisRob01 (Post 20655854)
Hi Guys,
I’ve been doing some additional sessions on the watt bike to get fit in preparation for my first session on the velodrome tomorrow (accreditation)
Ive stuck to more fitness end and lower heart rate initially but decided to have a test on the 6 second test. Based on my weight (200IBS) it set the difficulty setting to 10 and 5 and I managed 1200 watts and 193 rpm. I just wanted to understand more about what the numbers mean and is it any good? It’s early days for me, just trying to understand more about the data and whether that shows what type of track event might suit me better. Thanks Chris

that really isn’t enough data to make a determination on the event that would be best for you.

ChrisRob01 11-09-18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 20656006)

that really isn’t enough data to make a determination on the event that would be best for you.

No problem, perhaps try a longer test to establish more?

gl98115 11-09-18 04:49 PM

Go to the track. Race anything and everything. That's the best (and most fun) test.

taras0000 11-09-18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by gl98115 (Post 20656101)
Go to the track. Race anything and everything. That's the best (and most fun) test.

+1 to this.

colnago62 11-09-18 11:45 PM

Like the above posts state, go racing; You will find out fairly quickly where your talents are.

Hermes 11-12-18 09:23 PM

Here is a paper from the Aussies trying to answer the question of characteristics of track cyclists. You may find it interesting. http://www.ridethetrack.com/pdf/character_of_track.pdf

ilanpi 12-30-18 06:58 AM

The Wattbike team has the two best individual pursuit times of all time, so it can't be all bad.

-ilan

carleton 12-30-18 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ilanpi (Post 20724140)
The Wattbike team has the two best individual pursuit times of all time, so it can't be all bad.

-ilan

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Those athletes probably didn't become what they are by training on Wattbikes for years. Wattbike pays those athletes to promote Wattbike.

The Wattbike is probably a good product, but bear in mind that a lot of companies that make bad products sponsor great athletes :D

Ricovonsuave 01-02-19 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ilanpi (Post 20724140)

-ilan

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 20724547)
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Those athletes probably didn't become what they are by training on Wattbikes for years. Wattbike pays those athletes to promote Wattbike.

The Wattbike is probably a good product, but bear in mind that a lot of companies that make bad products sponsor great athletes :D

^^ Yep. It's a good, stiff erg. But so is my LeMond + old alloy road frame with some stiff bars and stem on it... it's what you do with it that counts. Really :) At the track here our elite team has a collection of LeMond ergs (mostly for the pursuiters to warm up on, I gather), BT ergs, a Wattbike or two, and a customised contrabulous fantraption involving an old adjustable ergometer, a very big gear, and some stiff Alpina sprint bars. I don't think this is giving away too many state secrets...

Ricovonsuave 01-02-19 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by gl98115 (Post 20656101)
go to the track. Race anything and everything. That's the best (and most fun) test.

Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 20656451)
+1 to this.

+2

queerpunk 01-02-19 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisRob01 (Post 20656027)
No problem, perhaps try a longer test to establish more?

really, the answer is "collect a few years' worth of data."

i remember the first time i borrowed a power meter, collected data from a crit, and sent it to a power guy and said, "tell me what this says about me please." and he basically told me nothing, because one file says nearly nothing.

the more data, the better - because you can draw conclusions about change over time. a test of a relatively untrained or inexperienced person can tell you very little. it can tell you your baseline, but your baseline doesn't say much about what will develop fast based on stimulus. it doesn't say if your aerobic engine or your sprint will improve by leaps and bounds with some training. and unless you're one of the very few gifted people, your baseline will be really low, all around - just like the rest of us.

so if you spend a few years trying to get better in a few different areas, and then you test and see where you really improved (and you reflect on what you really focused on) then testing will say a lot more.

Hermes 01-07-19 10:23 AM

I was looking over my videos and found these. Both videos are taken of Nate K who recently retired from 6 day track sprint racing.

On the Watt Bike - brutal.

On the track - flying 150