Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1132031)

Machka 01-01-18 04:32 AM

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Where are you touring in 2018? Got any exciting plans? Will it be a long tour, short tour, or something in between? Will it be to a place you've been before, or somewhere new? Solo or with others? :)

Tell us about your plans ... tell us about your tours. :D

And if it is a short tour, don't forget to post a brief ride report in the Short Tours thread.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ort-tours.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Tours:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...you-going.html

2016 Tours:
http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...you-going.html

2015 Tours:
http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/98...tinations.html

2014 Tours:
http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/92...you-going.html

2013 Tours:
2013 - Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

PedalingWalrus 01-01-18 08:18 AM

These are our current plans for 2018:

End of May 6 of us are going to bike the GAP/C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC 6 days
End of July 2 of us will bike the Iron Curtain Trail along the Czech Border from As to Bratislava 14 days
Short tours in between

Aushiker 01-02-18 10:57 PM

No touring/bikepacking this year as we are hopefully walking the Robert Louis Stevenson Trail in France in July instead. Might get a few two to three day bikepacks in but.

rifraf 01-02-18 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aushiker (Post 20087028)
No touring/bikepacking this year as we are hopefully walking the Robert Louis Stevenson Trail in France in July instead. Might get a few two to three day bikepacks in but.

Oh come on Andrew,

I'm waiting to read of your yet to be planned Cape Arid and Telegraph track tour to Cocklebiddy before June.....;) :D

Aushiker 01-02-18 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by rifraf (Post 20087051)
Oh come on Andrew,

I'm waiting to read of your yet to be planned Cape Arid and Telegraph track tour to Cocklebiddy before June.....;) :D

That is an interesting idea but not this year :)

stardognine 01-03-18 09:26 PM

In 2017, I rode from Warren, Ohio to Pueblo, Colorado. I followed several bike trails, then mostly rural highways till I hit the Katy Trail, in Missouri. Kansas was a crazy zigzagging ride, because wind storms closed a lot of trails.
I rode that far on a 1985 Trek 620, and upgraded to a 1988 Cannondale ST400, that was chained to a pole outside a vintage dealer's shop. 😎
Very soon, I'm leaving for Santa Fe, New Mexico, where it "should" be considerably warmer. That's another way of saying, I decided to go around the Rockies, instead of over them. 😁

gerryl 01-04-18 05:34 PM

Flying to Prague late spring/early summer, then ride East for 3-4 months or until I've had enough, which ever comes first. 😀

randallr 01-04-18 06:44 PM

Hoping to ride Donau Radweg from source of the Donau to Budapest in Sept.

JerrySTL 01-04-18 07:59 PM

I plan to ride the Katy Trail in Missouri yet again in June. This will be my 8th time doing it. It's a supported tour with about 350 riders. Here's the web site for last year's ride.
https://mostateparks.com/2017ktride

thomg 01-04-18 10:37 PM

Planning to do a lot of rides and bikepacking in the Québec Laurentians and maybe up to the Gaspésie peninsula!

saddlesores 01-05-18 12:32 AM

nothing big planned......still discovering bangkok.
however my long-hair translator wants to spend a weekend at the beach.
thinking of taking the train, with bike in baggage car.
end of lazy weekend, honey returns by train,
and then can cycle back over 3-4 days.

also thinking of some short 1-2 week excursions, taking the train to
a spot near the border, do a week in cambodia or laos or myanmar,
then train or cycle back to bangkok.

mattbur 01-06-18 12:14 PM

Nothing as exciting as some of the other folks here but GOBA already has my reservation. I'll be riding with 1499 other cyclists. It's all supported with trucks hauling the camping gear from stop to stop. First time for anything like this.

Also some more 3 or 4 day jaunts around this area, likely solo.

My plans for the Cincinnati to Cleveland trip petered out due to a bit of insecurity on my part. Doing it solo was more than I think I'm ready for at this point.

Tony

jpescatore 01-08-18 06:45 AM

Currently, three short tours planned (I'm in the Washington DC area):

In April, an Ohio-based friend and I will do a 4-5 day credit card style touring ride from Cleveland to Xenia OH on the OH bike trail system.

In July, my wife and I vacation in Finland including a supported 5 day biking tour of the Aland Islands.

In August, a group of friends will all rent a house in Confluence PA and (among many other activites) do a variety of rides on the Great Allegheny Passage trail. Last year's version of this is chronicles here.

We used to have a group that each year did road versions of the first tour but the others all gradually dropped out. I was originally going to do a longer solo, bike packing style ride this year on my new Trek Domane but these three opportunities came up and will use up my 2018 vacation time. Maybe next year, or maybe next year will be back to having the "gang of four" doing a longer tour.

nickw 01-08-18 09:23 AM

Heading to NZ to tour South Island all February, still working on logistics, but probably just going to flow with the go and figure things out once there.

BBassett 01-08-18 02:42 PM

Planning on spending a month or two in the Olympic National Forrest. 900K acres of alpine areas, forests, temperate rainforest and the Pacific coastline. And if I should get bored:

73 miles of wilderness coast
over 3,000 miles of rivers and streams
60 named glaciers (as of 2015... may have changed)
over 1,200 native plant taxa
at least 16 kinds of endemic animals and 8 kinds of endemic plants
20 reptile and amphibian species
37 native fish species
300 bird species
56 mammal species, including 24 marine mammal species
22 species listed as Threatened or Endangered under the Endangered Species Act
1 National Natural Landmark (Point of Arches)
over 650 archaeological sites
4 certified and 27 potential cultural landscapes
130 historic structures
nearly 500,000 museum objects
1 archeological site eligible for National Historic Landmark status (Ozette site)
16 developed campgrounds
64 trailheads
611 miles of trail
168 miles of road
457 buildings
175 outdoor wayside exhibits
4 overnight concession-operated lodges
2 day-use concession facilities
1 concession-operated downhill ski operation and 1 concession-operated river rafting operation

All without any use of fossil fuel motors. As close to a zero impact outing as possible. I can't wait for the climb to Hurricane Ridge from Port Angeles.

3speed 01-10-18 06:03 AM

BBassett, rarely have I been so jealous of a person. That sounds Amazing.

So far my touring plans are just hitting up Oregon for one or two of their singletrack river trails. I plan on moving to Hawaii this year, though, so hopefully a couple island loops or something like that will take place.

pinholecam 01-10-18 06:34 AM

New Zealand South Island in April, specifically the Alps to Ocean trail for 5 days and some sightseeing in ChristChurch.

Probably a ****et > Krabi > ****et cycling trip in July.

Tajue17 01-10-18 07:02 AM

hoping to just go about 15 miles to the local town forest that has paved bike trails and setting up a camp with a hammock and do a day camp for the the day maybe break out the travel fishing rod,,,,, its not even a hint of what all of you are doing but I'm a total beginner and still trying to get my packs filled right.

hopefully once I get in better shape and get the confidence up I will have some epic tours planned.

indyfabz 01-10-18 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattbur (Post 20093866)
Nothing as exciting as some of the other folks here but GOBA already has my reservation. I'll be riding with 1499 other cyclists. It's all supported with trucks hauling the camping gear from stop to stop. First time for anything like this.

If you happen meet a Mark and Cindy from Youngstown, OH tell them Dave Z (Met at Bonton, stayed at their house before my 2014 cross-PA tour) says "Hello." I believe they do GOBA every year.

Stranger things have happened. The last time I did Cycle Oregon, which is more than 2,000 people, I ran into a woman I had gone to Jr. high with. Less than 12 hrs. later I ran into a woman I went to law school with.

willibrord 01-10-18 11:48 AM

If the universe unfolds properly in 2018 (it didn't in 2017) I would like to do the Katy and the Baja divide.

Leebo 01-10-18 12:12 PM

Pedal around in Maine some. Hit all the other New England states so far. 5 days maybe. Guessing there are some dirt roads and lakes up there? Thinking about taking the downeaster( train) past Portland to start.

350htrr 01-10-18 06:13 PM

Hopefully this year, the wife and I will bicycle down along the bicycle paths along the Danube for 8 days...

BBassett 01-10-18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 3speed (Post 20101131)
BBassett, rarely have I been so jealous of a person. That sounds Amazing.

So far my touring plans are just hitting up Oregon for one or two of their singletrack river trails. I plan on moving to Hawaii this year, though, so hopefully a couple island loops or something like that will take place.

Now I am jealous.

BBassett 01-10-18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tajue17 (Post 20101178)
hoping to just go about 15 miles to the local town forest that has paved bike trails and setting up a camp with a hammock and do a day camp for the the day maybe break out the travel fishing rod,,,,, its not even a hint of what all of you are doing but I'm a total beginner and still trying to get my packs filled right.

hopefully once I get in better shape and get the confidence up I will have some epic tours planned.

A good ride to a spot that you camp out comfortably and enjoy the experience is all that is important. It doesn't have to be "epic". And have you ever gone fishing and caught something that wasn't epic? :)

BBassett 01-10-18 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Leebo (Post 20101764)
Pedal around in Maine some. Hit all the other New England states so far. 5 days maybe. Guessing there are some dirt roads and lakes up there? Thinking about taking the downeaster( train) past Portland to start.

I bet the coast of Maine is stunning. Heard anything about a rising tick population?