Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   The problems with biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1049241)

Artkansas 02-16-16 12:42 AM

The problems with biking

UCSB is a Gold level Bicycle Friendly University, a paradise for bicycling. Apparently people bicycle as they drive. :lol: Enjoy

gerv 02-21-16 12:06 PM

A few problems but great to see so many bikes on campus.... this tells me it can't be too bad :)

pacificaslim 02-21-16 02:12 PM

I went to UCSB from '87 to '91 and it was the same then! Those roundabouts are the scene of almost constant carnage and almost everyone I knew had a gnarly bike accident at some point. One of my proudest achievements is somehow making it to graduation without a bike accident on campus!

Roody 02-22-16 02:02 AM

I went to a political rally on the campus of a major university. There were literally thousands of bikes there. They had brought in extra racks for the occasion, but not nearly enough. A late arrival couldn't get to a bike rack, so she chained her bike to mine. After the event, I had to wait around quite a while until she finally came and disconnected her bike from mine.

Ekdog 02-22-16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Roody (Post 18554618)
I went to a political rally on the campus of a major university. There were literally thousands of bikes there. They had brought in extra racks for the occasion, but not nearly enough. A late arrival couldn't get to a bike rack, so she chained her bike to mine. After the event, I had to wait around quite a while until she finally came and disconnected her bike from mine.

How cheeky! I'd have reported the situation to security and asked them to cut the chain.

Artkansas 02-22-16 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by pacificaslim (Post 18553554)
I went to UCSB from '87 to '91 and it was the same then! Those roundabouts are the scene of almost constant carnage and almost everyone I knew had a gnarly bike accident at some point. One of my proudest achievements is somehow making it to graduation without a bike accident on campus!

I went there before the roundabouts were built. I don't recall anyone I knew having a bike accident on campus, though someone stomped on my bicycle while it was in a parking lot. I assume it was because they noticed that my bike was held together with turnbuckles and baling wire at that point (4 weeks before graduation, money was tight, the frame had come apart where the bottom bracket met the downtube)

bikemig 02-22-16 05:16 AM

This was fun. My school didn't have anywhere near that many bikes.

Artkansas 02-24-16 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 18554681)
This was fun. My school didn't have anywhere near that many bikes.

Yeah, the local university has virtually none. I can understand. The two main streets near it are nasty on a bicycle. High traffic, poor condition, little room for bikes and uneducated drivers.

Rino 02-26-16 12:36 AM

Shouldn't it be titled "The problem with people?"

jfowler85 02-26-16 06:07 AM

UCSB is quite a gem, despite Santa Barbara's prohibitive cost of living. I lived near State St and commuted to a campus in the Montecito hills...did flow cytometry at UCSB's lab on the weekends for molecular bio research with an immunologist PI. Good times, I miss that place dearly.

Artkansas 02-26-16 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rino (Post 18565374)
Shouldn't it be titled "The problem with people?"

You can take that up with the Daily Nexus.

Artkansas 02-26-16 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jfowler85 (Post 18565528)
I lived near State St and commuted to a campus in the Montecito hills.

Was that the Riviera campus? Where UCSB got its start. I always enjoyed visiting there.

Rino 02-26-16 07:59 PM

:)

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 18567252)
You can take that up with the Daily Nexus.

jfowler85 02-26-16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 18567275)
Was that the Riviera campus? Where UCSB got its start. I always enjoyed visiting there.

No, the campus of Westmont College...a very competitive undergraduate college for mostly wealthy and pretentious white kids. Hated that place and left after two semesters once my wife became pregnant with our first. Had to ultimately leave the area to buy a family friendly apartment we could afford; our little studio/loft was $1200/mo for around 350 sq ft.