Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Tubes and Tires Question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1183747)

Couzy91 09-16-19 11:58 AM

Tubes and Tires Question

Hey Everyone,

I am new to cycling. I recently bought an older 2006 Cannondale CAAD8. It has been quite some time since I rode a bike, so getting used to the clipless pedals and shifting gears has been fun. The bike appears to be only slightly used based on how clean the gears look. Not sure if the previous owner just took really good care of it or if they had another set of wheels on it.

The wheels appear to be the original which would put them at 13-14 years old. On my most recent ride, the rear tire had trouble holding air. I assume its the tire showing its age... or maybe the tube has a small hole in it. Regardless I think it would probably be a good idea to replace the tubes and tires given their age.

In doing some research, I am at a loss as to what is a good brand tube and tire to get. These are currently 700x23c and just dont have a sense of what is a good brand for each or even where to purchase. So any feedback in purchasing these are appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Psimet2001 09-16-19 02:59 PM

If a tube is leaking then it will go flat over time. If it doesn't go flat over time then it's not leaking. If the valve is functioning properly (you closing it?) then if the tube is losing air. Replace it. I've always been one that doesn't see the point in replacing tubes just because they are old. They either hold air (work) or don't hold air (don't work). There is no in between.

As for a good tube - The ones that hold air are good.

Quality tubes from just about any manufacturer should be more than fine. Kenda, re-branded Chen-Shen, Continental, Michelin, etc. Generic tubes are usually from ChenShen or Kenda.

zjrog 09-16-19 04:12 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e7f00fa795.jpg
My 2006 CAAD8 R1000.

I'm a heavier rider, but getting lighter. I have some Michelin tires on both my road bikes. But have had good runs from Continental GP4000 tires as well. As suggested, quality tubes will help.

I have Mr. Tuffy tire liners for flat protection, some use Slime or other sealants in the tubes.

I do suggest getting the wheels tensioned and trued...

Couzy91 09-16-19 07:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback both of you. Appreciate it. And really nice R1000, I have a R700 so looking forward to the day I can upgrade my components but not necessary just yet.

I guess my thought on replacing tubes and tires would be in case of a blow out. Car tires tend to have an expiration date. If I remember correctly it was something like 8-10 years. I see your point though as I’ve never really had experience riding until now.

smashndash 09-16-19 08:26 PM

I highly recommend continental race 28 tubes. Maybe also Specialized tubes. Make sure the tube you get has a replaceable valve core, as those can break. You may also want to put in sealant, and removable valve cores will make that possible. The best tire upgrade depends on your budget. If you like railing corners, you may want to get something stickier like a Conti Grand Prix or a Vittoria Rubino Pro. But that can get expensive. The Ultra Sport II should also be fairly sticky, but its puncture protection will be slightly worse, especially as the tire wears. If you have a lot of goathead thorns where you live, you may want to look at something more durable, like the Michelin Power All Season (slow, tough, grippy), Power Endurance (faster, less grippy, longer lasting) or even a Continental Gatorskin (extremely tough and long lasting, but not too grippy).

cecu 09-16-19 11:27 PM

I recently replaced my very old tires (23mm on a vintage bike) with some 25mm Pirelli Velo Pzero 4s.
I was shocked at the difference in ride comfort. I can now run the tires at 90psi (as opposed to 110/120psi when i had the 23mm) and the ride quality has improved drastically (and so has speed apparently, but it's still too soon to tell if that's a coincidence or not)

So you should consider a wider tire while you're upgrading them (if it fits the frame)

Tube-wise, I just get whatever generic tubes the LBS has.

Cheers

bruce19 09-17-19 05:05 AM

I know this is a whole different conversation but I went to Mavic tubeless and am never going back. When I was running clinchers I liked Vittoria tires and any decent tubes. You have lots of options.

eduskator 09-17-19 07:40 AM

When I had tubes, I just bought the cheapest one available... Don't waste your money on the expensive ones - as long as they hold air, they're good.

If you are looking to replace your tires, try wider ones (25 or even 28mm) if your bike can handle them. As for the brand, I bought a set of Michelin Power Endurance (700x25) this summer, and I liked them.

For your information, it is normal to lose air when using it. I lose 10 to 20PSI on almost every rides (50 miles, more of less). It's however not normal to lose air when the bike is not used. Just make sure that they are properly inflated before each rides.

zjrog 09-17-19 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by eduskator (Post 21125965)
If you are looking to replace your tires, try wider ones (25 or even 28mm) if your bike can handle them.

As I have the same bike the OP has, 25s are it. And I have to squeeze them between the brake pads.

Giving some thought to new wheels, and going tubeless...

Couzy91 09-17-19 07:09 PM

Thanks again everyone - great info. Appreciate the responses.