Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   dating vintage French bikes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1203607)

Rosbif 06-04-20 12:28 PM

dating vintage French bikes?

Hi , I am a new member here and this is my first proper post. Over the past few years I've picked up a few older bikes here in France.

Most coming from either Red Cross sales or local Brocantes. The problem I have is identifying some of the bikes; due to poor none original paint jobs etc.

Some of them do have badges; but it's still not easy to get good info.

I have one ladies Peugeot that I believe may be late 40's. I found an online copy of the 1950's catalogue and the 65 PHR is very similar; but some details, such as pump location and the rear brake cable which goes through the frame to the rear caliper. Where as on the 50's model the cable connects to a link cable that goes either side of the tube.

The fact that it is more work to drill and sleeve the frame for the cable to pass through makes me think this is possibly an older design.

I bought this Peugeot as a pair with another bike, a Gent's 4 speed. The derailleur, has a horizontal slide and not a parallelogram design. I found reference to this type of derailleur from the mid 50's, but the bike has been repainted and has no badges to identify it's maker.

I look forward to being able to post photos, but obviously need to post more before access to that.

Any suggestion of where to find info would be welcome in the meantime.

Thanks

WGB 06-04-20 06:31 PM

Risbif.

Get some more posts. Max 5 a day. When you hit 10 total please put pictures on. Sounds like some cool bikes!

uncle uncle 06-04-20 06:36 PM

Same here... can't wait for some pictures.

randyjawa 06-04-20 06:43 PM

I hear that chocolate and nylon stockings work wonders!-)

Seriously, welcome to the forums and to the interesting addiction of vintage bicyclitis. Though it may take or not take it will take some time to understand the significance of N+1.

To add even more mystery to your hunt, Peugeot bicycles were produced in France and Canada and, perhaps, elsewhere. That fact alone can, and often does, account for different components fitted to a specific machine.

Anyway, tell us about your other bikes, one at a time, to get your ten posts, spread over two days, and then you can post pictures, saving thousands of words by doing so.

USAZorro 06-04-20 07:51 PM

Welcome.

You probably already found this, but it is where I check about Peugeot bicycles.

Eager to see pictures.

aland2 06-04-20 08:32 PM

Identifying Peugeots is notoriously difficult

branko_76 06-04-20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by randyjawa (Post 21515704)
I hear that chocolate and nylon stockings work wonders!-)

that or a carton of Marlboro....:innocent:

Markeologist 06-04-20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by aland2 (Post 21515885)
Identifying Peugeots is notoriously difficult

I know a Peugeot when I see one, knowing what year and what model is the hard part!

Markeologist 06-04-20 10:55 PM

Ok, so that’s how it works...so silly. I‘m a newbie and tried to post pix (yeah I’m one of those guys who skips the directions) but I kept getting a message that my post was too big...telling me I had 70,000 characters! Wasted much time trimming my 2 or 3 hundred characters down...still 70,000 according to BF. IT WAS A TRICK TO TEST MY PATIENCE!!!