Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Commuting and music (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1172495)

Phamilton 05-15-19 11:27 AM

I wouldn't wanna try that on my commute.

Phamilton 05-15-19 11:28 AM

Somebody more clever than I could think of some wordplay between commute and flute.

RubeRad 05-15-19 12:08 PM


Originally Posted by Phamilton (Post 20931366)
Somebody more clever than I could think of some wordplay between commute and flute.

I think Moots includes an accessory with their Comooter model, it's a safety whistle you blow at intersections. They call it the Floot

Eric S. 05-15-19 12:51 PM

I rarely listen to music but always have podcasts or talk/news radio on. I've tried various headphones and settled on some over-the-ear Sonys that go around the back of the head. They cut down on wind noise so I end up listening at a lower volume and can hear traffic. I suppose police could get on my case about them but I rarely see them and I doubt they're looking at my ears when they do pass.

alan s 05-15-19 02:57 PM

I find riding a bike enjoyable enough not to need music or voices supplementing the experience. Driving a car is different. Anything to help pass the time driving is better.

I-Like-To-Bike 05-15-19 11:11 PM


Originally Posted by alan s (Post 20931717)
I find riding a bike enjoyable enough not to need music or voices supplementing the experience. Driving a car is different. Anything to help pass the time driving is better.

Listening to music or voices while riding isn't a question of "need" but rather an option some cyclists choose to enhance their riding experience. Others prefer listening exclusively to traffic noise, or all natural blowing wind and bird tweets and choose accordingly.

alan s 05-16-19 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 20932242)
Listening to music or voices while riding isn't a question of "need" but rather an option some cyclists choose to enhance their riding experience. Others prefer listening exclusively to traffic noise, or all natural blowing wind and bird tweets and choose accordingly.

I wasn’t talking about other cyclists. Just myself.

I-Like-To-Bike 05-16-19 10:14 AM


Originally Posted by alan s (Post 20932661)
I wasn’t talking about other cyclists. Just myself.

Did you think that makes you unique or special because you don't "need" such "enhancement"?
Do you know if anybody ever claimed that he/she listens to music or voices from an electronic device while they ride because they "need" it?

RubeRad 05-16-19 10:24 AM

In other words, your statement read like "You all must not find biking enjoyable as I do, if you need to supplement the experience with voices or music", whether you intended that or not.

Simply reordering to "When I drive, it's so boring, anything (voice or music) to pass the time makes it bearable. But when I'm cycling, I just enjoy the ride" takes a lot of the stoink off

noisebeam 05-16-19 10:32 AM

As I noted earlier I listen to music every commute every weekday 22mi RT in traffic for the past 15+ years. I ride fast which keeps things a bit more exciting, but over the years the route has become mundane. Music makes it so much more enjoyable.

Alternately on my longer weekend rides I do not like music. Especially when climbing it drives me nuts.

fietsbob 05-16-19 10:35 AM

How about Singing as you ride ?

alan s 05-16-19 10:52 AM

You guys are something special.

7Shifty 05-17-19 09:55 PM

I have Airpods and I just have them in one ear!

Hasselhof 05-21-19 03:16 PM

I use a set of bone conduction 'headphones' from Aftershokz. They are pretty much the definition of non-noise cancelling so you can hear everything going around you as well as your music or podcast (mostly what I use these days). I found that they take a little while to get used to, but I now find them invaluable. I'm actually on my second set after I accidentally dropped my first pair onto the driveway behind my wifes car and she reversed over them.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cafb9f679c.jpg

KraneXL 05-21-19 04:00 PM

I don't typically listen to music on my rides, although I do create music mentally. I also don't use ear plugs, although one ear is legal. I might listen if I stop for a brief respite. However, many times I used riding to meditate if I'm on a quiescent path. Otherwise, I give the traffic my undivided attention. SoCal roadways can b notoriously treacherous.

RubeRad 05-21-19 04:41 PM


Originally Posted by Hasselhof (Post 20941104)
I use a set of bone conduction 'headphones' from Aftershokz.

Interesting. Reminds me of the subcutaneous headphone/microphone system Ender Wiggin used to communicate with 'Jane' the computer in Speaker for the Dead (sequel to Ender's Game)

Hasselhof 05-22-19 03:07 AM


Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 20941217)
Interesting. Reminds me of the subcutaneous headphone/microphone system Ender Wiggin used to communicate with 'Jane' the computer in Speaker for the Dead (sequel to Ender's Game)

I'm not familiar with that one, but it sure sounds like a lower-fi version of it. The audio quality is..... fine. For podcasts it really doesn't matter much, but for music the sound quality might be a deal breaker for some. That said, if you were after quality of sound I daresay you wouldn't be looking at bone conduction headphones in the first place.

RubeRad 05-22-19 01:17 PM

Does it actually press firmly on bone? Does it get sore after wearing for a long time? I get soreness from sunglasses gently pinching for hours at a time

mstateglfr 05-22-19 01:55 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Headpho.../dp/B01IUP89LS
Anker Soundbuds NB10

I use them whenever I ride alone.
- they help reduce wind noise.
- they keep wind out of my ears when its cold- so no earaches.
- I can hear ambient noise without issue. I hear people speaking from 30' away when riding and thats good enough for me.

mstateglfr 05-22-19 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20924819)
while not illegal to wear ear bud, most people agree it is dangerous while operating a motor vehicle and biciycle.

imagine if you get in an accident, the fact u were wearing earbud is going to look really bad in front of judge and jury. it will make you look like you have bad judgement. it could cost you ver much in the end.

The odds of me ever appearing in front of a judge and jury due to cycling are so small and insignificant that it isnt even worth me considering this as a reason to not wear ear buds.

If I did find myself in your hypothetical, then I would try to rationally explain that in my experience, ear buds dont distract me from seeing or hearing what is going on around me.
Its ironic that music can blast in a car thru the speakers and the driver's hearing is limited, but that isnt an issue in your hypothetical...

mstateglfr 05-22-19 02:01 PM


Originally Posted by alan s (Post 20931717)
I find riding a bike enjoyable enough not to need music or voices supplementing the experience. Driving a car is different. Anything to help pass the time driving is better.

I get that you said this is only for you and not projected on others, but i mean come on now, it shouldnt be a surprise that your wording is taken as projecting your view on others.

KraneXL 05-22-19 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20942733)
The odds of me ever appearing in front of a judge and jury due to cycling are so small and insignificant that it isnt even worth me considering this as a reason to not wear ear buds.

If I did find myself in your hypothetical, then I would try to rationally explain that in my experience, ear buds dont distract me from seeing or hearing what is going on around me.
Its ironic that music can blast in a car thru the speakers and the driver's hearing is limited, but that isnt an issue in your hypothetical...

An explanation wouldn't work, the judge will rule on the law. In my state you can't cover both ears. Although it is unlikely you still don't want to be that guy. Police tried to give me a ticket once for taking the lane to avoid an obstacle.

As for the loud music in the car I couldn't agree more. However, there is a psychological effect that headphone have of isolating you from your environment that's not quite the same in a car.

Even when I walk with headphones I have to keep a special awareness of my environment. I have crossed the street at least once without looking. That was enough proof for me.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20942736)
I get that you said this is only for you and not projected on others, but i mean come on now, it shouldnt be a surprise that your wording is taken as projecting your view on others.

On the other hand, isn't that what our leaders do?

mstateglfr 05-22-19 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20942759)
An explanation wouldn't work, the judge will rule on the law. In my state you can't cover both ears. Although it is unlikely you still don't want to be that guy. Police tried to give me a ticket once for taking the lane to avoid an obstacle.

As for the loud music in the car I couldn't agree more. However, there is a psychological effect that headphone have of isolating you from your environment that's not quite the same in a car.

Even when I walk with headphones I have to keep a special awareness of my environment. I have crossed the street at least once without looking. That was enough proof for me.
On the other hand, isn't that what our leaders do?

Judge and jury = me being questioned and that is why I mention explaining myself. Totally wouldnt work, i have no disillusions that it would. I was simply replying to the absurd scenario in Addict's post. I have a strong suspicion that he doesnt actually ride enough to experience much of what he posts about.


As for leaders projecting other's words onto them, yeah thats done a lot. Its a pretty common human behavior.

Hasselhof 05-22-19 04:14 PM


Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 20942653)
Does it actually press firmly on bone? Does it get sore after wearing for a long time? I get soreness from sunglasses gently pinching for hours at a time

No, not at all. It is basically just a small speaker that rssts on the skin above the bony patch in front of your ear. Sometimes it takes a little bit of manoeuvring to get them into a sweet spot, but you get used to them really quickly. Probably my biggest gripe with them at the moment is that although they have a built in microphone for phone calls, when you are out for a ride the wind noise makes them virtually unusable because of wind noise at anything above about 5kph


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.