Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What? No middle fingers? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=436432)

mtnwalker 07-02-08 12:34 PM

What? No middle fingers?

So, I gave this guy going the opposite direction of me a middle finger to let him know what I think of everyone on a bike who is not me. Surprisingly, he did not return the gesture. Not even a disgusted "WTF?" look. Instead I got a surprised look as if he wasn't expecting a middle finger from another commuter. I tried a few more times and the results were mainly the same. One guy did try to chase me and yelling something about "giving me a piece of his mind". Whatever.:rolleyes: Its a good thing a busy four lane street was in the middle of us and I was able to pedal away without much trouble.

Maybe I'll add a hearty "F*** You!" tomorrow. We'll see if it'll make a difference to these jerks.:notamused:

ax0n 07-02-08 12:38 PM

The middle finger is practically the universal "I see you" acknowledgment gesture. If I can see them flipping me off, I know they won't accidentally run over me. In turn, when I reciprocate, they understand that I've seen them. They may still intentionally run me down, but at least I know they're paying attention to the road for long enough to give me the salute.

Why would someone give you a piece of their mind?

ax0n 07-02-08 12:42 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3127/...b0439e81_o.gif

ItsJustMe 07-02-08 12:45 PM

Luckily the folks around here are pretty courteous. I always keep a few rocks handy, so when I see another commuter I can huck one at them, and they usually return the favor. :innocent:

rkpol7 07-02-08 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mtnwalker (Post 6987554)
So, I gave this guy going the opposite direction of me a middle finger to let him know what I think of everyone on a bike who is not me.

Clearly the general public does not recognize your narcissistic importance. Maybe you should roar like a T-Rex at jay-walkers. Then they'll know who's boss. :thumb:

nemo 07-02-08 01:01 PM

As plankton said to spongebob "people like it when you are assertive" show em who's boss

jpdesjar 07-02-08 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by mtnwalker (Post 6987554)
So, I gave this guy going the opposite direction of me a middle finger to let him know what I think of everyone on a bike who is not me. Surprisingly, he did not return the gesture. Not even a disgusted "WTF?" look. Instead I got a surprised look as if he wasn't expecting a middle finger from another commuter. I tried a few more times and the results were mainly the same. One guy did try to chase me and yelling something about "giving me a piece of his mind". Whatever.:rolleyes: Its a good thing a busy four lane street was in the middle of us and I was able to pedal away without much trouble.

Maybe I'll add a hearty "F*** You!" tomorrow. We'll see if it'll make a difference to these jerks.:notamused:

wait i don't get it, was he on your side of the road or the other? why were you just throwing fingers around in the first place?

evblazer 07-02-08 01:04 PM

What the heck is wrong with the you're #1 symbol now?

I try not to use it because honestly if I'm #1 no one else can be!

Pig_Chaser 07-02-08 01:09 PM

I used to middle finger everyone i passed, but since i got so few in return, now i just reciprocate the ones i receive.

BroadSTPhilly 07-02-08 01:28 PM

http://www.foureyesjokeshop.com/Prod...finger_hat.jpg

I just wear this hat. It saves wear and tear on the finger.

MyPC8MyBrain 07-02-08 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ax0n (Post 6987614)

awesome.... my new avatar !

Denny Koll 07-02-08 01:36 PM

He was lucky it was just a finger...what a b@stard!

JanMM 07-02-08 01:40 PM

The concept doesn't fly in winter with mittens on.

thebarerider 07-02-08 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 6987747)
As plankton said to spongebob "people like it when you are assertive" show em who's boss

:roflmao:

When I see other people out on bikes, I wave. When they don't reciprocate, I circle around, creep up behind them and throw a big stick in their spokes. And those roadies don't think I can catch up in a pair of jeans...psshh.

jyossarian 07-02-08 01:45 PM

I don't like taking my hands off the bars so I just wave my penis at them. Only about 50% of the riders return the wave.

jterribili 07-02-08 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by rkpol7 (Post 6987648)
Clearly the general public does not recognize your narcissistic importance. Maybe you should roar like a T-Rex at jay-walkers. Then they'll know who's boss. :thumb:

+1: I usually do some crazy, primal-like, guttural scream at those damn j-walkers and make them think I am nucking futs :twitchy:

works rather well :D

jterribili 07-02-08 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jyossarian (Post 6988092)
I don't like taking my hands off the bars so I just wave my penis at them. Only about 50% of the riders return the wave.

damnit, I can't stop laughing!!! :roflmao2:

JustBrowsing 07-02-08 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by jyossarian (Post 6988092)

And the ones who don't return the wave, well, screw em!

VolksDragon 07-02-08 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe (Post 6987633)
Luckily the folks around here are pretty courteous. I always keep a few rocks handy, so when I see another commuter I can huck one at them, and they usually return the favor. :innocent:

Careful, you never know when you're bringing those rocks to a gunfight, especially around here. ;)

jyossarian 07-02-08 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JustBrowsing (Post 6988148)
And the ones who don't return the wave, well, screw em!

I see what you did there.

harleyfrog 07-02-08 03:21 PM

Musta been New Yorkers.

deez 07-02-08 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jyossarian (Post 6988500)

O Rly?

idcruiserman 07-02-08 04:22 PM

Finally, an entertaining commuting forum thread.

JustBrowsing 07-02-08 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jyossarian (Post 6988500)

Glad someone did. :thumb:

mtnwalker 07-02-08 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ax0n (Post 6987614)

Very nice.:thumb:
That would look great as a jersey.