Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Beach Cruisers (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=328)
-   -   New Electra Townie owner (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1016249)

NOLABIKER 06-29-15 05:31 AM

New Electra Townie owner

Hello all.
Just purchased my first Electra bicycle this past Saturday. The Townie 7d in black. Now the fun begins... customizing it!

When I purchased it, I had the bike shop install the Electra fenders, rear rack and a bottle cage. I am thinking of swapping the handlebars out with the ELectra ape hangers, but I want to get some more mileage on the bike before I do that. I might just find that I am perfectly fine with the original handlebars.

I have been looking at some different lighting options for the bike. I really like the retro bullet headlight and rear lights that Soma Fabricators offers. The plan is to mount two headlights and two taillights eventually.

I am also thinking of swapping out the original kickstand with a two legged stand. Does anyone here have a particular two legged stand that you could recommend looking at? Preferably one in black, but I could live with a chrome finish.

Thanks in advance.

GP 07-02-15 03:13 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Pletscher-Doub.../dp/B006ZN86PM

NOLABIKER 07-03-15 08:33 PM

Thanks for the link.

Finally got to get out and ride some today. If it hasn't been raining, I've been stuck at work and not able to ride. Did just under 11.5 miles total with my son. Snapped a quick picture of the Townie.
Got the trunk bag off of Amazon for just a little over $13. May not be big enough. I have a beach towel inside the main compartment along with a ulock and 4' cable. No room for anything else. Had to stuff my son's basketball jersey inter the carry strap. Not sure if I am going to keep the bag that's attached to the stem/top tube. Just something I had from another bike and threw it on today before heading out.

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...psjrolb0om.jpg

GP 07-07-15 03:38 PM

You can zip tie a wire basket on the rack. They make little cargo nets for them.

Tankclimber15 07-14-15 07:58 AM

What rear rack did you get?

NOLABIKER 07-14-15 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tankclimber15 (Post 17978064)
What rear rack did you get?

It's the Electra rack made for the Townie.

Tankclimber15 07-14-15 01:09 PM

10-4, I was looking at their website yesterday and didn't see the rack listed

NOLABIKER 07-14-15 04:30 PM

Here ya go: Racks - Accessories - Electra Bike Store

Tankclimber15 07-14-15 05:27 PM

Thank you

fourknees 10-28-15 01:12 PM

The Bontraeger Backrack Deluxe L works on a townie too: BackRack Deluxe L - | Bontrager

Pictures here: http://www.bikeforums.net/beach-crui...l#post16258028

ltxi 11-05-15 07:43 PM

Picked up an Electra 7D EQ Townie for my "real bike" challenged wife yesterday. Lord help me, I like it. Daily road and mtb rider tho I am, I'm now seriously considering adding a 21D men's to my own, personal remuda.

NOLABIKER 11-05-15 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ltxi (Post 18297929)
Picked up an Electra 7D EQ Townie for my "real bike" challenged wife yesterday. Lord help me, I like it. Daily road and mtb rider tho I am, I'm now seriously considering adding a 21D men's to my own, personal remuda.

Stop considering it and just go get it already! :)

ltxi 11-05-15 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by NOLABIKER (Post 18298055)
Stop considering it and just go get it already! :)

You don't understand....I haven't owned or ridden anything cruiser style since that coaster brake Schwinn in my very early teens, damn near 60 years ago. I'm a serious cyclist. Trix are for kids, and for wimmen peeples who can't handle real bikes, don't ya know. This concept of mebbe wanting a Townie for my ownself is causing me great mental anguish bordering on serious trauma. I'm gonna need a bit of awhile to get past/be able to handle this.

Edit/addendum: After riding wife's ill fitting, for me, 7D a few miles a day for the last few days and liking it, I went back to LBS to test ride a 21D. Then ordered one in Tall. I attempted to delude myself into believing the only reason I was doing this was 'cause I needed a coming up on winter bad weather bike fer when the road bike won't do. Didn't work....I'm going to hell.

fourknees 01-31-16 11:41 AM

ltxi- how are you liking your 21D?

John L 09-04-17 04:39 PM

Hi, Just curious if you still like the ape hangers on your townie? I was thinking about maybe doing the same. Net search brought me here through your bike picture.

NOLABIKER 09-05-17 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by John L (Post 19840341)
Hi, Just curious if you still like the ape hangers on your townie? I was thinking about maybe doing the same. Net search brought me here through your bike picture.

I love the ape hangers. Very upright riding position... and it turns heads wherever I ride it. Lots of big guys like myself stop me and ask about it. Unless they're kind of sketchy looking, I let them take a quick ride on it and they almost always comment that they like the position.

For some reason I can't attach a picture of it with the ape hangers. I'll try to get one uploaded soon.

***EDIT***
Just realized that picture above is actually of my first Townie. It only lasted until the end of the year, literally. It's fell of the back of my car on New Years Eve in 2015. I'll have to get a picture uploaded of the one that replaced it. I went with the tall frame version this time. It basically looks the same except for the handlebars.

jimmie65 09-05-17 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by NOLABIKER (Post 19841192)
I love the ape hangers. Very upright riding position... and it turns heads wherever I ride it. Lots of big guys like myself stop me and ask about it. Unless they're kind of sketchy looking, I let them take a quick ride on it and they almost always comment that they like the position.

For some reason I can't attach a picture of it with the ape hangers. I'll try to get one uploaded soon.

***EDIT***
Just realized that picture above is actually of my first Townie. It only lasted until the end of the year, literally. It's fell of the back of my car on New Years Eve in 2015. I'll have to get a picture uploaded of the one that replaced it. I went with the tall frame version this time. It basically looks the same except for the handlebars.

I'm curious to see how this looks. I almost ordered ape hangers for my cruiser, but went with a shorter bar (32 x 13.5") because I wasn't sure how the ape hangers would look. Might have time to cancel the order and switch.

NOLABIKER 09-05-17 05:44 AM

I've wasted enough time at work this morning trying to get a picture uploaded here. Photobucket, where most of my pictures are, sucks now and using the attachment feature here isn't working. If anyone know of an easy way to get a picture posted here, let me know. Thanks.

NOLABIKER 09-05-17 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by jimmie65 (Post 19841207)
I'm curious to see how this looks. I almost ordered ape hangers for my cruiser, but went with a shorter bar (32 x 13.5") because I wasn't sure how the ape hangers would look. Might have time to cancel the order and switch.

These are the bars I have on the townie: Electra Cruiser Handlebar Ape Hanger Black - Handlebars - Parts - Electra Bike Store

jimmie65 09-05-17 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by NOLABIKER (Post 19841226)

So yours are a little shorter and narrower what I ordered. I always think 2'+ tall when I hear "ape hangers".

NOLABIKER 09-05-17 06:02 AM

Let's try this.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3xdgxL4spkRRi38f2

From 4th of July: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8N6ty7hvZOWGt7Dg1

jimmie65 09-05-17 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by NOLABIKER (Post 19841242)

Gorgeous.

John L 09-05-17 06:45 AM

Very cool. I assume you have to lengthen all cables to make the hangers work.

NOLABIKER 09-05-17 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by John L (Post 19841299)
Very cool. I assume you have to lengthen all cables to make the hangers work.

I had the shop that I bought it from install everything. They suggested that one of the cables be swapped with one for a tandem. Think it was the rear brake cable. But honestly, I think the original cable would have worked. But they only charged me $6 for the cable and $15 for labor. I like the guys there and had no problem paying them to do something I probably could have done. It was all done at the time of purchase anyway.

shoail4 10-04-17 08:48 AM

Can anyone tell me is it the Electra rack made for the Townie?