Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Alt Bike Culture (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Old school chopper fork extenders (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=729074)

pwhallon 04-20-11 12:01 PM

Old school chopper fork extenders

Okay, I know they were cheezy and dangerous, but I want to reproduce a chopper bike I built when I was a kid. :thumb:

Remeber the 3 foot chrome fork extenders that bolted on.

Are any of them still out there? I have ebayed, googles etc. Can't find any.:notamused:

Please let me know if any of you have seen a set of these for sale. I would pay a few bucks for a set.

Or, just thought of this, are there long forks that are threaded for a 26" frame and are raked....?

Thanks,

Paul

7up 10-28-17 11:23 AM

I used to ride a Schwinn single speed. I used a scaffolding bar cut down and slid up over my main fork tubes then bolted.

Philphine 10-30-17 08:46 AM

never heard of them.

to reproduce the choppers we made as kids would involve cutting the fork legs off another pair of forks and jamming them up on the forks of the bike we had.

maybe try modding the forks of a Schwinn occ chopper or jesse james wcc chopper, but I think they are both for 1 1/8" head tubes though.

02Giant 11-08-17 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Philphine (Post 19961071)
never heard of them.

to reproduce the choppers we made as kids would involve cutting the fork legs off another pair of forks and jamming them up on the forks of the bike we had.

maybe try modding the forks of a Schwinn occ chopper or jesse james wcc chopper, but I think they are both for 1 1/8" head tubes though.

That is the way it was done in my neighborhood. Looking back...:eek:

thinktubes 11-12-17 02:24 PM

We sometimes used electrical conduit. Cut to length, mash one end flat, drill to mount wheel.

I remember this being a "press-fit" joint.

Lazyass 11-18-17 06:28 PM

In 1978 my yellow Schwinn Scrambler was stolen and I was crushed. So my grandparents bought me a new bike. To my dismay it was a chopper bike and I hated it, all my buddies had BMX's that we rode on our little mini track we built on some empty land. I bent the forks in the first week going off a jump haha. But to my great joy, it was replaced with a brand new Mongoose with motomags.

MANIFESTTO 11-25-17 06:50 PM

check out Atomic Zombie's website. good luck!

Unshore 07-31-18 07:20 PM

Speaking of zombies I'll bring this one back to say: I was just thinking the other day about how as kids we would cut off the forks from junked bikes and stick them on the end of the fork blades to extend them. I was wondering if other kids did that too, now I know.

Life is funny, I came on here for a totally different reason and came across this.

Broke Joke 08-06-18 11:20 AM

Boy, this brings back great memories !!