Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Is autumn the season? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1080942)

profjmb 09-18-16 10:38 AM

Is autumn the season?

I know there's no right answer, but do you think that autumn is THE season for gravel (more generally, trail) riding? I suppose it depends where you live, but I can't think of a place it wouldn't be lovely.

FBinNY 09-18-16 10:40 AM

IMO Autumn is THE season for all kinds of riding. Best weather combined with best scenery can't be beat.

wheelsmcgee 09-18-16 01:47 PM

Definitely. IMHO fall is the most pleasant, although I'd prefer to ride anytime of year over summer here in Kansas. Heat + humidity + very little shade = no fun.

mstateglfr 09-18-16 01:52 PM

I like fall for gravel riding around me as it seems spring is when the most road work (ie laying down new gravel or regrading current) is done, so some roads can be really tough to ride.
Summer is fantastic and only the heat is a potential negative.

So fall is when it all comes together. Great weather plus roads that are typically more packed/not sloppy.

1242Vintage 09-18-16 05:41 PM

Fall is pretty nice in No. California too for gravel riding. Temps are nice, breeze is sweet, and starting to get some great fall colors.

Just came back from a quick overniter at Lake Tahoe. Have the fat tire bike stashed up there but didn't get a chance to get out and enjoy spectacular fall weather. Seemed like everyone was out on two wheels today.

Heyspike 09-19-16 03:48 PM

Hey Guys/Gals quick question, it's bee a long time since I wrenched on bikes, I have a Cannondale CAADX with 700C wheels and tires, If I go road tires, I would use the same 700C wheels and skinnier tires? Would I have to move the brakes in a bit? I'm running Continentals 700x35's now. Thanks.
BTW- Doing my 1st CX race in November sounds like a blast. Just gotta get past my calf cramps after 10 miles or so.

redlude97 09-19-16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Heyspike (Post 19067402)
Hey Guys/Gals quick question, it's bee a long time since I wrenched on bikes, I have a Cannondale CAADX with 700C wheels and tires, If I go road tires, I would use the same 700C wheels and skinnier tires? Would I have to move the brakes in a bit? I'm running Continentals 700x35's now. Thanks.
BTW- Doing my 1st CX race in November sounds like a blast. Just gotta get past my calf cramps after 10 miles or so.

the good thing about cross is that they are usually shorter than 10 miles :thumb:. You can use your normal wheels with skinny tires and tubes

FBinNY 09-19-16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Heyspike (Post 19067402)

This really belongs in the mechanics forum, but I might as well answer.

The brakes work on the rims, so if you use the same wheels with thinner tires, then the brakes are totally unaffected in any way.

Likewise if you go to wider tires, except then you'd have to worry about the tire maybe being too tall and touching the top of the arch. (under the pivot bolt)

While we're on the subject, there's plenty of latitude for tire width on any rim, but there are optimal ratios. If you do a quick search for bicycle tire and rim width, you'll find a variety of charts all pretty much in agreement. You can go beyond optimal, but try not to go too far out in either direction.

09box 09-27-16 02:52 PM

Summer is best for max amount of sunlight but fall is good because I don't sweat like a roast in the oven when I go out for a ride.