Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Seat Post Collar Size. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1094984)

Heyspike 01-16-17 10:24 AM

Seat Post Collar Size.

Need Seat Post Collar Size. The seat post says it's 31.6 mm, So a 32.0 collar should work? Cannondale Beast of the East 3.
Thanks.

HillRider 01-16-17 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Heyspike (Post 19316118)
Need Seat Post Collar Size. The seat post says it's 31.6 mm, So a 32.0 collar should work? Cannondale Beast of the East 3.

Seat post collars are sized to match the outside diameter of the seat tube, not the seat post.

fietsbob 01-16-17 02:07 PM

You are going to have to buy measuring tools.

ID + 2 x the tube wall thickness is the OD of the tube..

generally tubing uses inch sizes, but are spoken of in metric ..numbers..

;)

dsbrantjr 01-16-17 07:16 PM

A 32.0mm will not work since the seat tube is certainly thicker than 0.2mm (~0.008"). You will need to measure.

JanMM 01-16-17 08:02 PM

Harbor Freight sells a perfectly OK digital caliper for not much.

Davet 01-16-17 09:21 PM

You'll need a 34.8 (35mm) seat post clamp.

Leisesturm 01-16-17 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 19317408)
Harbor Freight sells a perfectly OK digital caliper for not much.

So does Radio Shack...

Heyspike 01-23-17 04:49 AM

Thanks guys, didn't think about adding the frame too.

pdlamb 01-23-17 08:43 AM

IMHO this is one of those questions with "go to your LBS" as the correct answer. Buying a caliper good enough to measure to the nearest tenth of a millimeter is going to cost more than the markup a decent LBS will put on the collar.

HillRider 01-23-17 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 19330251)
IMHO this is one of those questions with "go to your LBS" as the correct answer. Buying a caliper good enough to measure to the nearest tenth of a millimeter is going to cost more than the markup a decent LBS will put on the collar.

Except afterwards you will own the caliper and have it available whenever you need to accurately measure something else. Going to a bike shop only gets you the need to do it again the next time you need similar help.

pdlamb 01-23-17 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 19330957)
Except afterwards you will own the caliper and have it available whenever you need to accurately measure something else. Going to a bike shop only gets you the need to do it again the next time you need similar help.

I know, he who dies with the most toys and all. But let's get real about cost and savings. I've only replaced one seat post collar, and it cost less than $25 at the LBS. Where can you get a decent caliper for anywhere near that? A really good mechanical one (if you can still find such a thing) is upwards of $75. The electronic cheap caliper from Harbor freight was $30, IIRC, and it took another $10 of batteries to get it working again within two years. Cheap plastic mechanical junk cost me more in ordering the wrong size part than either of the other two. So where's the savings again?

HillRider 01-23-17 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 19331462)
I know, he who dies with the most toys and all. But let's get real about cost and savings. I've only replaced one seat post collar, and it cost less than $25 at the LBS. Where can you get a decent caliper for anywhere near that? A really good mechanical one (if you can still find such a thing) is upwards of $75. The electronic cheap caliper from Harbor freight was $30, IIRC, and it took another $10 of batteries to get it working again within two years. Cheap plastic mechanical junk cost me more in ordering the wrong size part than either of the other two. So where's the savings again?

It's not a matter of "toys", it's having a useful tool when you need it. You can get a really decent dial-type stainless steel caliper for $35 or less from several sources and they are both accurate and durable and need no batteries. Since most are in inch calibration you do need to know how to multiply by 25.4.

Yes, "name brands" such as Starrett and Mitutoyo cost much more but are not needed unless you work in a machine shop.

JanMM 01-23-17 08:48 PM

Current online price for HF digital caliper is $19.99. Looks like the one I have. Functional.