Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   New Helmet Time (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1193540)

Biker395 02-08-20 01:11 PM

New Helmet Time

Does anybody have any experienced with the wavecell helmets?

I'm in the market for a new helmet and I am inclined to go with a wavecell helmet because I think they may offer more protection and frontal impacts. But I've read that they are very hot. Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

canklecat 02-08-20 01:53 PM

Some friends here in Texas have the Bontrager WaveCel and Smith Koroyd helmets. They're satisfied with them even in our summer heat, although most of them do more early morning rides which might influence their perceptions of ventilation. Although one fellow is in his 20s, pretty fit and fast and often rides 100-200 mile rides, and hasn't complained about heat in his WaveCel helmet.

I prefer better ventilated helmets but I tend to push a little harder and ride in midday heat. One of my helmets is a POC, which has thicker EPS foam than most helmets (and an overhanging brow that can hinder peripheral vision a bit when I'm in the drops). Ventilation is excellent -- it seems to aggressively scoop air across my head, better than my Bell helmets.

And the WaveCel and Koroyd helmets are a bit heavier. An old neck injury with permanent damage to my C1-C2 occasionally makes me sensitive to extra weight on my noggin, so over time I'm leaning toward lighter helmets. I used to mount video cameras on my helmets, but can't tolerate that weight anymore. Even the size large POC Omne Air Spin is a bit heavier than I'd like. A good commuter helmet for an upright bike, but I can feel the weight in my road bike position. I'm leaning more toward much lighter helmets like the Lazer. But there may be some safety sacrificed for comfort.

rydabent 02-10-20 10:39 AM

As with any type helmet I recommend going with a white or very light colored one. Less heat absorbtion.

Retro Grouch 02-10-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21321968)
As with any type helmet I recommend going with a white or very light colored one. Less heat absorbtion.

I'd be interested in testing that. I wonder how much difference there actually is with all that foam between the colored shell and your head.

ups 02-10-20 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 21319598)

I'm in the market for a new helmet and I am inclined to go with a wavecell helmet because I think they may offer more protection and frontal impacts. But I've read that they are very hot. Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

I sweat regardless of helmet. I have a vented Mountain Bike helmet for Summer and a Snowboard helmet for cooler riding.

I think sometimes people get caught up in the particularities of trying to find the absolute perfect item. Go try one on and it fits give it a shot.

Biker395 02-11-20 09:48 AM

I've decided to go for a wave cell helmet. If nothing else, I can always use it to commute to work. It is virtually never all that hot early in the morning or the late afternoon. If that works out OK, I can always use it on weekend rides.

All let y'all know how it turns out.

davester 02-11-20 11:37 AM

I presume that you are familiar with the only independent helmet testing laboratory...

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

Biker395 02-11-20 01:28 PM

Yes, I am!

I'm strongly inclined to put more faith in independent testing than I am marketing. I think the number three road helmet on that list is a wave cell helmet, and that's the one I was considering.

The problem is, some reviews have said they really don't like the chin strap or the way it mounts to your head. I think I'm going to go for it anyway, as many people do like it.

ups 02-11-20 01:59 PM

It is available at REI.
https://www.rei.com/product/153008/b...wavecel-helmet

If you don't like it you can return it. If you can wait until late March, you can save 20% with the member coupon.

Ogsarg 02-14-20 02:46 PM

I have a Smith helmet that has a honeycomb structure in it in the same places that the wavecell is used. I have not found it to be any hotter than the Giro helmet that had neither.

I might have a hard time buying a wavecell just because of that ridiculous pre-launch marketing campaign where they said it would change cycling forever.

05 fuji 02-14-20 03:39 PM

I have had one for awhile now and have not found it to be hot nor all that heavy. I added the visor to it and it works well.

John E 02-16-20 08:42 PM

I wear a Giro Xen because it is one of the few helmets that properly fit my spherical head shape.

mr_bill 02-16-20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 21319598)

But I've read that they are very hot. Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Other than I paid way too much, it is not hot. At all. Even on the hottest humid summer mid-days in Boston, which this past summer were way hotter and way muggier. With a headsweats underneath no less.

-mr. bill

tigat 02-18-20 06:38 PM

Sorry-late to the party and it looks like you've already decided. Good call.

Early adopter here, xxx in black. I'm wearing my hair a bit long these days (my brothers' wives say it because I'm the oldest and the only one who is not yet bald), so the black helmet in the Colorado sun is the least of my concerns.

The dent it took in a fall last August was deep and required replacement, but I didn't notice I had hit my head at all. I'm treating that as proof of concept.

My wife and daughter are riding them as well. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mainiac 02-19-20 04:21 PM

I have 2 helmets - a MIPS and a Wavwecell, both in the top 8. The only problem with the Wavecell is that you can't stick your finger in to scratch your head. I don't find it warmer than the MIPS.

jppe 02-21-20 07:40 AM

Keep us posted on how you like it. I forgot, what brand were you using before?

I think fit means an awful lot. The Giro models seem to fit my head shape the best. I’ve tried some others but they just ride too low on my head. My brother tried the Bontrager Wasvecell last year but returned it after a while. He found that it was pushing down on his glasses.

I’ve had two side helmet hits and one crown blow. Two were at pretty high speeds, excess of 20 mph. The crown was when I flipped over the handlebars and landed on the asphalt headfirst. That was the softest blow.....but the Giros cracked did their job every time. I’ve shown the helmets to other younger people and told them the crack would have been my skull if I wasn’t wearing the helmet.

Trsnrtr 02-21-20 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 21322640)
I'd be interested in testing that. I wonder how much difference there actually is with all that foam between the colored shell and your head.

Many years ago, I read a test somewhere and there is no difference to speak of. Oddly, same for modern jerseys as shown by pro teams who would be using all white if it made a difference in the rider’s performance. Lots of dark stuff in the pro peloton.

JackieYan 02-25-20 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent (Post 21321968)

That does seem like a good idea, Pretty obvious, but it's never occurred to me before.

Biker395 02-25-20 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 21336498)
Keep us posted on how you like it. I forgot, what brand were you using before?

I think fit means an awful lot. The Giro models seem to fit my head shape the best. I’ve tried some others but they just ride too low on my head. My brother tried the Bontrager Wasvecell last year but returned it after a while. He found that it was pushing down on his glasses.

I’ve had two side helmet hits and one crown blow. Two were at pretty high speeds, excess of 20 mph. The crown was when I flipped over the handlebars and landed on the asphalt headfirst. That was the softest blow.....but the Giros cracked did their job every time. I’ve shown the helmets to other younger people and told them the crack would have been my skull if I wasn’t wearing the helmet.

I've always used Bell helmets ... going back to the V1-Pro. I'm not exactly sure why.

No question my helmet saved me a serious (and maybe fatal) head injury. I guess people can make their own decisions about things like this, but lemme tell you ... TBIs are no joke. You can get a serious TBI even with a helmet, so to me it makes no sense at all not to wear one.

I just ordered the Bontrager Specter. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

I'm out of the slings, casts, and braces. I start PT in a week, and I'm actually thinking I'll be back on the bike in a couple of weeks ... albeit for short distances at first.

I can't wait.

jppe 02-27-20 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 21342015)
I've always used Bell helmets ... going back to the V1-Pro. I'm not exactly sure why.

No question my helmet saved me a serious (and maybe fatal) head injury. I guess people can make their own decisions about things like this, but lemme tell you ... TBIs are no joke. You can get a serious TBI even with a helmet, so to me it makes no sense at all not to wear one.

I just ordered the Bontrager Specter. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

I'm out of the slings, casts, and braces. I start PT in a week, and I'm actually thinking I'll be back on the bike in a couple of weeks ... albeit for short distances at first.

I can't wait.

Alright!!! Good to hear. Easy does it to start with!!

DiabloScott 02-28-20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 21342015)
I've always used Bell helmets ... going back to the V1-Pro.

That was my first helmet too - about 1984. This VETTA was my second. And the Stanford guy has a V1 Pro!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/oS...w1403-h1041-no

I was thinking I've had probably 12 helmets in 36 years. At least two of which took head strikes that may have been consequential.

Biker395 02-28-20 07:19 PM

The new lid ....
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...78ea8555f.jpeg

avmech 03-01-20 09:46 AM

Recently acquired a Bell MIPS helmet. It is lighter and cooler than my previous LG non-MIPS helmet. Also has a red blinker on the back of the adjuster.......