Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Who's buying all these high end bikes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1112237)

linberl 06-23-17 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19673504)
It is about priorities. I was able to buy my custom, customised bicycle because I chose to live in a decent, but inexpensive apartment ... and chose not to own a motor vehicle.

By doing that I was able to travel a lot more ... and buy bicycles. :)

My millennial son doesn't have a car, either, and doesn't want one. He uses BART to go to work. And spends his money on bikes and beer :lol: (and interesting ways to hang them in his apartment).

BillyD 06-23-17 07:33 PM

Alright guys, enough with the political discussion . . . and ranting.

Thankyouverymuch!

JagR 06-24-17 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 19673387)
Source please, and not Breitbart or Fox.

Fair and Balanced. Do you prefer CNN?

CNN and company - 97% - coverage
FOX - 48-52%

JagR 06-24-17 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by linberl (Post 19673292)
Illegal immigrants are NOT driving up housing prices in the Bay Area. Lolz. The "immigrants' in the Bay Area driving up housing prices are American citizens leaving poor-economy states for better jobs. Where in the world do you live?

Citizens or residents? This sound like another "talking point"

Can't we learn from countries in the EU? It is a disaster there and we are not learning from their mistakes!

europa 06-24-17 03:04 AM

Come on, the boss has asked us to tone this down, now a common or garden forumite is doing so. If I want this sort of discussion, I go to A & S

JagR 06-24-17 03:14 AM

Agree and apologies. I responded before I got to request/end of the thread.

bobwysiwyg 06-24-17 03:25 AM

My apologies as well for my contribution.

ironwood 06-24-17 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 19672547)
They aren't for the "average Joe Biker". They are for the people who have found a way through education and experience to earn an above average income. :)

Or, to have had the wisdom and foresight to pick rich families into which to be born.

europa 06-24-17 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ironwood (Post 19674078)
Or, to have had the wisdom and foresight to pick rich families into which to be born.

Stop pointing out the mistakes I've made in life. I've had wunnerful parents thank you very much, they've just been less affluent than some might have hoped. Dad keeps telling me that when he dies, I'll get a bill :twitchy: Cripes, my kids'll probably get a bill :eek:

I live in hope that one of my kids will hang onto my beloved Hillbrick and tell every visitor, "Dad commissioned that bike" (neither are long enough in the legs to ride it). I fear that it'll be more a case of "I wish we could sell the rotten thing"

ironwood 06-24-17 08:02 AM

The most expensive bike is often cheaper than the least expensive car. If having the right bike pleases you buy it or order it built.

rydabent 06-24-17 08:37 AM

Must be nice to have unlimited funds. Both my bent and my trike are only a few levels up from entry level machines.

Garfield Cat 06-24-17 08:56 AM

Bike statistics:

Statistics Library - Participation Statistics Archives | PeopleForBikes

shelbyfv 06-24-17 04:13 PM

I find that cycling is relatively inexpensive compared to some other hobbies. Think of the costs of boating, golf memberships, ski trips, RVs. I think most of us ride the bikes we want to ride. I doubt many here spend much time wishing they could justify a more expensive bike, at least not those over age 18.

bobwysiwyg 06-24-17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 19674911)
I find that cycling is relatively inexpensive compared to some other hobbies. Think of the costs of boating, golf memberships, ski trips, RVs. I think most of us ride the bikes we want to ride. I doubt many here spend much time wishing they could justify a more expensive bike, at least not those over age 18.

I agree. :thumb:

bobwysiwyg 06-24-17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat (Post 19674281)

I'm a bit of a stats geek, find this interesting, thanks for posting.

big john 06-24-17 09:41 PM

Exactly. I rode motorcycles off-road for 10 years, I dabbled with a boat, I restored (sort of) old cars, and I experienced divorce. The cost of high-end cycling is Nothing compared to some other hobbies, especially divorce.

I'm a pissant car mechanic and I can buy whatever bicycle I want, big deal. If you want an expensive bike, whatever that is to you, just get it.

JagR 06-25-17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg (Post 19674930)
I agree. :thumb:

After you have all of the equipment. Very expensive to get started.

Biker395 06-25-17 08:26 AM

Boy, you've got that right! Once you get the bike and basics.

The clothes have a way of lasting forever. I have jerseys 25 years old and still wear them.

The bikes are relatively cheap and last forever. A $500 bike is perfectly fine for most things, and at that price, cost less than the average pair of skis ... which is just a few layers of fiberglass and metal glued together. And then you have to buy boots.

Biker395 06-25-17 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 19675387)
The cost of high-end cycling is Nothing compared to some other hobbies, especially divorce.

lol ... that there is simple truth.

Originally Posted by big john (Post 19675387)
I'm a pissant car mechanic and I can buy whatever bicycle I want, big deal. If you want an expensive bike, whatever that is to you, just get it.

I think you should change your title on FB from "senior member" to "pissant mechanic."

52telecaster 06-25-17 08:59 AM

i dont have huge income but i am saving for an off the peg bob jackson world tour frameset. my 61st bday is a perfect excuse.

St33lWh33ls 06-25-17 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by RockiesDad (Post 19670493)
Personally, I would like a Ti gravel bike...

What do you think?

Buy used. I purchased two used Moots frames for a fraction of what they cost new. Titanium doesn't rust and unless there is some obvious crash damage metal fatigue is not an issue. The frames come in all sizes so fit shouldn't be an issue unless you are a platypus. I built up a PsychloX for gravel duty, in all honesty it could replace the Compact as it is a versatile bike and could do double duty as a decent roadie with an extra set of wheels or a tire change.

southpier 06-25-17 09:57 AM

I worked for a guy who road enough to ride about 5% of a charity/ fund raising event and then didn't ride until the following year. he needed to have kit and bike to fill out his street image in the parade. but he had enough money to back it up and I assume he also made a donation.

i'd but 20 bikes by different builders if I had the money. but then I would probably want something else after that ....

PaulH 06-25-17 04:54 PM

I'm thinking of getting a Utopia, because I'd like a larger gear range for steep hills and they can be ordered with a Rohloff. Set up the way I'd like, it would be a bit short of $3,800, plus importing costs.https://www.utopia-velo.de/fileadmin...int_59_rot.jpg

If a bike is your primary vehicle, I think there's a good use case. No reason why the average Joe couldn't have one -- it's cheaper than the typical entry-level used car.

kbarj 06-25-17 05:04 PM

To answer the original post...not me. As many have mentioned - for a lot of us it's really about priorities. I'm happy on a low-end Trek hybrid. Could have spent a little more, but don't know that I'd have felt good about it. Having said that, I have zero problems with someone in my financial circumstance choosing to spend big bucks on a custom bike. My two main guitars (one custom, one limited edition) would make me a hypocrite to think otherwise.

big chainring 06-25-17 06:03 PM

I was tempted to buy a Schwinn something-or-other that was marked down to $450. I was about to pull the trigger on it when I started to notice the welds on it. Really ugly.

For $350 on ebay I got a 1960's Viking, 531 frame and full Campy components, and an Ideale saddle to boot. Its like a work of art in comparison. Classic English 40/32 spoked wheels. If I tried to buy a comparable new lugged frame I would be out $1000 or more.

I'll save my pennies and stick with vintage steel.