Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Toilet paper wars? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195736)

Hondo Gravel 03-13-20 07:31 PM

Toilet paper wars?

Explain why people are fighting over toilet paper? I know ya need to wipe but getting into a fight over a package of TP? Are people going to use It as currency? Or are people going to TP each other’s trees? I don’t get it :eek:

prairiepedaler 03-13-20 07:55 PM

Step outside yourself and become an observational third party immersed in this mass social experiment. Take notes as to people's behavior and how societal managers will use this crisis as a grab for power. This occurs without fail (i.e. the Patriot Act). During this time in history, I also encourage all to watch or re-watch "Wag the Dog" with Robert DeNiro and Dustin Hoffman.

Hondo Gravel 03-13-20 08:12 PM

Eric Cartman has the TP thing solved.

Seattle Forrest 03-13-20 09:32 PM

Are they still making new South Parks?

Hondo Gravel 03-13-20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21366189)
Are they still making new South Parks?

Not sure. I watch plenty or reruns...

Trevtassie 03-13-20 10:20 PM

People are feeling powerless in the face of an implacable foe they can't see or stop. Buying shed loads of date roll is their way of taking some control. If it's not already, hand sanitiser will be next.
In the meantime the stuff they actually will need if they get sick are in plentiful supply, cough medicine, for both dry and wet coughs, throat lozenges, paracetamol for fever, oral rehydration mixes etc etc. I had a brutal flu in December, and I needed all that by the truck load. Can't say it was Covid 19 unless that whole conspiracy about it starting in the US military is true (was in Antarctica and the US Air Force fly there) but it sucked, especially since I worked outside. It's now 2 1/2 months later and I still cough stuff up in the mornings.
Incidentally we stocked up on supplies about 3 weeks ago, Blind Freddy could see that Covid19 was going to go ballistic as most countries aren't able to introduce the same social controls China did, since they don't have the same range of coercive threats China does to ensure compliance.

CliffordK 03-13-20 11:48 PM

Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how much TP the average person uses. I currently use very little. I think when I was really using a lot, a roll might last me a month or so.

But, I'm seeing estimates on the internet of a couple of rolls a week!! :eek:Although, perhaps it depends on whether men or women are writing the articles.

So, if it is a roll a month, then a 12 pack would be sufficient to stock up for a year.
If it is a couple of rolls a week, then skip the food and pile on the TP.

Perhaps rather than fighting for the last roll of TP on the shelf, it is time to figure out how to take care of one's needs without cutting down a forest.

genec 03-14-20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21366280)
Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how much TP the average person uses. I currently use very little. I think when I was really using a lot, a roll might last me a month or so.

But, I'm seeing estimates on the internet of a couple of rolls a week!! :eek:Although, perhaps it depends on whether men or women are writing the articles.

So, if it is a roll a month, then a 12 pack would be sufficient to stock up for a year.

Perhaps rather than fighting for the last roll of TP on the shelf, it is time to figure out how to take care of one's needs without cutting down a forest.

Quality of TP is also an issue. That slick industrial stuff they supply at my office is rather poorly designed for the purpose. Quality stuff does the job well, while requiring less quantity.
​​​
So "more" isn't always "better."

canklecat 03-14-20 12:44 AM

Some people and health conditions do warrant more TP than usual. As my mom's health deteriorated with age and her Alzheimer's and tremors worsened, she developed excessive phlegm drainage. The problem worsened after she was intubated for surgery -- she had trouble swallowing. So it wasn't unusual for her to go through a roll of toilet paper every day. My granddad had a similar problem, although his was due to COPD and congestive heart failure related to heavy smoking when he was younger. He quit in his 50s but the damage was done by then and plagued him for the next 25 or so years. He could fill a wastebasket with TP and tissues every day.

I can't think of any alternatives to toilet paper and tissue that wouldn't be much worse for those conditions.

I was my mom's caregiver for her final decade and just got in the habit of keeping plenty of TP around, so I won't run out anytime soon now that I live alone (well, me and the cats). But I bought another bulk pack the other day after realizing the last bulk pack I bought was all single ply. Yeah, you can double and triple up on the single ply stuff, but it's a PITA to use. So I'll stash that in the back of the closet for actual emergencies.

billyymc 03-14-20 05:54 AM

Keep in mind that there aren't really substitute products for TP. That's part of why when people stock up on supplies, TP goes fast and makes it look like people are nuts. It's pretty much the one product in the store that is meant for the purpose it's meant for.

People may stock up on food also, but there are hundreds or even thousands of food products in a large grocery store in the US. There are products that are perfectly acceptable substitutes for other products. And people even buy lots of stuff (like canned products) they wouldn't normally.

Trevtassie 03-14-20 06:05 AM

The Washlet rules, I use 4 sheets a day only because I cheaped out and didn't get one with a blow dryer...

Jim from Boston 03-14-20 06:25 AM

Toilet paper wars?

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21366280)

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21366289)
Quality of TP is also an issue. That slick industrial stuff they supply at my office is rather poorly designed for the purpose. Quality stuff does the job well, while requiring less quantity.
​​​
So "more" isn't always "better."

Singer Sheryl Crow has posted her estimates:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...usicnews.music

"All I wanna do is have some fun," sang Sheryl Crow once, but it appears her desires have since changed. Now all she wants to do is limit the use of toilet paper to one sheet per visit.

The singer made her declaration in an article for the Huffington Post to help promote her Stop Global Warming College Tour, an 11-date tour explaining the perils of global warming to Americans. Accompanied by Laurie David, activist and wife of comedian Larry David, the pair have been criss-crossing the country in a biodiesel-powered bus spreading the word on the bathroom hygiene of the future.

According to Crow's new strictures, the average person should use "only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where two to three could be required".

Further details were not offered as to the precise nature of these "pesky occasions", though "we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work", she insists.

skidder 03-14-20 06:59 AM

Just what you tree-hugging, toilet paper saving fanatics need:

https://myomigo.com/?msclkid=46e861e...ontent=General

genec 03-14-20 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 21366392)
Toilet paper wars?Singer Sheryl Crow has posted her estimates:

The reality is the batroom hygiene of the future should involve a lot less paper and more hygenic washing.

I read one opinion piece that compared American toilets to bedpans with holes...

The Japanese and Finnish folkks have it right... washing is the future.

Even Kohler had future toilets at CES.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18...oilet-ces-2019

In Finland, every pooper had a wash wand nearby... even the corner gas station. And really, not that difficult to retrofit... if only Americans would learn to wash, rather than wipe... ewwwww.

Hondo Gravel 03-14-20 07:43 AM

Use tree leaves or tree bark like in the old days.

genec 03-14-20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel (Post 21366451)
Use tree leaves or tree bark like in the old days.

Watch for poison ivy/oak. YIKES

Hondo Gravel 03-14-20 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21366500)

:roflmao:

GrainBrain 03-14-20 08:52 AM

Yeah this toilet paper thing is ridiculous. If you're stuck at home for weeks why not use your shower and a wash cloth? If we ever buy a home we're getting a bidet or something, using just TP is super gross.

I reflected to my wife that if I felt the need to hoard months of goods; I'd probably buy a rifle, water filter, fishing gear, and vegetable seeds. Not TP, bottled water and small bottles of hand sanitizer :lol::rolleyes:

Hondo Gravel 03-14-20 09:31 AM

I ate all you’re TP and I’m hiding in this cocoon away from you crazy humans.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edffcd500.jpeg

clemsongirl 03-14-20 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 21366415)
Just what you tree-hugging, toilet paper saving fanatics need:

You don’t have to be a ‘tree-hugger’ to use a bidet…it’s about personal hygiene. I’ve used one my whole life. Also the water use is trivial compared to how much water is used to produce toilet paper and then the trees needed too for those who do care about the environment, ‘tree-hugger’/fanatic or not.

CliffordK 03-14-20 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21366500)

I don't react to poison oak, at least on the hands.

Stinging Nettles?

Jseis 03-14-20 10:35 AM

Forget TP, our Warrenton Costco got cleaned out yesterday of: Bread, canned food, PB, etc. and most food that has a remotely longer shelf life.

Plenty of gas LOL.

Seattle Forrest 03-14-20 10:38 AM

I give it to mice to build nests with.

You can buy enough canned food for a month in a hand basket. TP comes in huge packages, so it's more conspicuous when people buy it, and when it's missing from the shelves.

Seattle Forrest 03-14-20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21366636)
I don't react to poison oak, at least on the hands.

Stinging Nettles?

My grandmother never reacted to poison ivy, immune her whole life. She'd pull it out of her property with bare hands. But the immunity wore off in old age, before the practice did.

locolobo13 03-14-20 11:01 AM

They're ruining my routine. I buy groceries Saturday mornings. To avoid the crowds. That didn't work out this morning. The produce aisle was normal.

Funny thing yesterday, the deli said I couldn't refill my cup. They wanted me to ask for a new cup before refilling. Rarely need a refill anyway.

BTW: TP gone, one roll of paper towels left at the grocery store. I think I got enuff to get thru the panic. Enough washrags and cloth towels if not. Read somewhere the Romans used sponges. In civilized society you were expected to clean and replace the sponge for the next person.