Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Growing Up Vs. Growing Old (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1049801)

osco53 02-21-16 06:17 AM

Growing Up Vs. Growing Old

Life Lessons from Mountain Biking: Growing Up vs. Growing Old | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun,,,,
From “Time” by Pink Floyd (lyrics by Roger Waters)

Yesterday I did 13.7 miles of Hard Intervals,,In the woods/OFF ROAD, Combat breathing was a must, and I'm 57..

Yep, This Is me :P

So I ask, What Is your plan to stay young until the reaper comes calling ?

"Nothing Compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike"
~John F. Kennedy

Gerryattrick 02-21-16 07:25 AM

It's an attitude of mind, rather than a specific activity, that keeps us young. I know disabled people in their 80s in wheelchairs who are younger than many 30 year olds.

If I didn't cycle I'd just find some other ways to keep active and enjoy life.

Retro Grouch 02-21-16 07:31 AM

"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Last week somebody posted about middle aged folks getting a knock on their head, not seeking medical treatment, and consequently dying in their sleep. I was thinking that would be a good thing. Never getting old and checking our painlessly.

I used to worry about EVERYTHING. Today, not nearly so much. Don't think that I'm as old as I used to be.

plodderslusk 02-21-16 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=505685

bargeon 02-21-16 08:36 AM

I try not to spend too much time in the company of other old farts talking about (not) getting old.

OldsCOOL 02-21-16 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by osco53 (Post 18552738)
Life Lessons from Mountain Biking: Growing Up vs. Growing Old | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun,,,,
From “Time” by Pink Floyd (lyrics by Roger Waters)

Yesterday I did 13.7 miles of Hard Intervals,,In the woods/OFF ROAD, Combat breathing was a must, and I'm 57..

Yep, This Is me :P

So I ask, What Is your plan to stay young until the reaper comes calling ?

"Nothing Compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike"
~John F. Kennedy

I'm with you, ride hard. Life is short.

I may even try a race or two before heaven.

Riding is the closest thing to flying.
-Robin Williams

dougmon 02-21-16 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by plodderslusk (Post 18552850)

+1.

Also, although I'm a fairly inexperienced biker, biking is the first exercise I've found that makes me feel better after I've done it. So maybe that will keep me young.

Barrettscv 02-21-16 08:46 AM

I don't want to grow old, but I'm glad I'm not a juvenile or a twentysomething.

I plan to stay fit, carefully enjoy a healthy Mediterranean diet and to travel.

My idea of what defines "fit" has a cycling related standard: fit is able to complete a 100 mile ride in 7 hours. I also need a regular strength training routine, and plan to start one this year. Diet is even more important, I'm getting closer to a no-junk-food, only healthy and fresh vegetarian diet, with a few decadent meals a month. Travel to foreign lands keeps the mind young, as does any new interest and experience.

GlennR 02-21-16 08:51 AM

My mom tells me all the time it's time to dress like a grown up.

My wife tells me i act like a teenager (pull my finger).

While I have "grownup", i'm not growing old. I'm comfortable associating with people my people in their 20s and up. I dislike when with friends the discussion turns to doctors and ailments and stays there too long.

I'm 60 years old and in better shape than when i was 50. I've learned that I have physical limitation and accept them, but still push my limits to the edge and sometimes past. I go to spin class and kick ass on the 30 year old ladies there.. and enjoy. I go on B group rides with 40 year olds that can't keep up. And i go on A group rides with 60-70 years olds that can drop me at anytime and i'm inspired.

Growing old is being sedentary both physically and mentally, just passing time. I don't plan on ever doing that.

Kindaslow 02-21-16 10:38 AM

As long as I can MTB my favorite trails, I must be young. I see 100 or more people who are younger than me for every 1 person that is older. Road riding has a lot of older folks and I really do not enjoy it unless there is pretty scenery, which of course can occur on any mup in the summer....

canklecat 02-21-16 12:18 PM

I'm not old. My body is. We take turns fighting over who's in charge of this journey.

osco53 02-21-16 05:06 PM

"It's an attitude of mind, rather than a specific activity, that keeps us young. I know disabled people in their 80s in wheelchairs who are younger than many 30 year olds."
~~~
"I'm with you, ride hard. Life is short. "
~~~
"I go on B group rides with 40 year olds that can't keep up. And i go on A group rides with 60-70 years olds that can drop me at anytime and i'm inspired."
~~~
"I'm not old. My body is. We take turns fighting over who's in charge of this journey."
Next Time I'm In the zone, the flow, I will remember these words of wisdom and use them wisely.
And the next time some 'old guy' decides to drop me I'm gonna make Him work for it :P

1989Pre 02-21-16 05:18 PM

I would like to produce a website called Modern Immaturity, as a take-off of the magazine Modern Maturity.
I feel that maturity is over-rated, in any event.
My best weapon against becoming jaded is watching over-the-top comedies. I found a new one, recently, one from 2001, actually, called Bubble Boy. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
So, in essence, while I am growing old, I am most certainly not growing up!

ltxi 02-21-16 06:27 PM

Folk my age, 73, are for the most part a drag. Betty White is my idol.

David Bierbaum 02-21-16 06:56 PM

Alas, I have no experience with growing up; only with growing old... ;)

JanMM 02-21-16 09:04 PM

My plan is to continue to bike faster than the Grim Reaper can run.

1989Pre 02-21-16 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ltxi (Post 18554082)
Folk my age, 73, are for the most part a drag. Betty White is my idol.

Being a drag feels good. I wish I had been "a drag" in high school. It might have kept me out of trouble. Enjoy the sense of order that saying no to everything brings. Do you have your Remains Of The Day t-shirt?
Betty White may have been a hellcat in real life. We can't say, for certain. Remember when Shelly Winters saved the day in The Poseidon Adventure? Well then.., there you have it.

sgtdirt 02-21-16 11:03 PM

it's like i have a fire in my gut that can't be put out. when i race, i'm not only trying to beat my competitors, i'm trying to out do myself. although inevitable, i refuse to concede to my time on this rock.

79pmooney 02-21-16 11:09 PM

I stopped growing up years ago. Now it's down. Every height check confirms it.

Ben

billd76 02-22-16 08:44 AM

Hmmm, Love the Floyd references!! I like David B's reply. Wife keeps telling me to quit trying to be a rock n roll star. But I can't stop... I am blessed to still be here!! So I see no point in not thinking like I'm 21 or 30, even though the mirror says I'm not. I will keep running, cycling, hiking, motorcycling, playing rock n roll guitar, until it is simply no longer possible. I remember the old T shirt, "Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll". Still applies, only the drugs prescribed :). A lot of younger folks ask me why I do all the fitness stuff I do, and say you're gonna die any way. I just tell them they are correct, and that I can't think of a better way to go. This is one of my favorites, and I don't remember who said it, Lee Marvin I think "The idea is to die young as late as possible".

obed7 02-22-16 09:56 AM

I like myself the way I am now...not sure my wife would have liked me much when I was young, I am much mellower now than I was then, though every time I say that my wife laughs.

indyfabz 02-22-16 10:02 AM

Botox.

rando_couche 02-22-16 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by plodderslusk (Post 18552850)

Yes! I made it (12 years ago)!

SP
OC, OR

rando_couche 02-22-16 10:36 AM

Sweetie and I went to a retirement planning workshop the other weekend (now that we're both in our 60's!), and one of the tools they gave us was a life expectancy calculator. Plugged in my numbers and it said I'll live to 92! All right! Another 30 years to ride my bike!

SP
OC, OR

Wileyrat 02-22-16 10:58 AM

Whenever someone asks me that classic line "don't you think you're getting a little old to be doing that", I always respond with a nope.

Yesterday my wife told me I was crazy, but I'm used to hearing either "you're crazy", or "you're nuts". I think when I stop hearing that, then I'll be old.